MangiX

New command to hide the players character

This is for zombie escape server. Like years ago I like to play zombie escape, in any server, then I stop playing it for very long time because I don't have a good pc to support me play this (many players in the server). Now I back playing ze again and I want to give a suggestion about put new command for hide the players or half of the teammates, we can enable and disable it, I'm sure this would be very useful for players with low spec pc include me. I have below 20 fps all the time with 40+ players, and low fps make it so hard even to make a simple move. Got killed by ladder more than the zombies, impossible to bhop, so hard to dodge the laser or even jumping on a small cliff gap.

There is another server that has this command, I bind it and when the laser time I always use this command and I feel it by myself to dodge it is so easy. But I prefer to play in here so I hope this can be possible to update this new command. Some people like to blame "this team is so bad", but there is a reason why they play 'so bad' like people say, one of it is a sad truth because low fps.  I'm sure also most people can play much better if they have a 'chance' to get better fps in game, this can be very useful for the team as well to finish the map because have better gameplay by teammates instead of keep try hard for hours or waste the map meanwhile many players wants to rtv.

So that's it, hope my english is understandable.

Thank You.

While a hide command can help improve FPS, the other side of the coin is that it makes things like lasers easier like you said, because the difficulty of having to find a clear sight line to see the lasers is gone. Some people see that as cheating and while I wouldn't go that far myself, it does certainly remove a level of difficulty in a way that maps didn't intend for.

I'm kinda neutral on the whole matter for these reasons, but I'd like to see what some others opinions on it might be.

I would personally like a command that makes teammates transparent when you are a human. I don't believe this would help with fps issues as mentioned above, but would make it easier to know what's going on. Any map where you hold a small platform or enclosed space before a teleport or while a door closes or something it's hard to know where you should be shooting since unless you edge you can only see your teammates in front of you.
As for the concerns that it reduces "skill", I think that there's at least as much luck as skill that goes in to standing in an area that your vision is less obscured. Plus, it could be argued that thirdperson gives similar advantages because you can see over a large group of people. Not to mention literally seeing through walls if you put the cam_collision 0 in your console, which isn't some big secret; kikofly put it in the description for the thirdperson surf event.
I think the complaint of balance is up there with the shitpost that ze mappers don't design maps for <somewhat common server/game setting> and therefore it gives unfair advantage. Rebuys, Kevlar, Reduced Gravity, Easier Bhop, Amount of KB, and Knifing through moving objects all come to mind. Unless you can get a mapper involved in the conversation that says their map's balance depended on players obscuring eachother's vision I don't know why it's such an issue.

tldr: I support the idea of a !hide command for humans, assuming it's easy to implement or plugins already exist to do this. I also strongly disagree with the criticism that Vauff brought up (no hate to him, it's the same rebuttal I hear every time and I'm glad he brought it up).

I would like to point out that not displaying friendly players at all can have bad side effects like not knowing where people are defending/when they fall back, not knowing if someone's triggering, not knowing if someone right in front of you is edging, etc, etc.
Just thought I should mention this since it's more related to the original post.

I would look at this concept in this way:

If you dont have a PC that can support CS:GO ZE, that is really a personal problem and it is sort of like saying "dont tell me what happens in the movie Jaws because I don't want you to spoil it for me..." the movie came out like 40 years ago! I am not saying every player should have the financial means to build their own 1600 watt Quad Titan SLI setup, but the game engine has been around a long time and is in no way something that cannot be tweaked to run stably on any basic gaming oriented system... (FFS, I still use my dual Geforce 650 TI Boost setup and that can handle BF4 just fine, or PUBG with a few tweaks... its like 6-7 years old and both cards cost me like 250 bucks...) 

I think part of the challenge of the game is learning the maps, and knowing where/how/when to run and jump at spots. It takes practice and some level of intelligence (memory, spacial awareness, cause and effect though processing, ect...) by limiting what you can visually see and process when all the human stack. I think it also really helps your reflexes when you only have 1/2 a second to react to something you didn't see coming (a jump or turn for example) when all the players stack in tight places.

I would also guess that hiding the models through a console command like !hide would be accomplished by simply rendering them with a transparent skin or something like that. Since the models represent players moving around the server (turning, jumping, existing at different angles, distances and in different lighting conditions), I do not think that it would stop the GPU from having to still do those calculation. You are not actually removing the other player from the server because they are still interacting with you, it would just be rendering it differently so that you see through it, but I would guess a lot of the the lighting, scaling, polygonal and all other calculations that get factor in as a player moves around will still get calculated by the GPUs to some degree, and not really help you in the FPS Department much (any mappers or people who understand the game engine want to chime in on this????) if you make them invisible. 

