Roy

[CS:S BHop] Server Downtime

Hello,

I just wanted to address an issue regarding our CS:S Bunny Hop server. Since yesterday morning, the server has been down. Initially, I was switching the server from our VPS (Linux) to our Windows machine. The VPS is getting cancelled tomorrow since CS:S BHop was the only live server on it and our machines are currently under-loaded. Unfortunately, during the move process, something didn't go right with NFO's back end which prevented the server from booting up. A console.log file wasn't even being generated which indicated that a Windows library from SRCDS was most likely missing or a configuration error with the back end.

I had to open a ticket with NFO and ended up waiting most of the day for the CEO to look into it and fix the issue that prevented the server from booting up. Although that issue was fixed, a new one began. With the newest version of Shavit's Timer, SourceMod 1.9 is required. SourceMod 1.9 is a dev build and is considered unstable. After upgrading to SM 1.9 and recompiling the plugins with the SM 1.9 build, the server starts correctly, but it spams this in the console:

Unable to get callback interface for ""

With that said, when a client attempts to join the server, the server immediately crashes. After investigating and disabling certain extensions/plugins, it turns out a STOCK installation of SourceMod 1.9 still has this issue. I renamed the old addons/sourcemod folder and uploaded a stock installation of SM 1.9 and still ran into the issue. Please note, SM 1.8 works fine but is not capable with the timer plugin we currently use. I also built a stock configuration directory (cstrike/cfg) along with switching from the stable Metamod builds to the dev builds. Unfortunately, no luck.

I installed a stock CS:S server on a Windows VPS I have along with SM 1.9 + Metamod (dev build) and it appears to work fine. This means it is more than likely something with our server (custom files) or NFO's CS:S servers (less likely). This has left me completely stumped.

I will continue investigating this issue and I hope to find the cause soon. I will continue to update everybody on the progress.

I just wanted to apologize for this inconvenience and the downtime. I was hoping we wouldn't run into these issues but unfortunately it has happened. Moving from Linux to Windows has caused issues for us in the past.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

Thanks.

Hello,

The server is now back online and it did not take me long to find out what was causing the crashes after work.

Unfortunately, the issue was overlooked and actually quite a simple fix. We had a sourcemod.vdf file both in the addons/metamod and addons/ directories. SourceMod is a Metamod plugin and since the sourcemod.vdf was also copied into addons/ folder, it was being loaded as a standalone plugin. After removing the sourcemod.vdf from addons/, the server booted fine and didn't have any issues regarding spam and crashes when players connected. I do not know why it still worked fine with SM 1.8, but considering it was being loaded as a standalone plugin, I'd assume it wouldn't work correctly anyways.

Once again, I apologize for the downtime.

Thanks.