Roy

The Future Of GFL

We're finally shrinking down and cutting the dead weight.

Woot.

Also, why can't I use a space in my name. :(

RIP the 10k post count dream, boys.

Edited by Major_Push
  • Like 2

Its a new day for GFL. I am so excited right now. I can't wait to experience that new GFL Forums and changes to the servers

• Like 1

Nice. Unfortunate past few weeks, but now that the forums are up, hopefully we can translate passions for the forums into passion for the servers.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Roy said:

Cutting Down On Servers
With GFL being rebuilt, we thought it would be best to cut down on game servers that:

1. Don’t generate much traffic.
  2. Don’t generate any donations.

I cry. Don't hurt me :(.

• Like 3

Well, I am excited to try out the newer forums.

I am suspecting the length of this upgrade and security risks may have cost us a good number of members, but maybe this will give us an opportunity to improve our forum community this time around instead of trying to fix the old one.  I hope some other changes that might be considered is how someone becomes an admin; I sincerely feel that 25 post count requirement (I'm not sure if it'll still be in place here) was toxic for our community.  Although the players would have never achieved their goals, they still posted on the forums and sets of people trying to make their way to that 25 could literally causes an 100 ~ 200 posts of absolute crap.

It looks like we have a lot of new features.  I'm really happy about that.  I recalling tagging someone was not as convenient, and you had to type in brackets Member with their complete name.  Some people would change their name and the tag would go bad...

Bummer about Sourcebans!  It's very resourceful and that should be fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks for the update, @Roy.  I can tell a lot of effort went into this upgrade and it looks like it will be worth it.  Great job.

• Like 4

So the website is officially back on? For some reason in the past couple days whenever I visited the gfl website to check, I stumbled upon a link to denro's nfoservers.com test forum, which appeared to have made in the beginning of the year and registered an account on there. The new website looks pretty good.

Hey, Nice work on the website and on the security of the users!
I hope no more incidents as serious as the last ones ever happen again!
Game on and cheers!

15 hours ago, Snoopy said:

Here's to a fresh new start for GFL.

beer-toast1.jpg

THE NEW WEBSITE LOOKS SO COOL! MAJOR UPGRADE! LOVE IT! GOOD JOB GUYS! The new GFL is certainly better than before! We have taken a huge hit, however, we can still go through this and show those hackers that we won't let it get to us, that we will stand strong as a community!

I think the higher ups need a big THANK YOU! for doing their best to find the problem, fix it, and then having to REDO tho WHOLE WEBSITE! It must have taken HOURS of their time!

Anyway, thanks guys for getting the forums back up and doing your best, I think we all appreciate it :D

THANK YOU!

-DankMoose

22 hours ago, Roy said:

Cutting Down On Servers
With GFL being rebuilt, we thought it would be best to cut down on game servers that:

1. Don’t generate much traffic.
  2. Don’t generate any donations.

I'm curious to how you guys are going to cut down servers. I know that there are some that can get fairly active during certain time periods but, from about 23:00-10:00 there are only 2-4 people on.

2 hours ago, DankMoose said:

I'm curious to how you guys are going to cut down servers. I know that there are some that can get fairly active during certain time periods but, from about 23:00-10:00 there are only 2-4 people on.

I'm assuming that aspect is more based on whether or not they generate donations. I doubt they'll need to have populations at odd times. Just my thought, though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

anyways, am glad new forums are up. Do you know how much YouTube I've binge watched the past week or so...

Edited by Addy

Honestly I'm not sure if i joined at a good or bad time. But being a former community owner I fully understand the situation and if there is any help i can provide feel free to ask. 

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Fresh start with the same management. You've essentially sent the same storm troopers back out again to get the Jedi after they failed the first 10 times....

It seems as though you do not understand the circumstances here. Changes have always been made and are always made. GFL has improved its security, its staff, etc.

It's certainly not the same that has "failed" before.

• Like 1

Achievements

Your lack of security and piss poor management decisions lead to my confidential information being leaked to the internet. Information I trusted to your website. You have failed and then prance back in here with a half ass apology and pretend it's all going to be okay. The trust is gone dude.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dano said:

GFL has improved its security, its staff, etc.

It's certainly not the same that has "failed" before.

On 6/4/2016 at 2:52 PM, Roy said:

We have a few theories about how it all happened and we’ve taken steps to mitigate it as best as we could.  

>Got hacked 3 times on the same day

>Still don't know how

>Improved security

ishygddt.jpg

Sometimes trying your best is still not enough.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Your lack of security and piss poor management decisions lead to my confidential information being leaked to the internet. Information I trusted to your website. You have failed and then prance back in here with a half ass apology and pretend it's all going to be okay. The trust is gone dude.

May I make a suggestion to you sir?