Flops

What drives you to keep on playing ze?

I've been kind of curious as to how players have been playing this gamemode for such a long time when I feel like there really is no sense of true progression nor achievement (I've been playing since mid-late 2015, old to some and barely anything to others). Because of this, I wanted to ask you guys, old and new players alike why do you play ze, and what do you like about it? As of now this gamemode is kind of getting stale for me, playing the same maps over and over again along with the absolute lack of any sort of progression really just drives me away and pushes me towards other things where practice and skill allow you to progress in said game and where skill can actually be measured. To answer my own question, I still play ze because of the wacky community that is GFL with its cancer, randoms, neckbeards, and other goofballs.

To elaborate on what I mean when I say lack of progression, I simply mean that there is an extremely low skill floor and extremely low ceiling, meaning that it takes little to no effort to be "good" at a map or area of ze gameplay (such as bhopping) and that once the small amount of effort is put in, there is almost no way to be better. A player playing for years is virtually indistinguishable from a player who played the same map two times, can bhop, and can press a little button called e on their keyboard. While I do understand that lasers are a large part of the so called "skill" of ze,  ability to survive lasers is dependent on a huge number of factors such as ping, focus, internet, and simply better computers. Furthermore, I feel like they degrade what ze really is - being a team based gamemode where you win as a team or die as a team. Instead, lasers make it so that if you have good ping and aren't a bozo you live while more than 3/4ths of the team just dies horribly possibly for reasons beyond their control (ping, rubberbanding, all sorts of stuff). Perhaps it is me that is viewing this entire gamemode wrong - maybe it isn't something to tryhard or put effort into at all.

TL;DR - Ze is getting stale to me due to a low skill floor and low skill ceiling, wanted to ask you people what drives you to play ze and whether what i'm feeling happens/ed to you guys too.

Posted  Edited by MrManslayerX

I don't play on the ZE server personally, but I'd have to imagine it boils down to the people that play there, the community, and the interactions between the players.
Whether this be considered "Toxic", "Autistic" ( I really do hate that term, it's offensive to actual autists... But, since people use it, it has a place in describing the case. ), or whatever the case may be, I know the main reason -I- tend to stick around on servers is because of the conversations or interactions with other players, or the whole community at large.
SINCE it's a low skill ceiling and floor, as you say, it makes it an effortless kinda gamemode to play while you mess around and have fun chilling with people.
Kinda like how I'll hop on Warframe and mess around because it's such a mindless game after you build the muscle memory for it.

Edited by MrManslayerX

Posted  Edited by mjong99

Which is why now days I only come on to the server when the maps are Random, Jurassic, and Santa, and maybe some other maps too.  ZE is getting way too repetitive. Last year when GFL decided to wipe out every player's stats including their playtime on the server, I loss the sense of progression and had no more desire to play as much as I used to. I have to agree with your point on lasers. Lasers used to be a cool and unique mechanic limited to only 1 or 2 maps, but now they're everywhere and defeats the purpose of the ZE gamemode, which is to work together as a team and beat the map.

Edit: Because playing both Random and Jurassic has a high chance of something hilarious happening, and old platformer (b2) version too.

Edited by mjong99

I enjoy it because of how there (a least in my opinion) is no skill cap. Although after playing 100+ hours on the server you have probably played most maps (some definitely more than others) , i feel you can never really "beat" zombie escape. This is because there are always new maps coming out and new strategies in every map. I also enjoy trying to do lasers with 200+ ping as it adds another challenge (but i'm probably alone in enjoying that). 

It takes very little to be "good" but it takes a lot to be one of the best tbh (come at me salt bitches I'm waiting and need my :pjsalt:) Also I responded on nied post and I'll tl:dr it here.

Lasers if you are into them.

Fuck around if you are or aren't into option 1.

That's all that keeps me playing ze,.... if I didn't have a mic I'd probably be playing something else->ow or wow since I know some people who play them.

