FireStarter

Disable "E" pick-up

What do you, guys, think about disabling "E" pick-up?

Currently the "Use" ("E" by default) key serves two purposes: both to use and pick up items. You can pick up an item by using "E" pick-up from a slightly higher distance than just by running into it. So some people are quite often spamming "E" key to pick up an item ahead of others. As a result they not only pick up the item, but immediately use it: at a wrong time in a wrong place, which causes a lot of negative emotions/drama among players.

I propose to disable "E" pick-up, and leave only one purpose for "E" key – to use an item. This will solve the item misuse problem and allow to avoid unnecessary drama.

This shouldn't hurt the competition for picking up items, on the contrary I think that it will make competition even higher (more skill based). The movement speed advantage will not be affected: it'll still be first come, first served. But unlike spamming "E" key, spamming "G" key (the default for dropping an item/weapon) is not an attractive option, because you can lose the item immediately after picking it up. Dropping your weapon beforehand is not a good option either, because chances are that you will pick up your competitor's weapon when he drops it instead of the item. So it will be a competition for getting to the right place first and pressing "G" at the right time once.

i dont make plugins but idk if thats possible since E is just the 'Use' button, so its meant to 'use' a gun in the map by picking it up and 'use' a button (on an item) by pressing it.

Even if it were possible, i dont know if its necessarily the best idea to disable E-picking in general tbh Lol

An alternative that should work is that if an item uses targetnames you could stripper a delay on the output that gives the targetname to the player that picks up the weapon so if they E spam they wont actually be able to trigger the item till a second or 2 after Lul

1 hour ago, Onahole said:

i dont make plugins but idk if thats possible since E is just the 'Use' button, so its meant to 'use' a gun in the map by picking it up and 'use' a button (on an item) by pressing it.

Even if it were possible, i dont know if its necessarily the best idea to disable E-picking in general tbh Lol

An alternative that should work is that if an item uses targetnames you could stripper a delay on the output that gives the targetname to the player that picks up the weapon so if they E spam they wont actually be able to trigger the item till a second or 2 after Lul

I think it is, im pretty sure its like that on another server

Chill Water Fall.gif

5 hours ago, Onahole said:

it is, there are downsides to it like making it harder to get items you need to climb to reach

e picking guarantees that whoever gets the item is better at the game regardless - its not like some braindead noob is gonna be bhopping at the front of the pack

7 hours ago, FireStarter said:

As a result they not only pick up the item, but immediately use it: at a wrong time in a wrong place, which causes a lot of negative emotions/drama among players.

not common enough to be a real issue

This will solve the item misuse problem and allow to avoid unnecessary drama.

it also won't solve any drama cause there is no drama surrounding it - i cant remember a single serious dispute stemming from e picking after 3-4 years of ze 

I think that it will make competition even higher (more skill based)

who cares

summary - the "issues" you detail as reasons for your proposed idea are not serious or relevant

Delete this trash thread OwO

I agree, being able to pick up guns with +use ruins my zombie escape experience. Disabling It will make nigger tossing easier for me on Westersand since nobody is able to beat me and nobody knows that I am restricted so they think I'm just afk on holy and then they run up and try to grap it and then I YEET my pistols the second they drop theirs infront of holy and they jump off without holy AHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH but when they +use to pick it up they get holy and it's not fun.

why dont you just start using E to pick up the items too? 

also, i feel persecuted against because I use "Enter" as my Use bind... I play with Arrows and therefore being a minority I want special treatment and my movement speed should be set to 275 with knife out default. 

On 12/17/2018 at 1:26 PM, FireStarter said:

What do you, guys, think about disabling "E" pick-up?

Currently the "Use" ("E" by default) key serves two purposes: both to use and pick up items. You can pick up an item by using "E" pick-up from a slightly higher distance than just by running into it. So some people are quite often spamming "E" key to pick up an item ahead of others. As a result they not only pick up the item, but immediately use it: at a wrong time in a wrong place, which causes a lot of negative emotions/drama among players.

I propose to disable "E" pick-up, and leave only one purpose for "E" key – to use an item. This will solve the item misuse problem and allow to avoid unnecessary drama.

This shouldn't hurt the competition for picking up items, on the contrary I think that it will make competition even higher (more skill based). The movement speed advantage will not be affected: it'll still be first come, first served. But unlike spamming "E" key, spamming "G" key (the default for dropping an item/weapon) is not an attractive option, because you can lose the item immediately after picking it up. Dropping your weapon beforehand is not a good option either, because chances are that you will pick up your competitor's weapon when he drops it instead of the item. So it will be a competition for getting to the right place first and pressing "G" at the right time once.

This was exactly the case in CS:S and I thought it was a well balanced competition. I personally think E picking is open to more unnecessary item griefing. I don't know why this feature was added when the previous games, Source and 1.6, didn't have any problems in vanilla at all without E picking. Then again that feature was in there for years and Valve didn't bother to remove despite the complaints then. Fortunately, there sort of is a way around this (I'm speaking of Potti's item system used when porting Paramina Rift).

On 12/18/2018 at 2:42 AM, Onahole said:

Actually it is possible.

And once again, PSE has it.

93896602_p0.jpg