nick027nd

Please add the ability to delete posts

I've mulled over this matter here and there in the past year since it does seem inherently strange for a form of social media to prevent individuals from removing their own content. I used to disagree with your proposal, but I've found myself more agreeable to it nowadays. Even if there are still doubts over it, it shouldn't hurt to implement it since no real damage or abuse can come out of this.

Now, I'd love to consider making this change for you, mi amor, but I'm afraid my magic wand ran out of power a couple of months ago.

Good luck on this.

Pt5iuHl.png

I won't take a photo—I'll tell it through words.

Achievements

Posted  Edited by rapperdan

so we don't want to delete posts right that is the biggest issue and always has been but how hard is it to simply direct a post into a higher ups trash bin like there already is?

we always have hid posts and never delete them even the moderators do this when a post is asked to be deleted but why not give the users the ability to simply click a button and direct the post into where it would go anyways?

in cases like otters that we ran into in the past simple fix don't allow pinned or locked posts to be directed into the trash bin.

tfw a long ass time ago the dan man was the only one who some what agreed with you on this #DanIsTheRightManInTheClan

Edited by rapperdan

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Based_Matt
5 minutes ago, rapperdan said:

so we don't want to delete posts right that is the biggest issue and always has been but how hard is it to simply direct a post into a higher ups trash bin like there already is?

we always have hid posts and never delete them even the moderators do this when a post is asked to be deleted but why not give the users the ability to simply click a button and direct the post into where it would go anyways?

in cases like otters that we ran into in the past simple fix don't allow pinned or locked posts to be directed into the trash bin.

tfw a long ass time ago the dan man was the only one who some what agreed with you on this #DanIsTheRightManInTheClan

im confused, whos side are you on.

Edited by Based_Matt

3 minutes ago, Based_Matt said:

im confused, whos side are you on.

i'm saying you are right also fyi we have never deleted anything rather hid things which I think is causing this big hombo jombo bs and people see delete and we are like reeeeeeeee no delete we can't agree when it's a simple matter of just directing to the higher ups trash bin that no normal user or even admin can even see.

Edited by rapperdan

Achievements

Posted  Edited by nick027nd
10 minutes ago, rapperdan said:

I partially get what you're saying, but don't fully agree.

Honestly, I think it's just easier to allow users the ability to remove a post. If there's something that someone doesn't want on the forums, why have it collect in a trash bin?

Edited by nick027nd

76561198028549341.pngAddFriend.png

Something interesting is supposed to go here.

1 minute ago, nick027nd said:

I partially get what you're saying, but don't fully agree.

Honestly, I think its just easier to allow users the ability to just remove a post. If there's something that someone doesn't want on the forums, why have it collect in a trash bin?

tbh we need to start some where and well in my eyes this would be the first step.

what I've noticed over time is gfl is slow af with things and things and ideas concepts always need to be in stepping stones.

Edited by rapperdan

Achievements

4 minutes ago, nick027nd said:

Honestly, I think it's just easier to allow users the ability to remove a post. If there's something that someone doesn't want on the forums, why have it collect in a trash bin?

Source material in case we need dirt on someone. I personally made extensive use of that, and was essentially the main reason why I initially disagreed with your proposal. I just happened to change my mind recently since it would appear that the pros of the notion outweigh the cons.

Pt5iuHl.png

Achievements

3 minutes ago, Shuruia said:

Source material in case we need dirt on someone. I personally made extensive use of that, and was essentially the main reason why I initially disagreed with your proposal. I just happened to change my mind recently since it would appear that the pros of the notion outweigh the cons.

That makes sense, but then the trash bin would be severely cluttered with small things like with what I was trying to fix.

Scenario: What if someone posts a picture that someone doesn't want on the forums, if it gets deleted and goes to the trash bin, it is still on the forums for all the higher ups to see.

Either way, if we get the ability to delete, I'm fine.

Edited by nick027nd

Just now, nick027nd said:

That makes sense, but then the trash bin would be severely cluttered with small things like with what I was trying to fix.

Aye, that was (and remains) a problem. The alternative solution that I was going to implement before I was demoted was to write new guidelines for the CAs on which posts should simply be deleted, and which posts should be hidden/trash binned. It seemed as though CAs felt obliged to hide posts no matter what since deleting posts is taboo. That was just the culture that came to be accepted, so writing a hard rule on what to delete and what to hide seemed fair.

Really though, it's just a lot more efficient to let people delete their own posts.

Pt5iuHl.png

Achievements

Posted  Edited by pR1zm

As one of the most important people to ever grace this forum I can't agree more with my good friend nick "027" nd. Plenty of times I have thought to have designed a masterpiece of a post, only to shortly find out it is filled with errors. If I had the ability to delete my post it would have saved much heartache.

Speaking of deleting things I also feel it was wrong to delete "The Hobo Raceway." It was well within the rules of the server and a good community member was banned for stabbing the abusive admin.

On another note is it even possible to be "15 and gay?"

Edited by pR1zm

2 minutes ago, pR1zm said:

As one of the most important people to ever grace this forum I can't agree with my good friend nick "027" nd. Plenty of times I have thought to have designed a masterpiece of a post, only to shortly find out it is filled with errors. If I had the ability to delete my post it would have saved much heartache.

Speaking of deleting things I also feel it was wrong to delete "The Hobo Raceway." It was well within the rules of the server and a good community member was banned for stabbing the abusive admin.

That stab was amazing.

Edited by rapperdan

Achievements

3 minutes ago, pR1zm said:

As one of the most important people to ever grace this forum I can't agree more with my good friend nick "027" nd. Plenty of times I have thought to have designed a masterpiece of a post, only to shortly find out it is filled with errors. If I had the ability to delete my post it would have saved much heartache.

Thank you, friend.

I agree 100%, the deletion of Hobo Raceway is something that none of us will forget, and as a former manager of that server, I can confirm it was well indeed within the rules.

Edited by nick027nd

If staff wants to do more unnecessary work then they need to, then they can feel free to. Not like they'll listen to user complaints anyway...

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $943 ($530 with sales)
  • Games owned: 174
  • Games played: 112 (64%)
  • Hours on record: 5,797.5h

I don't think it's a good idea for users being allowed to delete own posts, maybe hide them (I'm sure this was also done on our old forum?)

deleting posts makes it harder for higher ups and stuff to view logs if the user did anything wrong, making our proof hard/pointless. I would agree with away for people to hide it but that's about it

I'm the cs:s Division Leader

feel free to ask for help

I recall the frustrations of looking into deleted posts.  I don't agree with deleting, but I like the idea of hiding or moving it to an archive forum hidden from the greater community.  I think clutter is an acceptable and manageable trade-off, and it's worth offering forum members tools available at other communities and social media sites in order to be competitive.  It baffles me that the staff look so much into hardware and programming, and it's great to maintain and improve the back-end, but show something for it if you can.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

4 hours ago, Thomasdavid097 said:

I don't think it's a good idea for users being allowed to delete own posts, maybe hide them

Yes, this could work just as well. To our average forum user, hiding posts is essentially the same as deleting them anyway.

Pt5iuHl.png

Achievements