Console

Possibility of opening a second ZE server

Posted  Edited by Console

Intro

As many of you know, GFL CSGO ZE has been a long standing #1 NA CSGO ZE community in terms of active server population and number of active regular players. With the new csgo update that allows people to play csgo for free even on community servers, it is important for this community to prepare itself for the upcoming boom in csgo player base and a huge increase in our player base should be especially expected.

What are you suggesting?

In order to use this chance and expand our community even more, I am suggesting that GFL opens a second NA csgo ze server for the upcoming boost in population.

Is it really necessary?

I believe yes. Even though GFL is a NA community, we still have a lot of existing player base from around the world, especially in the CSGO ZE server. If you guys are in the server regularly and pay attention to the ping list of the players, you can see a lot of those with 100+ping or even 200+ping all day long. Plus the server's huge NA player base, the current server is full, if not most, for at least half of the day. Here is the server stats I took directly from gametracker.

1857884241_T_B60RQTDZ2)IB9OHA1.png.a2eaa3f17932a4d1236a16629debec71.png815512683_O@)FHSRZI6STY35_Y(20.png.1b472243b4753233175c2e827fa3b96e.png
Ignoring the low pop due to server crashes/csgo updates, it's pretty self-evident how popular the server is. It's so hard to join the server especially on tryhard maps that sometimes I had to keep retrying for 5+ minutes. And that's only pre-free-csgo era.  With csgo now becoming free to play, we will definitely have a boost in server population, from Asia to NA to the rest of the world, and it's important that we prepare enough room for these players to join this community.
So what now?
I understand that this is a difficult and time-consuming decision to make. That's exactly why I made this post so that I can explain the necessity of an extra ZE server. If higher ups are not convinced by this post yet, just wait for a few days when more and more people pour into the server every day. I also understand that more management power is needed for a new server, and we have a lot of players here that can potentially help out managing the server by applying for admins. I am also suggesting to potentially limit the access to one of the ze servers to prime only to avoid management problems (item trolls on free accounts, mic spams, chat spams, etc.). And the other server will have no access restrictions and open to both prime and non prime csgo players.
Edited by Console

Posted  Edited by Flops - Edit Reason: added more shit

1. Roy would be skeptical ( I think )

2. Would divide our already insanely divided playerbase (causal v tryhard etc)

3. I envision 1 sv becomes a tryhard only one and second server becomes casual only

4. Very risky move that can be insanely beneficial for our community - imagine 2 64/64 servers and loads of new donations + influence

If higher ups are considering this btw, yall should probably act ASAP cuz free csgo = huge influx of people happening right fkin now 

Edited by Flops
added more shit

All would depend on how this F2P change turns out for community servers.

If we start getting population, I'm willing to open up servers in our UK location and even opening up an expansion in Asia or another location if wanted. OVH has pretty good machines in Singapore:

24-12-06-2018-FAeVAGIB.png

All depends on how everything turns out.

I still want Valve to implement this change to the server browser, though... I would be very confident community servers would start receiving population if 3/4 of the list wasn't full of empty and password-protected servers.

Thanks.

I agree that before making this big of a move, you should wait a tiny bit to see how big of an impact this change will be. For all the speculation happening, you could have a very small increase in population, or a very big one; it can go both ways, and waiting it out to see would be a reasonable decision tbh

Posted  Edited by WarpedCakez

There are not even enough admins to fully monitor one server what makes yall think two servers will have admins watching?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, we used to have two ZE servers, one in EU and one in NA. Let's just say the EU server didn't work out (other server competition).

Edited by WarpedCakez

Imo this probably isn't the best idea due to dividing the player base completely. I guess if the influx of players is a large as some say it will be a second server should be considered but right now I dont think the amount of players coming to ze will be as great as predicted. Most people already own csgo and to those who don't will probably be younger kids who don't really care to stick around. Also, i'm guessing a much smaller fraction of the newer players will find their way into ze and will instead stick to the new game mode or competitive. At least wait a few months to see how it goes and then consider a second server.

1 hour ago, WarpedCakez said:

There are not even enough admins to fully monitor one server what makes yall think two servers will have admins watching?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, we used to have two ZE servers, one in EU and one in NA. Let's just say the EU server didn't work out (other server competition).

This is what I was thinking but I was told they get on usually when NA is sleep

Chill Water Fall.gif

Posted  Edited by 1mpact

The Singapore idea sounds good to me. Not just because I'll get less ping, but because while there are Asian servers, there's none that I know of in the Singapore/SEA region that have decent management and there's a surprising amount of potential players in SEA. Zeddy's was very popular despite, having bad admins/ autocratic server managers and not being able to nominate, a SEA server has lots of potential without these issues. 

give Asia/Aus/NZ good ping 

Edited by 1mpact

Posted  Edited by ReivaX

yo @1mpact gonna be admin of singapore server?

+1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

to be a little more realistic, i would love a gfl server closer to home, however, i am concerned with the 'expectations' for the server.

As evidenced with the recent zeddy's server (which i keep promoting everywhere) there is enough people interested to keep a zombie's server up and running and with a functional player base...

but

because (maybe) you'd be targeting old au, nz communities, and then the zeddy's crowd that it may become a bit of a culture clash with the US style, or the server is looked down on by others because of a less capable player base. Looking forward to whatever you consider.

Might be worth getting rid of my microwave for...

Edited by ReivaX

On 12/6/2018 at 6:09 PM, Console said:

I am also suggesting to potentially limit the access to one of the ze servers to prime only to avoid management problems (item trolls on free accounts, mic spams, chat spams, etc.). And the other server will have no access restrictions and open to both prime and non prime csgo players.

This needs to happen.

I'm backk.

Fulfill wants and needs before they exist...  good idea.  It's better to establish the availability early on instead of scrambling along with other communities to adjust to these changes- it gives us no competitive edge to be late.  We certainly aren't new to opening and closing low population servers should the prediction be wrong.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152