Decoy

Search Engine Optimization (SEO)

Optimizing a website to rank high for different search terms in Google is incredibly important to bring in more traffic.

GFL has some great things going already. For example, GFL's domain age is great, it was registered in 2012, Google looks at domain age as a sign of trustworthiness. GFL is also using HTTPS, this is important as well since Google announced that they're now listing websites with HTTPS above websites with HTTP. Google loves content, so the fact that GFL has a forum immensely helps GFL's ranking.

I recommend making some minor changes to the website to better optimize for ranking in Google.

ranking.PNG.b6884293e6220639ca06d25742508e5e.PNG

• Change page titles for example: instead of 'GFL - Home' it should be something like 'GLF: Multi-Game Community Servers - Discord Gaming'

• The idea is to stuff a few searchable keywords into the title, and then make sure those keywords are found throughout the website (otherwise google won't honour them). It also helps people searching google immediately understand what the website is about. - Including the same keywords in the meta description is helpful as well.

games.PNG.76b7d0992ccd63db56a13434a6770a5e.PNG
  • Things like writing the names of games beside game icons on GFL so search engines see that and rank GFL higher in searches related to those games. Adding "alt" text to images/icons as well (text information that pops up when hovering your cursor over an image) will also help with SEO.

Basically I suggest starting with a few simple optimizations, and we can dwell deeper into SEO later on.

Posted  Edited by RockRoyce

To further this project idea, we could take a look at Google Trends and dwell on the "trending search terms" and incorporate it into our forums somehow. An example would be "News", which is a popular search term, in fact, it's the 6th most searched term in the past month. Following up this, we could add a "News" section where we can put in many trending headlines and discuss our opinions. Such as, the PyeongChang Winter Olympics 2018, which could easily boost traffic and the "SEO".

In addition, we could add many more frequent searched up keywords to help this so-called SEO. Since gaming is our main focus here at GFL, gaming news and discussions will for sure boost the SEO. If it were let's say "The New Map Released in CS:GO", it would attract more attention. This also comes from experience as I've been lead to a load of community forums if I had searched up a term that correlated to what was being discussed in that thread. Just some ideas and little things to say. PM me and I'll be more than happy to talk more!

PS: Just realised there's a News section. We could possibly just promote it more I guess (as there's no need to add it if it's already there)? Adding trending headlines could be discussed quite frequently and boost traffic as I'm sure that there's many politic geeks around and also people who enjoy the news.

Edited by RockRoyce

Yours Sincerely,

Royce

Public Relations | GFL Moderator

Profile | Twitter | GameTracker | Steam | Email

Former CS:GO JB Admin/EC