Roy

[CS:GO] In-Game Server Browser Ideas

And yes, I know I am crazy for even trying to get Valve to change anything community server-related considering Valve has only hurt community servers in the last few years (especially the servers that obeyed their guidelines unfortunately). However, as long as I'm in GFL and active, I'm going to try to push Valve to provide better support for community servers ;) 

Thanks.

• Roy pinned this topic
59 minutes ago, positive said:

RIP ZM EU ;-;7

It would definitely come back if the server browser was ever improved ;)

I've tried querying the Master Server with the filters \appid\730\password\0, \appid\730\password\1, and \appid\730\nor\1\white\1\password\0 and it appears the password filter is just non-existent or not working anymore. So I couldn't get the amount of CS:GO password-protected servers for now. I will adjust my script to do a for loop and detect if the server has a password or not.

I've also made a Youtube video of my current in-game server browser and as you can see, there are many password-protected servers along with empty servers:

Thanks.

Posted  Edited by Skittlez · Hidden
Hidden

To start I just want to clarify that I completely agree with you. The CS:GO in-game server browser is truly a disappointment. At times I struggle to find servers that I know are online, for example, the minigames server. In CS:GO if you open the browser and type "GFL" and refresh you'd hope to see all of our CS servers. Unfortunately, that's not the case. With no filters on my search, the only servers that came up were our ZE server and some random Russian ZM server: 

f09aefce58c690b93e0b0f2b7b0fc154.png 

Our 1v1 server does not have GFL as a tag so it would make sense as to why that server wouldn't show up. However, minigames does have the tag and still doesn't show up:

7e4a91faa9ef10932b1ecf527bfdf0df.png 

This is rather disappointing and could explain why the minigames server isn't doing as well as it could be. Now, if there is a reason that it's not showing up for me then please let me know. Also, the server doesn't show up when you change the tag from GFL to GFLClan either. 

On 12/7/2018 at 6:27 PM, Roy said:

What I'm going to propose to Valve is to have things setup similar to how Garry's Mod is. A rating system. The higher your rate is, the more further down your server shows. The lower your server rating is, the higher the server shows on the list. Basically, the server browser should sort by the server's rating ascending. Therefore, the lower the rating is, the better. I'm pulling this code from the JavaScript file the Garry's Mod in-game server browser uses and this is how they determine the server's rating:

data.recommended = data.ping;
	if ( data.players == 0 ) data.recommended += 100; // Server is empty
	if ( data.players == data.maxplayers ) data.recommended += 75; // Server is full
	if ( data.pass ) data.recommended += 300; // If we can't join it, don't put it to the top

// The first few bunches of players reduce the impact of the server's ping on the ranking a little
	if ( data.players >= 16 ) data.recommended -= 40;
	if ( data.players >= 32 ) data.recommended -= 20;
	if ( data.players >= 64 ) data.recommended -= 10;

I really like this idea and think it would work also very well with CS:GO. However, my only fear is that CS:GO servers that are full would be lowered in the server browser. For example, all Zombie Escape server are listed as shown: 

19473092bf202285367c74a3e7645839.png 

Assuming we list these servers using the GMod server rating method they would appear as shown:

c7a877dbd2c92b9a2c4e2bb62b069ff5.png 

Unless I've done my calculations wrong our server would drop 4 places just because I have a good ping and it's full. And for the second server, it dropped 8 places because its max player is set to 61 and I have a bad ping. I believe the rating system works very well in GMod. I also believe it'd work really well in CS:GO, however, there are many things that should be addressed. 

Personally, I feel the server owner or admins should be playing on their server(s). If the server is popular enough to have people adding the server to their favorites, if the server crashes, it will probably get at least one player back into the server via the favorites tab. Otherwise, admins and above should join the server after the server crash. Though, this is just my opinion.

Well, for servers that typically don't have a lot of people on them (GMod Deathrun) it's not always likely for the owner to be online. When I was tired of purge I'd always go onto another server like deathrun, H&S, or prop hunt. Typically these servers had 0 players and when I'd join someone else would join and then randoms would begin to fill the server. At times, Maskiee and I would get on and end up with 20+ players just from us joining. With that said, more popular GMod servers, like SuperiorServers DarkRP, are abusing the server browser rating feature by adding AFK accounts to increase their rating. As you can see below, they only have around 84 players in the server while the browser says they have 116. While I was on the server it went from 70-90 pretty sporadically.

ffd000a495aec0dc7bc552d9c75aa847.png

bd8f88459bfd98be556190041c106266.png 

My fear is that something like this will happen in CS:GO. Valve clearly doesn't seem to be taking any action on these servers and I foresee the same in CS:GO.

The game going F2P has made me more motivated because it can result in more new players to our servers. However, I really don't think it will help much unless if the server browser gets cleaned up. If the server browser got cleaned up, I truthfully believe community servers would see a spark in population

I 100% agree with this, the new update (should) increase community server population. Mainly because these new players wouldn't start off with prime matchmaking and may look to community servers as an alternative. Not many people get on CS:GO and go into a casual match to warm up. Many go into 128-tick community servers instead. With this new battle royale I see a lot of potential for (hopefully) 64 or 32 player servers. If they don't release an official version I'm sure someone can make a mod for it. As you mentioned in your video the browser is hidden and I personally don't see any reason why it shouldn't be added to the main menu or more clearly in the 'Play' section.

I really hope your emails and Reddit posts are noticed by Valve and spark a change in the community side of CS:GO. 

Edited by Skittlez

Posted  Edited by rapperdan - Edit Reason: had to use spoiler embed things where making stuff to big :L · Hidden
Hidden
On 12/9/2018 at 4:07 PM, Skittlez said:

Our 1v1 server does not have GFL as a tag so it would make sense as to why that server wouldn't show up. However, minigames does have the tag and still doesn't show up:

it has the brackets needed now so it should show up <3 thanks for saying something where I never did

we could use a flashy server name ★ /s

the tags and name should be updated thanks @virusking <3

new tag should be as followed new name [GFLClan.com] 1v1 Arena 128 tick |!WS|!KNIFE|!GLOVES along with adding the tags that needed to be added as there was well none.

anyways it's a pinging issue because well that tag is there and has been for awhile

as shown here

anyways if you search 1v1 it shows up so have this I suppose

a few ideas given by the one and only @skell my boi <3

also idk if this may help at all for later expansions but this is what one of our players for 1v1's favorites looks like

j7u74o.jpg

and to avoid any possible confusion I will show how the if you have already pinged the server you using 1v1 as the search you could condense your filter and type gfl from there it will pop up as shown

anyways should have the name of the community in the front :L

[GFLClan] 1v1 Arena | Dallas | 128 tick

[GFL] 1v1 Arena | Dallas | 128 tick

after taking a breif shower and staying fresh I believe this option might be the best.

[GFL] 1v1 Arena | Dallas | 128 tick | ws | f2p

the idea is putting the free to play at the end to avoid anyone who bought the game and is gonna start cheating from the gecko while obtaining the word of mouth aspect that we have a free to play server and ws inbefore that and all these are based off of priority of importance maybe switch up the 128 tick and Dallas but other then that should be gucci

the concept behind this is to get the csgo to filter things and see what get's cut off at a point as I do believe something is getting cut by the search engine it's self seeing as how the gflclan thing is not getting flagged.

Edited by rapperdan
had to use spoiler embed things where making stuff to big :L

Achievements

• Guest unpinned this topic