Jinn

Connection Issues

Posted  Edited by Riggs

I am having constant connection issues when playing CSGO Ze. Almost every 2 minutes, I will have massive ping / lag spikes and or random server disconnection messages (in red text in the right top corner) This has only happened to me while playing on CSGO Ze. I am fine on every other server. Before I took my "break" from Ze, everything was perfect. No lag spikes / ping issues, no server connection issues, nothing of that sort. This has made Ze almost unplayable as this happens frequently on almost every single map we play on.  When the game does freeze up, my screen remains in the same position as mics stop working, Player models still move. (frozen but moving). When the game unfreezes, my game will play / say everything that was said during the spike and my player is in a different place then before. 

I need help as I can't find out why and I am getting absolutely no help from admins on this issue.

Edited by Riggs

jinnd1.png

9 minutes ago, MASTAH said:

What router do you have?

I do not know, but it is brand new, I had my old one replaced 2 weeks ago.

11 minutes ago, Doctor F said:

Sounds like a client side issue

Most likely

jinnd1.png

Just now, Bonk said:

That's decently client side when's the last time you restarted ur router\motem 

The day after the issues began. So about a week

jinnd1.png

The issue has now gotten worse. Every time the game unfreezes, it will just automatically refreeze. Making the game-mode unplayable

jinnd1.png

• 2 weeks later...

Are you still having this issue? Have you run a traceroute on the server ip? Since it doesn't happen on other servers, it sounds like it may be your routing path to specific server (which can change without you doing anything).

Open command prompt, then enter: tracert 216.52.148.47

(I assume that's the IP for the server you're talking about, double check)

If there are no abnormally high times for any of the hops, try entering: ping 216.52.148.47 -t

Let that run for some time and see if there are any crazy spikes.

Also I wrote a guide for trying to fix ping spikes here:  https://gflclan.com/forums/topic/25569-howto-stablize-your-connection-eliminate-ping-spikes/

If you're sure it doesn't happen on any other server, then scroll down to "Routing Path" and you can see NFO's explanation and how they will try to help you.

Posted  Edited by Riggs

High numbers directly after a spike20180228201100_1.thumb.jpg.7fbb52e156faf9fb91a709ce74c9924a.jpg

Normal play (No lag / frame drops)

20180228201138_1.thumb.jpg.5e1e2d6a51b5bcd3dae3d775202a4714.jpg

This screenshot was taken during the "drop" / lag

20180228201258_1.thumb.jpg.20a021357adee9d4f7dad11b42bcf8f1.jpg

Right after a spike / map change

20180228201415_1.thumb.jpg.2e7303195ef046d0f1d5e4be40cb6b06.jpg

Running a ping command (Normal Play / 2 minutes after a spike

20180228201502_1.thumb.jpg.77b9212923dbea1c9b29c84f66e77e76.jpg

@Decoy

Take note that my ping is always low

Edited by Riggs

jinnd1.png

Posted  Edited by Decoy

I don't play CSGO, but clearly net_graph has been changed as SV does not correspond to it's representation in CSS.  So I can't comment there, however it is not coloured, so I assume there is no issue there.

My best guess is that it has to do with your rates. You have cl_updaterate set to 16 and cl_cmdrate set to 32. The server is 64 tick so ideally both of these rates should match with a value of 64, however cl_cmdrate will be limited by your FPS, and your FPS looks to be dropping well below 64 fps. So try setting cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate to 32 (after, try both at 64).

You're also experiencing an extreme amount of packet loss from your third screenshot (52% loss). Usually this is a client side problem. Start by reducing your rate, although the server's sv_minrate may force a higher value. I would experiment with lowering your rates.

Again, if you have no issues on any other servers, this may very well be a Routing Path issue. Which you'll need to contact NFO to try to fix.

Edited by Decoy

25 minutes ago, Decoy said:

My best guess is that it has to do with your rates. You have cl_updaterate set to 16 and cl_cmdrate set to 32. The server is 64 tick so ideally both of these rates should match with a value of 64, however cl_cmdrate will be limited by your FPS, and your FPS looks to be dropping well below 64 fps. So try setting cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate to 32 (after, try both at 64).

that servers rates are as followed.

DabXe3jlQTe9jj5_2E1I0w.png

this is my autoexec.cfg https://pastebin.com/6gakjnkG take note of line 10 and 11

long story short if I could go to 128 up and 128 cmd it would be forced there but that server only allows rates of up 16 and cmd 32.

