Ben

Colour or color?

Posted  Edited by Benroy - Edit Reason: Mistakes

Which word is correct? Colour? Color? 

Edited by Benroy
Mistakes

76561198043643390.png

Posted  Edited by Worgee

There is no correct thing for this... As I said in discord b4 this started, then color is the american word and colour is the british. It's all in the pronounciation of the word...

behavior vs behaviour?

Edited by Worgee

Nerd

Achievements

6 minutes ago, Worgee said:

There is no correct thing for this... As I said in discord b4 this started, then color is the american word and colour is the british. It's all in the pronounciation of the word...

behavior vs behaviour?

^This pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Colour is the correct English pronunciation, and color is the American bastardiz--  ...pronunciation.

Mostly just opinion, really.

GIF.gif

37c6a160ff76e7ef7db4db7df0d50dc3.png

9d668bb6162aaa048432fe2935d30458.png

129ef22cb8471b6c808a1ce582f493aa.png

7f018283383ed2d1d0bd4cafeb1e87ac.png

bce96f456cff8113e7d9e5c2c6f65fff.png

v1.png

Posted  Edited by Joshy - Edit Reason: Added search link and picture

You may have noticed I typically use the counterparts more associated with the British.  You can see for yourself: Search.

EwZi33R.png

This isn't because of my extended stay in Europe, but because I grew up playing RuneScape and participating in their communities.  There was a period of about eight or nine years where I invested many hours of my day into that game although you'll rarely see me online now, and even more scarce to see me on for longer than an hour.

I do deliberately and make a conscious effort to use the American version for very few individuals.

Edited by Joshy
Added search link and picture

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Posted  Edited by Dano

"Color" is the American English way of spelling it, "colour" the Commonwealth one. It's not just British, though.

Both are correct, but I'd advise you to use the same spelling for "color/colour" as you use for your other words. Inconsistency looks bad (e.g. "My favourite color is blue").

Edited by Dano

Snow Owl.jpg

Achievements

12 minutes ago, Joshy said:

You may have noticed I typically use the counterparts more associated with the British.  You can see for yourself: Search.

Hide contents

EwZi33R.png

This isn't because of my extended stay in Europe, but because I grew up playing RuneScape and participating in their communities.  There was a period of about eight or nine years where I invested many hours of my day into that game although you'll rarely see me online now, and even more scarce to see me on for longer than an hour.

I do deliberately and make a conscious effort to use the American version for very few individuals.

When I had english classes in this one school, where all the teachers were british/american, they all found it overwhelmingly surprising how much vocabulary I knew for my age thanks to runescape :)

yeah.gif

Posted  Edited by Jat02 - Edit Reason: I don't know how to spell.

IT PISSES ME OFF SO MUCH WHEN SOMEONE FROM AMERICA SAYS COLOUR! I'M AMERICAN AND IT IS SPELLED COLOR!

color

Edited by Jat02
I don't know how to spell.

w8AIJq0.png.557da6d2ae4ce9c69c1c9e3caee5ce0d.png
Made By @Lynx

jat.jpeg.cf67632929160b2d4e0df99335e7fba6.thumb.jpeg.a268ca114a3acfa34d666597b4d1a461.jpegMade By @Charmayy

jats.jpg.83ddf264efcb7e331c28d70f002fd3f5.jpg

Made By @Gary

c349e18f2f68dbbab87526fa779bfbb2.png?width=1080&height=345

Made By @Xy

-Jat

32 minutes ago, Joshy said:

Reveal hidden contents

EwZi33R.png

RuneScape is the main reason why I type so quickly. That and Minecraft.

24 minutes ago, Dano said:

"Color" is the American English way of spelling it, "colour" the Commonwealth one. It's not just British, though.

Both are correct, but I'd advise you to use the same spelling for "color/colour" as you use for your other words. Inconsistency looks bad (e.g. "My favourite color is blue").

That's not bad. 

I started this thread to jump and move on from a topic on Discord that was being discussed earlier today. I'm still curious to see which one is correct (even though both are right, I'm curious to see someone to make up an excuse for color or colour being best). 

76561198043643390.png

20 minutes ago, Jat02 said:

IT PISSES ME OFF SO MUCH WHEN SOMEONE FROM AMERICA SAYS COULOR!

It's a good job no one from America, or in fact anywhere, spells it like coUlor. 

11f4263ab6c30a3489f8db3145340861.png

So everyone is listing their former stuff so I'll just be cool and list mine :3

Former @HackingPotato's White Knight and Boss Former Director Former TF2 Division Leader Former Community Advisor Former TF2 Technical Administrator Former TF2 Server Manager Former TF2 Trial Manager Former TF2 Admin Former TF2 Revivalist Former TF2 Player Former TF2 God Former Media Leaderish Former somewhat Media team person Former VIP Former Supporter Former Member Former TF2 Player Former Player

3 minutes ago, Snoopy said:

It's a good job no one from America, or in fact anywhere, spells it like coUlor. 

Oops lol. I hate it so much when someone says colour that i forgot people spell it colour and not coulor.

w8AIJq0.png.557da6d2ae4ce9c69c1c9e3caee5ce0d.png
Made By @Lynx

jat.jpeg.cf67632929160b2d4e0df99335e7fba6.thumb.jpeg.a268ca114a3acfa34d666597b4d1a461.jpegMade By @Charmayy

jats.jpg.83ddf264efcb7e331c28d70f002fd3f5.jpg

Made By @Gary

c349e18f2f68dbbab87526fa779bfbb2.png?width=1080&height=345

Made By @Xy

-Jat

2 minutes ago, Jat02 said:

Oops lol. I hate it so much when someone says colour that i forgot people spell it colour and not coulor.

Well I'm English and I spell it colour.

Colour

Colour

Colour

Colour

Colour

Colour

Colour

11f4263ab6c30a3489f8db3145340861.png

So everyone is listing their former stuff so I'll just be cool and list mine :3

Former @HackingPotato's White Knight and Boss Former Director Former TF2 Division Leader Former Community Advisor Former TF2 Technical Administrator Former TF2 Server Manager Former TF2 Trial Manager Former TF2 Admin Former TF2 Revivalist Former TF2 Player Former TF2 God Former Media Leaderish Former somewhat Media team person Former VIP Former Supporter Former Member Former TF2 Player Former Player

8 minutes ago, Snoopy said:

Before the English version of "colour" had gained its prevalence, we considered spelling it in a few different ways, such as "colur", "culoure" and coolor. This was close to the 17th century which is when the English version took hold.

So if you wanted to define the correct version as the one which was predominantly used first then it would be "colour".

The American version was worked on by a guy called Noah Webster in the middle 19th century. This was at whilst America was establishing itself and trying to break away from the English language (they almost decided to make German the official language of America as roughly 10% of the country spoke German). 

Noah is responsible for many changes in the American version of English such as the pronunciation of "z" as "zee" instead of "zed".

American- Simplified English for the simple minded.

Achievements