Fafy

[Tutorial] The basics of Lua

This is a really good tutorial, you've basically re-taught me in like 10 minutes what my computer science teacher has taught us in 4 months only this is in Lua and not Pseudo code or visual basics. I'll be sure to hand this over to anyone who wants to learn Lua.

Great job! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Achievements

Very awesome work so far! ? I love the learn-by-examples(/doing) approach.

I can think of two things that I would like to see added/changed in the tutorial:

• How to get the length of a table
  • Very nitpick: userdata is not handled by GMOD explicitly. It is a part of the Lua standard (which I assume is what you mean). It differs from tables by using low-level C data structures, which means it uses less memory than its table alternative. However, most of the time tables should definitely be favored unless you cannot avoid userdata (e.g. GMOD's GUI elements heavily rely on userdata).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nick said:

Very awesome work so far! ? I love the learn-by-examples(/doing) approach.

I can think of two things that I would like to see added/changed in the tutorial:

• How to get the length of a table
  • Very nitpick: userdata is not handled by GMOD explicitly. It is a part of the Lua standard (which I assume is what you mean). It differs from tables by using low-level C data structures, which means it uses less memory than its table alternative. However, most of the time tables should definitely be favored unless you cannot avoid userdata (e.g. GMOD's GUI elements heavily rely on userdata).

I updated the post, thanks!