gkuo88

Client side skins for the gflclan csgo servers.

Time to send everything into cancer.

This will be a giant guide on explanations on how to screw around with skins in order to wank up your experience on the GFL CSGO server. If you're willing to place in a bit of extra effort you can mess around with your experience. 

Warning: This is completely experimental and thus generally can create odd results. I've seen some odd stuff I got no idea on, like really long hands, and alot of lag for multi-texture skins that uses lots of possible textures. This can be undone, and in a logical aspect, you shouldn't get banned for it.

First of all, I will need to talk alot.

The two main skins that gfl uses are mcwhite and nkpolice. These can be found in your directory.

Steam\SteamApps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\models\player\custom_player\legacy\GFLclan\mcwhite

Steam\SteamApps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\models\player\custom_player\caleon1\nkpolice

Now heres how server side skins seem to work. (I think)

The first time you go onto the gfl server, the server checks these locations for 2 things before downloading the custom model files.

a. The directory of the skin (csgo\models\player\custom_player\legacy\GFLclan\mcwhite)

b. The model files (mcwhite.dx90.vtx, mcwhite.mdl, mcwhite.phy, mcwhite.vvd)

If the model files are in a different directory, or the the directory is empty and doesn't have the model files, the server will thus download the model files into the correct directory. Thus, the second, third, fourth... times you go onto the server, the server will not redownload the model files and overwrite them.

Thus, the server simply check these 2 things. Thus if you delete the mcwhite files, replaced them with different model files, and simply renamed the model files, then it will bypass through and instead of master chief, you will see the model you replaced it with.

Continue in next section.

Posted  Edited by gkuo88

Now, this will only work under certain conditions, which I regard as a "test run" or "personal complilement" (most of this is uncertain, mostly trial and error)

The "test run" refers to having already played with the skin itself. Suppose you went to a ching chong server, thus you downloaded a weaboo skin and thus you played on the server and saw the weaboo skin. Thus it has satisfied the requirement, and if you know the location of the model files of the weaboo skin in your directory, you can move them to the mcwhite folder, and rename all the weaboo skin files with "mcwhite". The point of this requirement is that you cannot do this renaming trick if you downloaded some random skin off the internet and never seen in run in csgo.

The "personal compilement" refers to if you work with skins, you can compile a skin under the name mcwhite, and under the mcwhite folder, which you can then give to another player, and even if you have never seen it run on csgo before, it should work. Note that after you have sent it to another player, they still cannot rename it, but it should now work under the mcwhite location if it was compiled under the mcwhite location with the mcwhite name.

Materials

Under the "test run", you have gone onto another server. Thus you have downloaded both the model files and the materials files. Note because of this, you only need to replace the model files. When the model files are compiled, they have code with them that denotes which materials in which folder they are to use. Thus if model files are renamed, the code referring to the correct materials do not change. Thus there is no need to rename or change any of the materials.

Why cant you get banned for this

Valve seems to have no juristiction over custom server side stuff, especially on community servers, probably because they would get sued by bungie or something lel. However, the logical reasoning I have for this is like this. Suppose you went to another server that had a BLACK master chief skin. The model files and material files are all in the same location, and the material files are all exactly the same, down to their size (and even the name, mcwhite), except they're BLACK. Now suppose you went to that server first before going onto GFL server, with the WHITE master chief. There's probably no program out there that can check exactly that every pixel of the materials are exactly the same, so you end up playing on gfl with a BLACK master chief skin.

So the question is, who is at fault? The answer is no one. Both servers had their own versions of the skin, and the player shouldn't even know what the heck is going on in their directory. Thus you cant lay blame to anyone and thus you cant really get banned for this stuff. Also im pretty sure tos states you cant modify any of the original game stuff, but not community made stuff, which was kinda downloaded to your computer without you knowing about it.

More stuff later.

Can other people see your skins?

NO, you have modified the files within your own directory, not the files within other players directory. Thus even if you are seeing cute animu skins, they will still see master chief.

How to get rid of

Go back to the directory, and simply delete the modified model files. If you hadn't made a backup, it doesnt matter. The next time you come onto the gfl server, it will check and realize the files are missing and will redownload the original files.

Notes 

Look for skins under 

Steam\SteamApps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\models\player\custom_player\

This is important, somewhere in the past, csgo redid all their skeletons of the models. Thus all old custom skins that are not in the custom_player folder will look retarded. If you replace a model within the custom_player folder with one that was outside of it, it will just look stupid or something. Consider getting rid of that old combine elite skin admoons, if its still an old skeleton. If it is, then ur shootin urself with dem berrettas.

