im not inactive you are

Buying Unbans

So I recently posted something on a Perma Ban suggestion. 

I also played on another community before I found GFL where buying unbans was a thing.

Here's how it works:

- Works with everyone

- Costs anything the higherups would want it to cost, on the community I used to play in, they cost $15 each.

- Helps with donations to the server

- Some scenarios

= Banned permanently, the appeal didn't work in the way the person wanted it, and they want to play on the server again, they pay $15 and play again.

= Someone is banned for hacking, they know they fucked up, they pay $15 and join the server again.

= Someone is banned for a week, they aren't unbanned with the appeal, they pay the $15 and join the server.

- Might seem like they could skip out on the whole appeal thing, but it does help the server with unbans that have a fixed cost that higherups set. 

Anyways it's just so people stop complaining about "perma bans" and bans in general, it won't change how admins ban people, just a way for people to help out the community while getting an unban.

Former Gmod Prop Hunt Admin

Former Media Team Team Leader

Former Media Team GFX Member

I'm kinda neutral.

Would it be a way to generate money? Yes.

Would it make appealing some bans not worth it if you have some money to spare? Yes.

How would we regulate how many bans they can buy each year, wouldn't that make GFL a "pay to win" community? 

76561198048327544.png

@Ash-'s opinion on gmod: 

4smalUvk.png
image.png.c3ced03940ca3f9bff0b8c6b1b425d4f.png

I mean it's not technically pay to win since paying isn't the only way to gain access to the server, other than paying you could wait the time (except if it's permanent, then you're fucked and have to wait 3 months to appeal again). You don't have a benefit over others if you pay for an unban, you just save the "hassle" of appealing and help the community. As for controlling how many they can buy per year, I would set the price at something neutral, that someone might not be willing to pay over and over, but at the same time would be willing to pay to play on the server again without having to wait. Something around $10-15, I've seen a bunch of donations around $25, so maybe something around $20?

Posted  Edited by John Jeez Man

-1, Kinda feels like we’re robbing their money. It’s their own fault for getting banned. They have the motd when joining the server on their screen, so by closing it. You are accepting what’s coming to ya if you break a rule. Also, kinda feels like it a bypass for bans. Someone can be mad rich and just buy their bans out.

Edited by John Jeez Man

Server Manager of Squad.

be2e3ce9254c6a1d33fee472ec4323a3.png

1 minute ago, John Jeez Man said:

-1, Kinda feels like we’re robbing their money. It’s their own fault for getting banned. They have the motd when joining the server on their screen, so by closing it. You are accepting what’s coming to ya if you break a rule. Also, kinda feels like it a bypass for bans. Someone can be mad rich and just by there bans out.

I meant it as a way for the community to make money off of people that are banned. Not really robbing their money if they're willing to pay it, and as for someone being mad rich, well if they keep getting banned, their money is going to the community, so it's a win-win situation. (coming from an admin point of view, I could see what you're saying that it could be annoying to keep banning someone that buys unbans), but I see it as a way for the community to grow. 

Just now, King_Wailord said:

If someone can pay to get unbanned, why ban them in the first place?

Because it benefits the community monetary-wise, same concept as with "why donate when I can play on the server for free?"

Just now, John Jeez Man said:

We are already getting money by Supporters and VIP. 

I only suggested it as another way to make money, not making it seem desperate for money, but it does seem like we are desperate for players in some servers. Having the unban would let those people who were banned in some servers be able to join back, sure it's like a bypass you could say, but the server gains something from it. 

Council was complaining that there are too many p-bans, this reduces the amount of people that are p-banned, or banned in general, increases player count (and again, not set it at an retarded low number).

Just now, John Jeez Man said:

We could use the months, years bans. So instead of going from 1week to perma ban. Scretch it out. 

See that's just a hassle, no monetary gain from it, just adding more of a hassle to admins banning. At least in TTT, where I have near 900 bans, I can say that just adding year bans is useless as fuck, and we already use the 1w - 1m - perm

Considering that most people who get permabanned are either trolling fuckwits or people who are cheating twits..

This is a bad idea.

(I would know. Considering I’ve banned over 2k of those kinds of people)

-1, reasons stated already by John and Wailord. If they get banned, they're banned. If they want to appeal the ban then they need to go on on the forums and make one. We shouldn't let them buy unbans just so they can get out of a ban that they earned.

Average HL2RP Enjoyer.

Achievements

Definitely seems like a pay to win type system. Why follow the rules when you can mess with people for as much as you want, then pay 15$ to get unbanned and do it again. Of course, people wouldn't be willing to constantly shell out money just to play on one server, but it really does make the system feel broken.

Hope your day has been good so far, go ahead and move onto the next comment, I got nothin' for you anymore :) 

45 minutes ago, TheSadBandit said:

Council was complaining that there are too many p-bans, this reduces the amount of people that are p-banned, or banned in general, increases player count (and again, not set it at an retarded low number).

Or, you could make the logical choice and change your procedure on banning people :benthinking:

Besides, for most of our servers it is cheaper to make a new steam account and buy the game again rather than pay for an unban.

And why would we give hackers a chance to play on our servers? Bans are meant to do the opposite of what You're suggesting.

This is a very bad idea that we shouldn't even  consider if we desperately needed the money to keep the servers up.Bans as i saw wailord say are there to punish rule breakers and are there for a good reason.It wouldn't be fair if people who had extra money could abuse that and escape punishment and had such an unfair advantage to people who didn't have money.All in all it's wrong in a lot of ways,it defeats the purpose of punishments,draws players away and would make us greedy.

We shouldn't even be voting on this honestly. -1

I honestly do not like this idea. Just like how others have said, this would make GFL look bad with pay-to-win and other stuff.  If one user gets banned, it's their own fault.

76561198043643390.png