Infectious

Overclocking help!

Hey guys!

I just got a new (used) computer and have some trouble/want help with overclocking my system!

First I would like to overclock the CPU but literally have no idea what to do (All I know you go to advanced options in my BIOS)

and second I would like some tips on getting the most out of my GPU without frying it! I can't seem to get above what I currently have without it being stable!

Below are my specs:

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth z77
CPU: I5 3570K (stock right now)
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Memory: G skill Sniper 16 GBs
Video Card: EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SC (+60Mhz core,  +200Mhz mem)
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
Power Supply: OCZ modxstream pro 700w
Hard Drives: Samsung Ultra II SSD 960GB and WD 2 TB

Heaven Benchmark on Extreme is around 1970!! Temp of my GPU get to 65C

Thanks!

infecti0us

***OVERCLOCKING YOUR HARDWARE CAN LEAD TO SEVERE HARDWARE LOSS, ALSO IT CAN DETERIORATE YOUR HARDWARE'S LIFE I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FUCK UP'S YOU DO. OVERCLOCK AT YOUR OWN RISK!***

Before you want to try to overclock there are a few basic principles to understand. Those are heat, clock speed + voltage, and error. These are really the limits of overclocking (Not counting unclockable hardware)

I will help you achieve maximum performance while keeping your system at a stable temperature to avoid thermal throttling, and the risk of damaging your hardware.

Since the computer is used I recommend you reapply some premium thermal paste. Why? Well the used computer could of been used for a while with the same paste over and over again. I recommend changing your thermal paste every 8-12 months.

Lets get started!

1. To ensure a successful overclock, we'll need to know that the CPU is stable at both idle and max load. I would like you to download Prime95, and keep using HVB (Hidden Valley Benchmark) Prime95 helps stress the CPU, and HVB helps stress the GPU. You will want to also download Open Hardware Monitor to accurately measure your temps.

2. Once you install the programs you should run them. Once you do open OHM (Open Hardware Monitor) to begin monitoring temps. Always look at the lowest core temp to give yourself a good understanding of how hot your CPU is running.

3. Run stress tests for your CPU first. Start Prime95, select "Just stress testing," and then you'll be given a list of options as to which stress tests you'd like to perform.

Choose "Blend Test," and press "OK".

Once finished look at your max temp on the CPU. It shouldn't be over 90 degrees Celsius. Of course you can go over but the TJ Max for your i5 3570K is 105 degrees Celsius. Once it hits that you will start to thermal throttle for the CPU to cool itself down.

If you are under 90 degrees celsius on your CPU you are capable of overclocking with out having a constant thermal throttle.

4. Wait around 5-10 minutes for your CPU cooler to fully cool your CPU again before continuing. After that proceed to your BIOS. I see you are using a ASUS Sabertooth z77 motherboard. Please be sure that it updated to BIOS 2104. I am using a different motherboard then you So, the UEFI could be a little different in comparison to some of the other manufacturers you'll find out there, but the base settings will essentially be the same.

** Restart/start your computer, Enter the bios, usually by repeatedly pressing Delete. Overclock in your bios. Do not use a windows based overclocker as the results do not tend to be as good.*** 

1 Set overclock tuner, sometimes called differently, to manual. 

2 Set max turbo ratio to 45. Enter your ram section. Enter the timings (your ram timings for the ram you bought. ie, 7 7 7 24 or 9 9 9 28 etc) . Leave the rest of the 'sub timings' on 'auto' Leave the RAM speed at AUTO unless it is miss reading (ie you have 1600 reading as 1333). In that case enter the correct number (ie 1600)

3 Go to the voltage section. Set CPU and RAM to manual. Leave the rest of the voltages AUTO. The RAM should be set to the 'sticker voltage', ie, 1.5v. The CPU, set to 1.35V (for sandybridge 2XXX cpus), and about 1.25V (for Ivybridge 3XXX cpus)

4 Find Load Line Calibration, or LLC. Set it to 50%. If it is in levels, 5/10 or 3/5. 

5 Go to CPU features turn off C5 C1 and EIST / Speedstep . Some CPUs/boards will still hold this OC with speedstep left on. I suggest you turn it off for now. Also turn off any power saving features. You may also disable virtualization if you will never use it. Note that, SOME CPUS may require CPU PLL overvoltage to be turned on to hit 4.5Ghz. It is unlikely. 

