Jump to content
Duc2000

Computer acting wierd

Recommended Posts

Every once in a while, while I'm at my computer (not typing) the screen will just go grey. It's not the monitor, I tried unplugging the power and the HDMI, neither did anything. To fix it, I restart my computer. Now while yes that's a solution, anything I was one now has to reboot (steam has to "check for an update"). I just don't want to restart it every time this happens. Help please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Achievements

20 minutes ago, Duc2000 said:

Every once in a while, while I'm at my computer (not typing) the screen will just go grey. It's not the monitor, I tried unplugging the power and the HDMI, neither did anything. To fix it, I restart my computer. Now while yes that's a solution, anything I was one now has to reboot (steam has to "check for an update"). I just don't want to restart it every time this happens. Help please.

Talk to violator he he knows his shit when it comes to a computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be the graphics card.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you watching a video when this happens? IE netflix. Have more than one monitor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Violator said:

Are you watching a video when this happens? IE netflix. Have more than one monitor?

No, usually happens while on mozilla firefox I think. only 1 monitor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Achievements

2 minutes ago, Duc2000 said:

No, usually happens while on mozilla firefox I think. only 1 monitor.

Hmm try changing ur refresh rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Xy_ said:

Could be the graphics card.

 

I've seen this happen when the video card / GPU isn't getting enough power.  Is there anything funky installed like a power management software?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

check the power cables on your gpu and make sure it's seated propperly in the pcie slot. i had a simmilar issue and it turned out to be a loose power cable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, MASTAH said:

Windows + CTRL + C

if that's it then i'm gonna be mad. if it is and it's random then someone probably put a script somewhere that does it or you have a virus or some shit like that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Joshy said:

 

I've seen this happen when the video card / GPU isn't getting enough power.  Is there anything funky installed like a power management software?

I'll check to see if there is but I didn't download one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Achievements

4 hours ago, Duc2000 said:

I'll check to see if there is but I didn't download one. 

 

Some manufacturers such as Lenovo will have it installed and ready to go when you buy it, some software you download may have it inherently or require it, or they'll at least offer an easier way to diagnose or manage it (ie. Apple has calls theirs the "system management controller (SMC)"].  I'm going to be honest about this suggestion, though: I don't it's going to be software.  I suggested it first because it's one of the easier and cheaper solutions should it be the problem, and it's always better to approach cheaper and easier problems first.  You'll hear a lot of technicians and engineers refer to Occam's razor.  Try a benchmark test?

Edited by Joshy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for posting on such an old post. But I've realized that there has been quite some time since the last reply.

 

Is your problem solved?

 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pyros said:

Sorry for posting on such an old post. But I've realized that there has been quite some time since the last reply.

 

Is your problem solved?

 

Cheers!

No rip me. I've just learned to live with it. (This can be closed)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Achievements

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...