Devon

server is dead

Posted (edited)

So I knew this was going to happen because of all the stupid pointless add-on's this server has gotten. so I just want to say a few words about this server and GFL in itsself.

First off; from the get go, whoever's idea it was recruiting Manslayer at the time to Server manager was on some type of drug that I would want a dose of. walking into the position as

1: Not liked.

2: Not educated in how to run a server nor knows how to use any programs.

3: Not liked.

with the server always being at a population of at least 10-15 players 24/7, the server has now dropped to 0 players, 24/7. This server used to be great to go on even if you weren't playing because the community that was with it was great. I'd sit in the server for hours having conversation with players I've met along the way such as disappoint, samwitch, Runda,  der manaconda, and a few others that I have actually built a personal friendship with. these players cease to exist on that server now. This server has been turned into a server that Manslayer likes (in which he is never online anyways). 

So anyways, I just want to say to Roy (and SoJa at the time), thank you for having a great server in the past, it was filled with cool people and I learned how to play cs:s surf better on this server. but now its pointless and its wasting money monthly to keep it going because really... I believe its not generating any income. 

This isn't a post to boycott MrManSlayer (pretty gay name though... like ManSlayer in what context?) but its to raise the awareness that this server is gone, its dead, and there is no coming back. so congratulations on ruining a great server that at one time, was great to be on even if you weren't playing.

- Devon

Edited by Devon
misspelled.
2 people like this

:(

Posted (edited)

Thanks alot Manslayer.... 

Change your name to Serverslayer..

EDIT: I thought it was fucking hilarious when Manslayer hired this Dubz guy to fix the server... Why the fuck would you hire someone whose own server fucking died to take care of the GFL server?

Edited by Seismik

5 hours ago, Seismik said:

Thanks alot Manslayer.... 

Change your name to Serverslayer..

EDIT: I thought it was fucking hilarious when Manslayer hired this Dubz guy to fix the server... Why the fuck would you hire someone whose own server fucking died to take care of the GFL server?

Seismik I miss you.

Posted (edited)

I played this game mode a long time ago

and I liked it back then, now it's dead and borin'

I agree witchu

JS

Edited by Finnick

I'm not going to bother trying to defend myself against any sort of comments or attacks against myself.
However I will say the same thing I've been saying for the past quarter of a year.
At the time I decided to recruit Dubstep_kicks to develop for the server, I have to mention that our server player metrics were WAY down, and continuing to decline fast. This is a fact and that can not be disputed, I saw the player graphs with my own eyes and that much was acknowledged by other team members at the time.
I have run my own server before, and I have helped run several other community's servers as a critical member of the staff team, and all of these were very successful communities and servers, in which I was well liked and respected, but that's neither here nor there.
I admit I don't know all that much about code, but this much was said when I was recruited for manager in the first place, and for Division Leader. Everybody already knew this, it wasn't a secret.
I'm perfectly competent in dealing with the face-value of plugins and other file management needs in the back-end as well. I would also like to call to light that a lot of the issues we had were tied to the code of the plugins in question and, as previously mentioned, the code aspect is over my head.
I used the resources I had, insofar as our technical administrators and fellow knowledgeable staff, in order to deal with these issues.
As it stands, yea, the server is pretty much complete, excepting the one glaring issue of the map chooser plugin being somewhat broken, but it was still well possible to pick the maps that were to be played by means of Nominate and RTV.
As for how I choose to run the server... I have heard that apparently I have been 'doing whatever I wanted'? Not the case at all. I have run votes on all major aspects of the server that were changed, and I have stayed true to the results of those votes.
If I weren't listening to people, I'd have kept things how they were during the overhaul, which I personally thought was a better product to offer to the players, hence why I allowed it to happen in the first place.
I chose to do the overhaul because the player population was quickly dying, and I saw something needed to change soon before the server simply outright died. As I have mentioned before, I have been watching the player metrics, and I can beyond all doubt confirm this to be true. I closely followed every tidbit of feedback from it and made all of the adjustments as quickly as possible in order to bring things in line with how the playerbase wanted them.
Any changes that I pushed into the server that weren't directly preceded by a vote were concepts that have been discussed for a long time, where interest to have these features done have been expressed before. (I.E: Store, Prestige, Sticky Nades, etc.)
If anybody would like to personally discuss with me why I did things the way I did, feel more than free to drop me a line. I have nothing to hide, and I was doing my very best for the server, which seems to have come to naught anyhow.

1 person likes this

I'm not familiar with the server, the players or the person you're calling out, but the two arguments you proposed are pretty fucking weak. 

For one you're solely saying he isn't liked. Why aren't you presenting a reason or two which makes him dislikable to the point where him receiving manager was the end of the world for you? Also, what changes did he make to the server that pissed you guys off so much? How are these "pointless add-on's" you mention ruining the server? Pinning all of the blame on him without really offering any reason to your arguments for the decline in population is lackluster. Might as well be because the group of players you mentioned and yourself all decided from the get-go  that he was going to be terrible and you just stopped playing after you saw some stuff you didn't like rather than giving some constructive criticism.  Do you have a better candidate for a manager spot? Do you have any solutions at all, or is this just a massive circlejerk witch hunt? Maybe you have some valid points, but then present them that way rather than just creating a purely toxic topic like this where you just come off as an asshat.

