FireStarter

Writing CS:GO console output to a file

There is con_logfile command for writing console output to a file. I have it loaded in my autoexec.cfg like this: con_logfile "conlog.txt"
It used to work just fine, but has stopped working after the Panorama UI update.

The command gets executed (when I type con_logfile in CS:GO console, I get the confirmation), but conlog.txt is not created or appended anymore in "...\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\" folder.
I've tried using con_logfile command in CS:GO console with a different output file name. The result is the same (the command gets executed, the output file parameter gets stored, but the file does not get written on disk).

Condump command is working.

Does con_logfile command still work for you?

maybe the file location got moved? (i don't know if that's even possible i'm just throwing out ideas)

the panorama UI seems to have eliminated or modified several config commands. @Vauff seems to have explored some of them, and typically knows a few things about what is going on under the hood as far as the new UI and the game engine as a whole so hopefully he can chime in. 

He also loves the new UI so much he wants to become life partners with it! 

5 hours ago, hotEvercLear said:

the panorama UI seems to have eliminated or modified several config commands. @Vauff seems to have explored some of them, and typically knows a few things about what is going on under the hood as far as the new UI and the game engine as a whole so hopefully he can chime in. 

He also loves the new UI so much he wants to become life partners with it! 

I'm not that much of an expert with Panorama/Source :P

I used con_logfile a couple months back on Scaleform without issues, so it was definitely working semi-recently before Panorama. Unlike the snd_musicvolume incident the con_logfile command does still exist, it just doesn't seem to log anything anymore. Likely a bug, but I wouldn't count on Valve fixing something so obscure. 

OK. At least now I know that it is not just me.

On 9/21/2018 at 8:51 PM, motorsteak said:

maybe the file location got moved? (i don't know if that's even possible i'm just throwing out ideas)

I've searched the HDD for the file. It is nowhere to be found. And “condump” command still writes its file in the same folder (where “con_logfile” did as well).

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/20/2018 at 6:07 PM, FireStarter said:

There is con_logfile command for writing console output to a file. I have it loaded in my autoexec.cfg like this: con_logfile "conlog.txt"
It used to work just fine, but has stopped working after the Panorama UI update.

The command gets executed (when I type con_logfile in CS:GO console, I get the confirmation), but conlog.txt is not created or appended anymore in "...\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\" folder.
I've tried using con_logfile command in CS:GO console with a different output file name. The result is the same (the command gets executed, the output file parameter gets stored, but the file does not get written on disk).

Condump command is working.

Does con_logfile command still work for you?

I'm abit late but idk if you figured it out, you have to add .log as the extension instead, so for example "con_logfile test.log"

Posted  Edited by FireStarter
22 hours ago, xSnowyAngel said:

I'm abit late but idk if you figured it out, you have to add .log as the extension instead, so for example "con_logfile test.log"

Thank you! Changing file extension has made the command work again.

I've previously searched for it in CS:GO Updates Release Notes, Valve Developer Community Wiki and in Google, but didn't find a solution.

Edited by FireStarter