You can do the same trick to materials, its a way for you to get a cheap skin transparency. I'm not giving the steps out for that though cause I know there will be some witch hunt and some dick waving contest afterwards. 

More cancer tommorrow, probably an explanation on multi texture skins

Edited by gkuo88

Multi-Texture Skins

For some, prospect of seeing the same skin over and over again may seem a bit bland. Note that the above trick only replaces one model with one model. Thus since gfl has 2 main skins, you can only choose up to 2 models to replace them with. You can also replace the members, VIP, winners skins as well, thus increasing the number of models you could possibly see, but they will appear at the same percentage as members, VIP, winners skins. Thus unless you want to do alot of work, the replacement trick is best used on servers where you see alot of the same skin.

Like I said before, some might find this bland. Thus there is another trick that permits multiple possible textures on a single skin. However, in most cases, this would mean alot extra work, as you might have to use photoshop or some other image altering program along with vtf edit. The laziest way to demonstrate this oddity would be testing it out with an example. Note that more possible textures will also mean more lag usually, unless you got a really good computer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/orudn9saqw0rzg5/HibikiTachibanaCSGOClient.zip?dl=0

Feel free to use this at your own risk. It's been some time since i've tested this stuff out on another player. All you have to do is put the models and materials folder within your csgo directory (which should also also have a models and materials folder, and thus the folders should just merge). This will replace white master chief with a weab skin that utilizes the multiple texture. The next several steps will need vtfedit.

Posted  Edited by gkuo88

Going deep into the materials folder that was downloaded, you can see the materials files for this model, which are either vmt or vtf files

Lets start with vmt files. Model files will first refer to the vmt files, and the vmt files will refer to vtf files. Opening a vmt file will bring up something like this.

"VertexLitGeneric"
{
    "$baseTexture" "models\player\gkuo88\HibikiTexture\Arm"
    "$Selfillum" "1"
    "$selfillummaskscale" ".25"
    "$nodecal" "1"
    "$lightwarptexture" "models\player\gkuo88\HibikiTexture\toonshadeskin"

$rand 0
    $one 1
    $zero 0
    $frame 100
    $framec 1
    $result 0
    "Proxies"
    {
        "EntityRandom"
                    {
                        "scale" "15.99"
                        "resultVar" "$rand"
                        }

"Frac"
        {
        "srcVar1" "$rand"
        "resultVar" "$result"
        }

"Equals" //Set baseTexture
          {
                    "srcVar1" "$result"
                    "resultVar" "$frame"    
             }
    }

}

Theres some fun stuff here, but in short, the bold code part is what add a randomizer effect. Combined with a vtf file that has multiple frames, it can make it so there are many possible textures for a single skin. The line you want to take note of is:

"scale" "15.99"

I dont know much about coding, so i cant really explain it well, but in short, this permits up to 16 possible textures. If you open one of the larger vtf files, you can go through the frames and see it goes from frame 0-15. Thus if you are planning to manipulate another texture like the mcwhite files, and you had a red ver texture, green ver texture, and a blue ver texture, along with the white, you have 4 possible textures, and thus you should change the number to 3.99.

"$Selfillum" "1"
    "$selfillummaskscale" ".25"

Selfillum will add a glow effect to parts of the texture that are not masked

selfillummaskscale determines the intensity in which the glow effect is applied. Csgo has very high levels of glow, so you might want to change this down to .1

Edited by gkuo88

Posted  Edited by gkuo88

Now looking through the HibikiTextureColors folder, you will note that there are a bunch of smaller textures. You can open them in vtfedit, and export them as a .tga file. Note that you cannot export the large vtf file, as it has multiple frames. Once you have your selection of .tga files, you can go back to vtfedit, and use import and import multiple .tga files at once (shift click). This will create a vtf file with multiple frames. If you wish to do a test, or you feel that 16 possible textures is too laggy for your toaster, you can import a smaller selection and change the scale number in the corresponding vmt file to a lower value. Note that if they are imported in the correct order, the scale number will stay the same for all textures. Thus in game you should see frame 3 arms, frame 3 body, frame 3 legs, frame 3 headset on the same body.

If you wish to test this about with other skin textures, you can use vtfedit to export it to a tga file, and the use a program like photoshop to create multiple copies of the same texture with color or other changes. Then like before, import the tga file all at once into a single vtf file. Note that the more possible textures you have, the laggier it should get. Also note that there is some limit to texture file size. Also note when importing multiple .tga files, they all need to be the same dimentions. One tga cant be 256 x256 while another is 512 x 512. You can also look up masks and selfillum to create other tricks to the textures.