Secondly, the majority of server managers all have/had little to no experience prior to being promoted. This includes myself when I was given manager and I think all of the current Directors. If I recall correctly Shuruia was even named Division Leader before he was a manager with no prior experience working with servers. Almost every single manager I helped appoint when I was a CS:GO Division Leader needed training from the ground up, so using that as a punchline against this guy doesn't really work in this community all things considered.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, FrenZy said:

I'm not familiar with the server, the players or the person you're calling out, but the two arguments you proposed are pretty fucking weak. 

For one you're solely saying he isn't liked. Why aren't you presenting a reason or two which makes him dislikable to the point where him receiving manager was the end of the world for you? Also, what changes did he make to the server that pissed you guys off so much? How are these "pointless add-on's" you mention ruining the server? Pinning all of the blame on him without really offering any reason to your arguments for the decline in population is lackluster. Might as well be because the group of players you mentioned and yourself all decided from the get-go  that he was going to be terrible and you just stopped playing after you saw some stuff you didn't like rather than giving some constructive criticism.  Do you have a better candidate for a manager spot? Do you have any solutions at all, or is this just a massive circlejerk witch hunt? Maybe you have some valid points, but then present them that way rather than just creating a purely toxic topic like this where you just come off as an asshat.

Secondly, the majority of server managers all have/had little to no experience prior to being promoted. This includes myself when I was given manager and I think all of the current Directors. If I recall correctly Shuruia was even named Division Leader before he was a manager with no prior experience working with servers. Almost every single manager I helped appoint when I was a CS:GO Division Leader needed training from the ground up, so using that as a punchline against this guy doesn't really work in this community all things considered.

Any problems I had was taken to the head of the server. Any changes that were talked about being made I voiced my opinion opposing it. As to offering, I am a computer programmer, I am majoring in computer science, I have ran my own servers, all of this was mention to the leader as I was seeking a position to help. Three months went by with not even being trained as an OP, after I was accepted. Dub shy in the server and was already promoted to admin before any others that was far more deserving. I have extended my hand as far as I could, since no one grabbed it, I decided to move on. I have stuck with this server until the end.

We had a small group of people playing. I have talked with so many in the game that did not like the changes, they all wanted to move to other servers after the overhaul. They wanted the old system not to mentioned that these changes erased rankings before the reset, then more changes, more bugs, and more resets. The players just got tired of it. Then weeks went by with the server locked down and no one working on it.

As to whom is to blame, the man in charge of making the changes, dub. This was a big mistake from the start.

Well, to his credit, the server took a major blow BEFORE Manslayer came into power. We were divided, we had people from GFL "double agenting" us and spiriting our members away to other servers. Most of our admin team had real life situations come up, almost all of which have been offline for several days now. I don't think the blame should be put solely on MrManslayer, but all of us as a community as well. 

It's sad to see it go, but CS:S as a whole is starting to dwindle in numbers. I've been sleuthing around to see other servers and how they are run. 

Many of which are still populated because they've been around since the beginning, and they're simple. Whether or not we bounce back, or fall and crumple it was a good run, and I loved meeting everyone who frequented our server, and I appreciate everyone involved.  

Posted (edited)

I suggest making two graphs:

1. A graph of the population as time increases,
  2. and the other graph being "delta functions" at points where  decisions were made over time.  You can normalize (scale) these delta functions to a perceived and estimated weight of their impact, but I think going above and beyond there would be unnecessary for its purposes. (edit: This graph is redundant as you can just label the top graph with points, but I personally like having two separate ones to do a little mathematical trickery with it for more information).

This is just an example.

NfztmDw.png

I do have an additional suggestion: Fulfill your promise.  When you rose to Division Leader, the sales pitch from Thomas and the support earned on that promotion was based on the potential expansion of the CS:S Division.  CS:S may be on the fall, but the exampled graphs above "could" reveal that there are dominating influences on the population (I'm not saying that it will); with such a wealth of resources around (coughs aggressively the name of AlliedModders) and a willing population despite its small size... the division could still be a gold mine.  All I have seen since since my forced departure is front loading announcements about "CS:S is dying", the closure of servers, a smaller and less active team, and a grim future for the division overall.

I do not think it's right to let Manslayer take the blame alone should any of it be his fault- blame should be taken as I am certain any of the leadership here would have no problem boasting its success and claiming their greatness should that have been the case.  You guys need to remember that GFL has a team of Staff including community advisors and a directorate team; furthermore: There are two concentrated division leaders for CS:S.  You can't blame the quarterback going for the goal and failing if the rest of the team is sitting on the grass.  He may have failed and fallen, but he was staged for failure although the many bad decisions (all subjective here) didn't help.  The Server Admin team, Operators, and the loyal players...  in my eyes... they did their part as they did reached out to me in private for my insight where I kindly hesitated and forward these messages to Staff members; I also saw some shifting within the team and openness on the forums, and I know it can be difficult to see if one wasn't carefully watching and the fact that some posts were removed from the public eye.

Aside from extracting from the results: Learn from your mistakes.  It baffles me how often GFL leadership repeats themselves.  Again: I'm not meaning to limit yourself to only specific mistakes, but conceptually as well; you can also learn from other people's mistakes instead of having to make and learn from them on your own.  I think I used this analogy before, but I'll repeat it again...  if you touch a hot pan and burn your hands, then you should know better not to touch a hot pot and burn your hands again.  Just because a pot and a pan aren't the same thing doesn't mean you learned a "new" lesson.

Edited by Joshy
2 people like this