6 (optional) Go to onboard devices and shut off anything you arent using (USB3/Firewire controllers, extra LAN controllers, Extra SATA controllers) 

Please note:
*Less than 5% of CPUs according to a published test by Asus will need more than 1.35V or refuse 4.5Ghz altogether. 80% need LESS than 1.35. 

THAT'S IT! 
Save changes. Exit, restart and enter windows and now run stability tests to make sure it went ok.

It basically goes the same for the GPU. Just increase at small amounts. Once you increase run a test. Just be sure that you use either EVGA Precision X or MSI After Burner.  

42 minutes ago, VinZie said:

***OVERCLOCKING YOUR HARDWARE CAN LEAD TO SEVERE HARDWARE LOSS, ALSO IT CAN DETERIORATE YOUR HARDWARE'S LIFE I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FUCK UP'S YOU DO. OVERCLOCK AT YOUR OWN RISK!***

Before you want to try to overclock there are a few basic principles to understand. Those are heat, clock speed + voltage, and error. These are really the limits of overclocking (Not counting unclockable hardware)

I will help you achieve maximum performance while keeping your system at a stable temperature to avoid thermal throttling, and the risk of damaging your hardware.

Since the computer is used I recommend you reapply some premium thermal paste. Why? Well the used computer could of been used for a while with the same paste over and over again. I recommend changing your thermal paste every 8-12 months.

Lets get started!

1. To ensure a successful overclock, we'll need to know that the CPU is stable at both idle and max load. I would like you to download Prime95, and keep using HVB (Hidden Valley Benchmark) Prime95 helps stress the CPU, and HVB helps stress the GPU. You will want to also download Open Hardware Monitor to accurately measure your temps.

2. Once you install the programs you should run them. Once you do open OHM (Open Hardware Monitor) to begin monitoring temps. Always look at the lowest core temp to give yourself a good understanding of how hot your CPU is running.

3. Run stress tests for your CPU first. Start Prime95, select "Just stress testing," and then you'll be given a list of options as to which stress tests you'd like to perform.

Choose "Blend Test," and press "OK".

Once finished look at your max temp on the CPU. It shouldn't be over 90 degrees Celsius. Of course you can go over but the TJ Max for your i5 3570K is 105 degrees Celsius. Once it hits that you will start to thermal throttle for the CPU to cool itself down.

If you are under 90 degrees celsius on your CPU you are capable of overclocking with out having a constant thermal throttle.

THAT'S IT! 
Save changes. Exit, restart and enter windows and now run stability tests to make sure it went ok.

It basically goes the same for the GPU. Just increase at small amounts. Once you increase run a test. Just be sure that you use either EVGA Precision X or MSI After Burner.  

Instructions unclear!!

PC turned into hot toaster

got dick stuck in it

VIOLATORSAIDSO.png

thanks @Violator

2 hours ago, Infectious said:

D:

I wasn't making fun or anything I was being serious and trying to help you.

Unless you don't do some serious simulations or rendering (which I'm gonna assume you don't right now) you do more harm than good.

It only stresses the CPU through extensive higher voltage and temperature, shortening the life of it for that tiny amount of extra processing power.

Overclocking is a stupid meme.

I feel like you should turn to youtube for this. There are lots of great youtubers who show you step by step how to overclock. In my opinion you should definitely overclock. What is the point of having an nh d15 and not using it to its full potential. 

Also on a side note can you tell me the price you got it for used. 

Achievements