Also if you do these tests, make sure that texture files are in the right location!

Edited by gkuo88

12 hours ago, donchill said:

just release the anime skins already

2B skin when

coconut skin when

eh the entire point of the guide is that most people probably arent going to get the skin ya want on the server, but you can still see the skins you want with by switching around. Just find the 2b and coconut skins and do the trick and you'll see lots of them. I know they exist cause i ported one of them lol. 

Posted  Edited by donchill
13 hours ago, gkuo88 said:

eh the entire point of the guide is that most people probably arent going to get the skin ya want on the server, but you can still see the skins you want with by switching around. Just find the 2b and coconut skins and do the trick and you'll see lots of them. I know they exist cause i ported one of them lol. 

the question is can you port a Rem skin. and im sure 1 anime skin for vips or admins wouldnt hurt

Edited by donchill

5 minutes ago, donchill said:

the question is can you port a Rem skin. and im sure 1 anime skin for vips or admins wouldnt hurt

ive seen a 2b skin on pse but there is no rem skin on csgo that i can find

Posted  Edited by FrozenH2O

Just thought I would throw this in here since this thread talks about .vmt files: For anyone that is bothering to mess around with the .vmt files for customizing your own models, if you want to change the opacity of models (so you can see through a stack of 40 humans for lasers for example), add the line

"$alpha" "0.2"

into ALL of the .vmt files (add it between the first { and the last } in the file but NOT within a nested set of { } ) in the materials for the model you want to make semi-transparent. You can use other values than 0.2 (0 is invisible, 1 is opaque), I just find 0.2 to be nice. If you can't find the materials of a model, download Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - SDK from the tools list in your steam library, then open up model viewer in it. In the model viewer, click open, navigate to the model, then open it. With the model open, go to the "Materials" menu, click one of the materials, then click "$basetexture" in the submenu that appears and it has the location (relative to the directory \Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\materials\) of the materials.  After you find the materials for the model and change all the .vmt files, make sure to restart CS:GO and then the models that you changed should be partially invisible. Here is a reference picture as to how invisible 0.2 is and how your game should look if you do change the opacity: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1349296613. Also, note there is no way to toggle this off and on in-game, so if you only want invisible models during lasers but visible at other times, you are out of luck unless a server plugin is added. If you want more info on $alpha, here is the valve post about it: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$alpha

EDIT: If changing opacity is considered an exploit because it gives players an unfair advantage at stuff like lasers, some admin just say so and I'll edit out the contents of this post so people don't assume this is fine and use it. Until an admin verifies one way or the other, use at your own risk.

Edited by FrozenH2O

• 2 weeks later...
Posted  Edited by gkuo88 - Edit Reason: Translucent is not needed.

More shitposty to come!

Since frozen has already revealed how to do one method basic transparency, and since it seems like the forums are barely checked about this stuff, heres an extra treat. George was able to provide me a code that grants distance based trasnparency, rendering skins invisible when nearby and viewable when farther away. I haven't done much testing with this, so im pretty sure the values can be manipulated to produce different effects determining the distance, and max and min translucency. The needed code is the bolded stuff.

"VertexlitGeneric"
{
    "$basetexture"     "models/player/gkuo88/purplesister/hair_c"
    "$lightwarptexture" "models/player/gkuo88/purplesister/lightwarp"
    $halflambert                1
    $nodecal     1

"$translucent" 1

"$playerdistance" 0
        "$clampvar" 0
        "$distsub" 1.3

"Proxies"
        {
                "Subtract"
                {
                        "srcVar1" "$playerdistance"
                        "srcVar2" "$distsub"
                        "resultVar" "$clampvar"
                }
                "Clamp"
                {
                        "srcVar1" "$clampvar"
                        "min" 0
                        "max" 1
                        "resultVar" "$alpha"
                }
                "PlayerProximity"
                {
                        "resultVar" "$playerdistance"
                        "scale" 0.01
                }
        }

}

Notes:

As a side effect, when playing as a zombie when ya get near humans they will disappear as well lol. Changing min and max values might do something.

If there are other textures that use "proxies", you have to combine the proxies. The multitexture hibiki skin i provided has a randomizer, thus you will have to combine whatever thats inside into one single "proxies" bracket.

Edited by gkuo88
Translucent is not needed.