Ben

How much do you tip?

When it comes to a restaurant?

Most of the time, every place I go, my bill is usually around $7 to $12 -- which comes to a problem. I usually tip around 40 to 60%, which people tell me that it's too much.

Generally, when it comes to a rule, "If you can't afford to tip, then you shouldn't go to restaurant" and some other heavy debates on tipping, which some have encouraged me to tip more than 20% because it's too small.

When I put 20%, I end up checking about $1.50 - $3.00. Which I believe is too small. 

Feel free to change my view on tipping.

So the general question of the topic: How much do you tip?

76561198043643390.png

I can't math so I always ask my brother or I use an automatic calculator. If the service is horrible, like not busy horrible more like lazy or disrespect, I tip $1-3. If it's good service whether busy or not, I tip $6-10. If it's good service but food was not placed correctly after repeat order, I tip $3-6.

But personally, tipping is only good to do if you think the person deserves it for their services. But most of the time I don't tip because I always end up in bad situations.

pfs.gif.0454852536d8143a5e368e9f7a24a8a4.gif

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Charmy

I tip 25% unless i know the server or theyre that good.

I usually will increase it to 30-40% if said thing occurs.

If they suck i will barely tip lol

Edited by Charmy

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $943 ($530 with sales)
  • Games owned: 174
  • Games played: 112 (64%)
  • Hours on record: 5,797.5h

If I remember correctly, I believe the general rule of thumb for tipping is 10%.

Now, to be fair I'm actually with Ben and Charmy on this one. I usually tip around 25% - 35%, more if they are really good. And yes, I have had 1 waitress who was superb, so she deserved the $25 I tipped and the $25 my dad tipped her.

Now, on the other hand, I've also had some downright awful service. In these cases, however, I try to gauge how the server is doing. Sometimes, the server is overwhelmed, and it can't be helped (i.e., holidays, big party, etc,.) so even if the service is terrible, try to at least be considerate.

Of course, there is also that one server. You know the one, doesn't pay attention, brings you the wrong drinks, then the wrong food, tries to argue with customers even though they're only serving the one table. Yeah, I usually don't go back at that point.

Ultimately, when tipping, just remember to look at the big picture. Consider these three questions when estimating a tip:

1) How friendly was our server? (Were they friendly throughout each interaction or did they ignore us for 95% of the time?)

2) How busy was the restaurant? (Ex. Were there more customers so that service seemed slow?)

3) Did our server pay attention? (Ex. Did they bring the correct drinks/food?)

These are usually things I take into consideration when tipping.

Deliveries, on the other hand, = $5 period.

GIF.gif

37c6a160ff76e7ef7db4db7df0d50dc3.png

9d668bb6162aaa048432fe2935d30458.png

129ef22cb8471b6c808a1ce582f493aa.png

7f018283383ed2d1d0bd4cafeb1e87ac.png

bce96f456cff8113e7d9e5c2c6f65fff.png

v1.png

£0. Tipping is very rare in Europe since restaurant workers have fixed salaries and such. We typically only tip if the service was provided by a wizard Jesus or something.

Pt5iuHl.png

I won't take a photo—I'll tell it through words.

Achievements

Having trained and worked as a chef in England, I've got first hand experience with this topic.

We don't tend to tip in England the majority of the time. It's also not expected of us to tip either. The only time that people tip over here is when they actually receive extraordinary service. 

I absolutely hate the idea that people are expected to tip in different cultures. Restaurants should pay all their staff fairly.

If you got to a restaurant and receive exactly what you paid for, then the restaurant charges you for that. If you go there and receive more than what you paid for, then you should tip.

When I do tip it's usually 10% or £5, whichever is higher.

The best night I ever had for tips was Valentines evening. We had a special set menu and candle lit tables everywhere. We had also planned in a surprise bottle of champagne or wine. Near enough every table tipped well. That meant after the night was over, all the staff received a bonus on top of their wages.

Achievements

I realized while living in London, that tipping... it doesn't make much sense to me.  I'm actually embarrassed at how much I use to tip.  The irony is I make way more now than I did before.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152