MrManslayerX

Road Map for CS:S 2.0

Alright guys, it's about time I give another public state of affairs address for CS:S Division. This is going to be a lengthy one, so grab your eye-drops and reading glasses.

-----

Overview
I'll start things out by saying, well, it's not looking good overall. I'm sure at least some of you have read Roy's announcement regarding the state of affairs for each Division; the player metrics for CS:S are plummeting rapidly.
Not even GFL itself, but CS:S as a whole. A few months ago CS:S was over 30k players a day... Now we're lucky to hit 10k.
I'm hoping that through myself, Thomas, Dub, and the rest of our server team's efforts, we can dig GFL into CS:S and establish a niche community for ourselves that can live on as long as CS:S does.
But, that's if we can re-plant our roots fast enough to allow ourselves to re-grow enough to weather the storm.

-----
SURF RPG DM
For the CS:S Surf RPG server, which I'm sure most of you are concerned with, of course you know that right now we're between a rock and a hard place. We just reverted the server back from the major overhaul we did, and now we need to rebuild from the roots. I'll be making a new thread in our respective sub-forum that we may use to accrue feedback henceforth. This can be a good thing though, because now we have a good idea of what's possible with the server, and what we can re-implement as the community so wills.
I'm aware of the standing issues with the server at this point in time, and I wish to address these first before we build out again. One of the main mistakes I made before was that we piled new content in, but not all of it was working as intended, and it created a disconnect between the intended experience and the actual result.
So, like any good scientist, I wish to methodically re-introduce the variables and pave them out as they're done, so we can have a more steady, smooth experience for everybody. Shortly after this announcement post, I will be working on a mega-poll thread in which we can vote for which RPG stats/skills we would like to see, as well as what iteration we would like to see them in.
We also have a few people bursting at the brim with the desire to become admins, which I have promised them they would, it's just very difficult to find the time to train everybody when I have to be the one to personally train them, on top of the rest of the server work, and other life circumstances I have to deal with.
That said, I encourage everybody to have patience- Though I'm aware a lot of patience has already been burned thin- because as it stands, we're effectively just a three man team working on the server, them being Dub, Thomas, and myself. And as it stands, Thomas and myself aren't entirely effective at navigating the back-end insofar as plugins and code. So, that responsibility mainly falls on Dub's head, which is, understandably, a difficult task to handle all of this load as one person. It also needs to be a coordinated effort between us, which again increases the latency on responses to the issues at hand.

-----
New Server!
That about covers it for the Surf server, now let me discuss the other server project I'm working on - W3S mod!
Warcraft mod is a game mode where you pick a class with different traits and skills, which you level up and unlock along the way, and in turn unlock new classes to play with! The playstyle will be more towards vanilla- Two teams; bomb/kill eachother to win the round; no respawns (By default, features can include respawning); standard maps, (A few outliers;) et cetera. When we get closer to our invite-alpha, we'll make an announcement post further detailing the confines of the server, but as for now, do know that it's actively being worked on, and progress is coming along nicely.
Back in another game clan I was in years ago, I was helping run THE biggest and most successful Warcraft Mod server in CS:S history, so I know exactly what we need to do it, do it right, and perfect it.
-----
CS:S Bhop
This'll be a short section... As far as I know, there's no glaring issues standing here, but I'm open to any sort of suggestions/feedback about it. Direct your comments to myself and/or it's manager, @Reeve.

-----
Summary
All said and done, sure, the player traffic to CS:S has massively declined, but I haven't lost faith yet. I have big plans for this new W3S server, and I'm going to do my damnedest to make the CS:S Surf server what we want it to be. I've been keeping a close eye on all your feedback, (though, not so much as of the past week, due to life circumstances, sorry!) and I'm doing my best to consult with my team in making things happen; just do bare in mind that it's not going to be the most rapid process, thanks to us being very taxed for the small team that we are.
All I can really do is ask for continued patience and to keep whatever faith you have left in us.
And of course, I thank you all for coming along for the ride! Veteran players, my operators and admins, newer players, whoever it is that plays here. It's been a great ride so far and it's been a very enriching experience for me, and I hope to make our dreams come to fruition insofar as making GFL a staple in the CS:S community for many moons to come!

I am a bit excited now, as I really like W3S. Would be interested in being involved with the server as I enjoy W3S. 

This feels like the right step to take for CSS. I am looking forward to the suggestions the community provides for CSS. After hearing your passive rant in TS3 yesterday, I can tell you know the situation and how to fix it for the current divisions and future divisions.