I agree with Altek on this.  The premise of zombie escape is so simple yet if you want to master the gamemode you need to put a lot of time into it. I've been playing on this server on and off for over 2 years now and I still have not beaten every map so I wouldn't say the low skill ceiling turns off players. Even if I were to beat every single map ze has to offer, there is always helping newer players play the game because ze will always be a team based game at the end of the day.

Also for those who are bored of the same maps, learn a new map. I would suggest learning ze_LOTR_Minas_Tirith. People keep complaining about "Laser Fags" ruining the games, but I bet most of them could barely play this map. There are no bosses, no lasers, just pure defending. The items are really fun to use, especially if you learn how to use the gandalf and white knight items. For those who are bored of "just pressing the E key at the right time", try using those items. I personally have much to learn from that map and it kinda sucks to see the gfl population not take the map seriously and end up getting too tired to play it.

Next time anyone complains about playing the same maps and wants more from this gamemode, look at some other fun maps.

5 hours ago, Yudi said:

"low skill floor and low skill ceiling" , isn't that obvious, you're playing CS:GO 4Head. 

uhhh csgo as a game has one of the highest skill ceilings, learning to control recoil and be good takes insane amounts of practice and dedication

Posted  Edited by Flops - Edit Reason: added item usage (press e LUL)
2 hours ago, Altek said:

It takes very little to be "good" but it takes a lot to be one of the best tbh (come at me salt bitches I'm waiting and need my :pjsalt:) Also I responded on nied post and I'll tl:dr it here.

Lasers if you are into them.

Fuck around if you are or aren't into option 1.

That's all that keeps me playing ze,.... if I didn't have a mic I'd probably be playing something else->ow or wow since I know some people who play them.

the thing is there is nothing to show you are the best... What makes you the best? simply beating a map doesnt make you the best, or even good at all. Bhopping is not an indicator too, and laser survivability as mentioned above is based on many more factors than just skill. Item usage is also you just pressing e, which is extremely mindless.

Edited by Flops
added item usage (press e LUL)

Posted  Edited by Yudi
8 minutes ago, Flops said:

uhhh csgo as a game has one of the highest skill ceilings, learning to control recoil and be good takes insane amounts of practice and dedication

I'm not talking about competitive , aiming and stuff, i'm just talking about how skill has decreased in terms of movement,kz,bhop,strafing in comparison to CS:S CS 1.6 and others, which is why i prefer CS:S over CS:GO, you also used to receive penalties if you fucked up unlike in CS go (when you jump for example), and movement is a big factor when it comes to zombie escape.

Edited by Yudi

11 hours ago, Unorth said:

I have seen people victimized in circumstances such as people being finger pointed for "skipping lasers" or other petty shit that may seem like a joke at first, but a lot of you tend to forget that people log into a video game to escape from reality. They come to chill out after a hard days work or to have fun playing a game they enjoy. Hearing one person belittling another for no other reason other than "for a laugh" or that the person "deserves" it is not and should not be tolerated by either the direct GFL community or the wider ZE community. Sure a joke can run for a couple of days and usually it can be funny for a week at best, but if you lads seriously think 6 months of telling someone they are shit is "funny" then I am sorry but you are part of the reason why ZE has not taken off in a bigger way given the global reach counter strike has in terms of player population. 

Thanks for mentioning this, really appreciate it :)

FOUR!

af02fa7937e52e213e7ae229a9245274.png.36b1e74241a2a2d661636a590b0bc367.png

Achievements

16 hours ago, Unorth said:

Hit the nail on the head. In regards to player mentality, you are completely correct. I feel like this mentality is a mix of immaturity and egoism. Also, I feel like map pool is completely important here. And both really do feed into each other. It feels like the newer maps are drifting away from the team based zombie escape of old and turning more into how many fucking lasers you can stuff into a map. Now of course there are exceptions, but that feels like the norm right now. Maybe the desire for a higher skill ceiling led to this. Maybe the influx of these maps led to a worsening of this mentality. It's probably a little bit of both.