It's not cheating, but I think it takes away from the challenge that this game mode provides and I would probably encourage people to no use a !hide command. Also I think it would make it less fun... 

but I have no control over this, and my opinion does not really matter, and @Fetty will probably chime in and say this was a shit post and all I ever do is spam garbage on the forums so w/e.... <3 

If the server will add it. It will lose about 30% population. Because most of this number are laserfags. They dont like to use !hide command because it is destroying hardcore. In my opinion, !hide should not be added to the server because it is not fair to another players. Some people will use it and win, some wont. But tastes differ ^_^ 

6 hours ago, OLIVKA said:

If the server will add it. It will lose about 30% population. Because most of this number are laserfags. They dont like to use !hide command because it is destroying hardcore. In my opinion, !hide should not be added to the server because it is not fair to another players. Some people will use it and win, some wont. But tastes differ ^_^ 

You mean we'll end up playing lazerfag maps 30% of the time. Lazerfags have always talked big and then sell out to whatever server will get them the win.  People who get triggered over other people winning have an ego problem, and the only way to boost that ego is with that screenshot, and they'll do it at any cost! heheheh

32 minutes ago, gkuo88 said:

You mean we'll end up playing lazerfag maps 30% of the time. Lazerfags have always talked big and then sell out to whatever server will get them the win.  People who get triggered over other people winning have an ego problem, and the only way to boost that ego is with that screenshot, and they'll do it at any cost! heheheh

30%? not even close to that, it'll be 150% of we add that :hahayes:

7 hours ago, OLIVKA said:

If you look at every other tryhard server they have some form of !hide or transparency to see things better. Laserfags still play on them so the argument is invalid.

4 hours ago, WarpedCakez said:

If you look at every other tryhard server they have some form of !hide or transparency to see things better. Laserfags still play on them so the argument is invalid.

Every tryhard means asian servers where people are often using freeze and gravity nades? I will laugh so hard if it is your real argument. It is really unfair because a lot of new people wont know about it. Moreover, what is the point of tryhard clans if most of them invite only laserfags? It will be really easy to make solo/duo on every single laser map because dodge the lasers wont be block to win. Stop trieng to find easy way and try to improve yourself in hardcore things. ^-^ 

20 hours ago, OLIVKA said:

Every tryhard means asian servers where people are often using freeze and gravity nades? I will laugh so hard if it is your real argument. It is really unfair because a lot of new people wont know about it. Moreover, what is the point of tryhard clans if most of them invite only laserfags? It will be really easy to make solo/duo on every single laser map because dodge the lasers wont be block to win. Stop trieng to find easy way and try to improve yourself in hardcore things. ^-^ 

I am having trouble understanding what you mean by this. A "laserfag" is someone who enjoys playing maps with lasers and will only join for that. There are servers that have !hide and CSS by default makes players transparent when you stand by them. Yet I see laserfags on all those servers. Also I said nothing about tryhard clans and finding easy way so idk what to say on that.

On 1/13/2018 at 11:43 AM, OLIVKA said:

But !hide is optional? Laserfags can still keep it off if they want.

How is it in unfair? If you don't use it that is on you, that is like saying it is unfair to have negev/bunnyhopping

On 1/13/2018 at 4:49 AM, hotEvercLear said:

I would look at this concept in this way:

If you dont have a PC that can support CS:GO ZE, that is really a personal problem and it is sort of like saying "dont tell me what happens in the movie Jaws because I don't want you to spoil it for me..." the movie came out like 40 years ago! I am not saying every player should have the financial means to build their own 1600 watt Quad Titan SLI setup, but the game engine has been around a long time and is in no way something that cannot be tweaked to run stably on any basic gaming oriented system... (FFS, I still use my dual Geforce 650 TI Boost setup and that can handle BF4 just fine, or PUBG with a few tweaks... its like 6-7 years old and both cards cost me like 250 bucks...) 

I think part of the challenge of the game is learning the maps, and knowing where/how/when to run and jump at spots. It takes practice and some level of intelligence (memory, spacial awareness, cause and effect though processing, ect...) by limiting what you can visually see and process when all the human stack. I think it also really helps your reflexes when you only have 1/2 a second to react to something you didn't see coming (a jump or turn for example) when all the players stack in tight places.