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Decoy

Why? I'm curious to know why a 64 tick server would be configured with maxcmdrate 32 and maxupdaterate 16? I've never set up a Zombie server so maybe that's why I don't get it. Either way it does seem like Riggs has an issue on his end if no one else is having issues with the server, whether it's a configuration (rate) issue, network issue, or routing path, his loss shouldn't be anywhere near 52% (it should be 0).

What has me confused is that he's not having issues on other servers, and no one else on the server is having issues. It sounds like either incorrect rates, or a routing path issue to me. A random thought that probably won't help but shouldn't hurt to try. In Steam, right click and select properties on CSGO, select the Local Files tab, then Verify Integrity of Game Files.

Possibly delete and re-download the server's custom files.

Edited by Decoy

Posted  Edited by i have had it up to here
6 minutes ago, Decoy said:

Why? I'm curious to know why a 64 tick server would be configured with maxcmdrate 32 and maxupdaterate 16? I've never set up a Zombie server so maybe that's why I don't get it. Either way it does seem like Riggs has an issue on his end if no one else is having issues with the server, whether it's a configuration (rate) issue, network issue, or routing path, his loss shouldn't be anywhere near 52% (it should be 0).

from what I have heard and seen while that server is on a 64 tick rate the server has a shit load of lag.

and well lowering the rates to that is what was done in order to help sustain a somewhat healthy server in terms of less stress on the server it's self.

also I am not sure if that server ever got it's own box or not, but the ze server might also be running with a few other servers on the same box, and getting a new box for a server such as that is a very risky move when you think about an IP change and a server that is number one on csgo atm losing that number one spot on game tracker could mean the death of that server as a whole.

and sadly we do not have much room to talk when it comes to any form of population teams.

Edited by i have had it up to here

Achievements

The server's update and cmd rate settings are low to decrease the amount of CPU the server consumes. Though, I do feel 16 is a bit low, but if it's stable and feels okay, it works. We had our CS:S Zombie Escape server's maximum update and cmd rates set to 32 - 46 back in the day and it worked fine. For anybody curious, this is our CS:GO ZE's CPU usage graph for the past year:

18094303cae4ce.png

@Riggs, I'd also suggest running WinMTR or something similar. Also as @Decoy said, ping the server IP (with the -t option specified) and when the spike occurs, go back to the command prompt and see if it is timing out or having a ping spike.

Since these appear to be in spikes, it's going to be hard to catch, but every two minutes is fairly often. Are you able to access your router's admin page? If so, could you try receiving any logs?

I may be able to help you through chat after work. Feel free to message me on Discord.

Thanks.

Posted  Edited by Riggs

After using the commands cl-updaterate and cl_cmdrate, the drops have become less frequent. Still an issue though. When they do happen, I have experienced packet loss of 65% or more at times. The commands help temporarily but don't solve the issue completely.  During spikes, I have found that I am not having a ping spike. Highest ping I've had during a spike was 75 when my normal is 25-40. I'll be monitoring my ping on the server more often to see if that's maybe the issue. 

Edited by Riggs

jinnd1.png

18 hours ago, Decoy said:

I have a question for CSGO players, "in: 3404," is that normal in CSGO? That seems insanely high from a CSS guy's perspective.

That is due to the amount of bandwidth a server like CS:GO ZE uses and sends to clients. From @Riggs screenshots, you can see a lot of data on the net graph as well. This is normal.

Zombie Escape is easily one of the most intensive game modes regarding CPU and bandwidth in CS:S/CS:GO in my opinion. The maps can be very large resulting in a lot of entity data and the game mode itself takes more resources than a normal game mode.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Riggs said:

After using the commands cl-updaterate and cl_cmdrate, the drops have become less severe. Still an issue though. When they do happen, I have experienced packet loss of 65% or more at times. The commands help temporarily but don't solve the issue completely.  During spikes, I have found that I am not having a ping spike. Highest ping I've had during a spike was 75 when my normal is 25-40. I'll be monitoring my ping on the server more often to see if that's maybe the issue. 

This doesn't seem to be a rates issues in my opinion. Though, I suppose you can try adjusting them to see if they help. 

I'd suggest running an MTR and seeing if you get any results there. Also, as mentioned before, run the ping command through Window's command prompt with the -t option specified and see if you receive any time outs.

Thanks.