A side note on immaturity. I'm certainly guilty of being a dick when I should be leading or helping lead. Hell honestly I've been probably the one of the most guilty when it comes to starting beef, starting shouting matches, and igniting general autism and cancer. Autism and cancer can be fine when it's spread out, non fixated, and sporadic, but when someone comes on and becomes a focal point for that, it becomes ugly and can turn into bullying. Remember Eugene Simmons? "I eat the wings, not the sauce." He was kind of a bitch and in turn received a lot of ribbing, including from me. I'm pretty sure he handled it kinda fine, maybe he bottled it in IDK. Maybe he deserved it, maybe he didn't, but we only think about ourselves. Imagine in his boots. That one seemingly harmless comment you make becomes 100 made to him. He was a focal point for that shit. And cancer begets more cancer. I wasn't there when angry soccer mom came in, but if I recall the ass chewing was so bad he never came back on the server again. For every eugene there's dozens of the nameless first timers who've been scared away from the server, either from the atmosphere, or from getting insulted. And that isn't healthy for the long term survival of GFL ZE, and consequently ZE in the west. IDK what's happening in possession and if that's the case over there, if anyone knows feel free to chat in. As a whole, I'm not sure how GFL can retain its individuality and trademark without scaring away everyone. And on the flipside, I'm not sure how GFL can change without selling out or wiping away everything that made it unique. It's a tough situation. I'm not asking for GFL ZE to be a safe space here, just a tweak in mentality to be a bit more welcoming to newbies. 

To be more specific on the maps and how I dealt with them; I felt like when I wasn't focused on igniting cancer, I want to say I tried my best to help, whether it's helping lead or in some cases leading. Specifically, in maps like Frostdrake, Santassassination, Predator (see a trend here?), and recently in rizomata where the goal is to get as many people to the end as possible. Of course the main exception to that is pirates, where a slightly difficult boss mixed with unfair health sliders and easy trim mechanics led to the winning move in this game theory resulting in widespread trim. I was a huge dick in pirates. Holding heal, letting trims happen, lvl 3 wall blocking killing 20. In the newer maps with either really hard bosses, bosses with broken health scaling, or lasers at the end, or lasers at the middle, or lasers at the beginning, or lasers all over the fucking place, this trend has been magnified. Maybe not so the trimming, but with elitism associated with trimming. Now there are other, usually old maps like island escape, jurassicpark, lostworld, and icecap where you have fun trolling other people, but those maps don't really count as much since they're old as fuck and extremely easy to complete, even for new players. However, it still contributes to a miasma in mentality that some people carry over to try-hard maps. 

Now, to answer the OP's question. Nothing really drives me to play ZE anymore. That's why I don't play as much, if at all. 

Posted  Edited by Vauff
18 hours ago, Unorth said:

I have seen people victimized in circumstances such as people being finger pointed for "skipping lasers" or other petty shit that may seem like a joke at first, but a lot of you tend to forget that people log into a video game to escape from reality. They come to chill out after a hard days work or to have fun playing a game they enjoy. Hearing one person belittling another for no other reason other than "for a laugh" or that the person "deserves" it is not and should not be tolerated by either the direct GFL community or the wider ZE community. Sure a joke can run for a couple of days and usually it can be funny for a week at best, but if you lads seriously think 6 months of telling someone they are shit is "funny" then I am sorry but you are part of the reason why ZE has not taken off in a bigger way given the global reach counter strike has in terms of player population.

giphy.gif

Edited by Vauff

10 hours ago, 850whodie said:

IDK what's happening in possession and if that's the case over there, if anyone knows feel free to chat in

We don't even mic spam there, it's a tradition ( save for the few soundboard/mic spam by the server manager himself). Either a leader get in and lead, or we just play chill maps. It's very relaxing there, and once we enter tryhard mode, we are serious till the end. OFC there will be "oh the trim" and "WTF" moments, but those often don't carry over the next day