I would also guess that hiding the models through a console command like !hide would be accomplished by simply rendering them with a transparent skin or something like that. Since the models represent players moving around the server (turning, jumping, existing at different angles, distances and in different lighting conditions), I do not think that it would stop the GPU from having to still do those calculation. You are not actually removing the other player from the server because they are still interacting with you, it would just be rendering it differently so that you see through it, but I would guess a lot of the the lighting, scaling, polygonal and all other calculations that get factor in as a player moves around will still get calculated by the GPUs to some degree, and not really help you in the FPS Department much (any mappers or people who understand the game engine want to chime in on this????) if you make them invisible. 

It's not cheating, but I think it takes away from the challenge that this game mode provides and I would probably encourage people to no use a !hide command. Also I think it would make it less fun... 

but I have no control over this, and my opinion does not really matter, and @Fetty will probably chime in and say this was a shit post and all I ever do is spam garbage on the forums so w/e.... <3 

Maybe they'd like more fps to make it smoother? The extra players drop FPS by a lot, on other servers !hide can improve my fps by 10x at parts.

That really isn't a challenge, even people who know when to jump still miss due to stacks.

> GPUs to some degree, and not really help you in the FPS Department much (any mappers or people who understand the game engine want to chime in on this????) if you make them invisible. 

Ok you have no idea what you are saying, GPU doesn't deal with that it would be the CPU, secondly !hide can block player models completely which does boost fps, before talking about things you know nothing about go try a server with !hide and see how much more fps you gain

> Also I think it would make it less fun... 

Then don't use the command? I don't see how dying to a laser because you can't see shit is a challenge

On 1/13/2018 at 11:38 PM, OLIVKA said:

RSS and PSE have neither of those? If you are mentioning Chinese serves I'd have no idea.

It isn't unfair if someone doesn't know about it, what about the people who don't know how to buy guns or stopmusic?

Never was a point to those clans, most of them care more about solos on mako then a good team win on a challenging map.

How will it make easier to solo? If anything it'd make it harder to as more people will be able to do lasers.

I don't see how guessing lasers is making myself better, if you say to go forward it simply isn't possible on some maps with certain ping.

I really dont think Ping should impact your FPS all that much, FPS is much more dependent on the load put on your CPU and GPU (you are correct, the source engine puts a lot of stress on your CPU vs other game engines). 

If you are limited by your hardware, have you tried some of the tweaks out there for the source engine to make sure you are maximising your hardware, before we start adding server side plugins that put a significant load on the server?

for example:

-threads: According to Mike Durand of Valve, the Source engine defaults to taking advantage of no more than three threads due to various issues. However a user can manually override this limitation by specifying -threads 4 (for quad core) on the command line. For anyone using an eight-core CPU, -threads 8 is also possible. Obviously if this causes any problems, remove this command.

21 hours ago, xZephire said:

While the plugin may give the clients a better performance the server will be more laggy and there is no hardware upgrade that can fix that.

There are other !hide commands with much more minimal impact

From all the times I got to the end of maps with lasers not once have i wished to have the hide plugin to see better nearly always you can look to the left or right edges to see the laser when someone is right infront of you , you can look to the side and see the laser, you can even use !tp if its that hard. 

then you arent shooting at the boss

If you really want to win it get better, go to the front and dodge it. saying that ping is limiting you going forward there are players with 300-350 ping who manage to win laser maps. Get used to the ping its just another number.

All in all stop crying and get better.

Never said it was impossible with high ping, I've won laser maps with over 400 ping but you can't go up to the front with high ping as the laser will come too fast, I don't see how "getting better" solves this, if everyone went in front then the issue would still persist, there is no extra skill in making it harder to see lasers.

16 hours ago, hotEvercLear said:

I really dont think Ping should impact your FPS all that much,

It won't affect your fps at all? Where the hell did you get that from no one mentioned ping affecting FPS?

16 hours ago, hotEvercLear said:

If you are limited by your hardware, have you tried some of the tweaks out there for the source engine to make sure you are maximising your hardware, before we start adding server side plugins that put a significant load on the server?

Do you really think people are getting low fps due to settings? The server has 30-60 players to render + particles + lasers + other stuff it really takes a tole, a lot of ZE maps are also poorly optimized.