annoying furry

[Announcement] Shifting our Focus, new director, and more

Just now, Nick said:

Please elaborate.

The whole team merger debacle. It was a mess and frankly, in my opinion, the council didn't handle it very well. People were unhappy with the changes and this is them making an honest effort to try and shift focus towards something that the community is actually about (games), and will actually affect the most amount of people, rather than dumb internal changes and affect a very small amount of people.

STEAM 

76561198079961574.pngAddFriend.png

Posted  Edited by Kite9867

@Nick I can understand that. It was rush but honestly I think it's worth it. Especially with all the stupid shit and drama stirring around. Kinda glad that this went through even though it wasn't planned or discussed to us.

Edited by Kite9867

Average HL2RP Enjoyer.

Achievements

1 minute ago, Eli said:

The whole team merger debacle. It was a mess and frankly, in my opinion, the council didn't handle it very well. People were unhappy with the changes and this is them making an honest effort to try and shift focus towards something that the community is actually about (games), and will actually affect the most amount of people, rather than dumb internal changes and affect a very small amount of people.

This doesn't change the fact that the changes came out of nowhere. We had been discussing internally, and at no point did the Directors indicate something was going to happen about "hierarchy issues". No matter how welcome changes are, I still expect the to be documented. You can have very good intentions with your idea, but not realize liabilities until other people gets their eyes on the ideas.  There is more to this story, but it is honestly a tiring tale.

Wanna know what I am up to? Take a look at my personal Trello board or my cards on the Development Trello board!

1 minute ago, Nick said:

This doesn't change the fact that the changes came out of nowhere. We had been discussing internally, and at no point did the Directors indicate something was going to happen about "hierarchy issues". No matter how welcome changes are, I still expect the to be documented. You can have very good intentions with your idea, but not realize liabilities until other people gets their eyes on the ideas.  There is more to this story, but it is honestly a tiring tale.

Personally, I think this is a good change, BUT only if they actually do what they say they're gonna do. Until then we wont know 

STEAM 

76561198079961574.pngAddFriend.png

But will Fortnite be removed from the banner tho???

:neckbeard:

Anyways, good to see things move in the right direction again. I just hope that everyone is okay with this abrupt change.

֍ Trigger ֍

giphy.gif.b962afb65eeb4c051830d11c68ee16c0.gif

Achievements

I'm just going to say that I think some people are against the teams (event, PR, MA, and media) being merged, but for the most part everyone in the teams themselves are happy with the changes since it allows for more communication which is necessary for the teams to function. 

And while the kick was very abrupt. I think that that's fine. In the end, it should help keep the team focused on their projects since A LOT of time was lost going in circles about changes affecting GFL when that's not our main focus. 

Also, I need to rename either PR Team or Public Relations lol.

I think most of the team agrees with my statements. 

Also, if anyone is wondering. The PR Team is not going to be touched by any of these changes except for maybe a name change. 

"Be good people"

Posted  Edited by Block

"We have decided to remove Team Members (except Block, we like him)  from the staff discord."

I believe there was a mistake :kappa:

Edited by Block

Posted  Edited by strawberry crab

Well, shit Im late to this post 

anyway I think we could potentially benefit from this change imo.

Edited by strawberry crab

space.png

On 1/18/2019 at 9:26 PM, Ralsei said:

It has become clear to us that we have become increasingly focused on our teams and the council rather than the servers.

I'm happy that everyone realized that. I think you guys made the best decision possible for the servers. 

(Private: k2nod) Russell Crowe: are you using hyperscrolll

Achievements

I cannot even keep track of how many times we have removed the equivalent Council position, and it has failed every time with the equivalent Directors burning out only a few months down the road.  What conditions have changed that suggest that it might work this time?  I am very doubtful, and the approach was distasteful and haste.  Burned out Directors do not do a good job focusing on the servers; you are staging yourself for another failure.

We keep picking people for these staff positions who - as I described more modestly in the promotion announcement - can whisper into your ears for a week or two and write an if statement in python.  You've got to stop picking these people, and you've got to bridge the gap between your low tiered teams and the Director position.  What's going to happen is the same as always: You will not be able to find good candidates to fill in these shoes and you will be super dependent on your wonderful Director team...  You already have a hard enough time getting Division Leaders, and they are likely your "next" Directors should that even stay around.  BAD NEWS: These are real people.  They have lives.  They have things to do, and they will get tired of working with little kids who cannot handle bad news from time to time, and they will step down.  They wont want to make difficult decisions, and that's what you guys always go with (the easy, quick, and bad decision).  You will fail and chase your tails every time wondering why you are disappointed again. 

Consolidation is a good idea and I definitely support it, but you're cutting in the wrong places again.

Take a look at this, which I got from this thread.  I certainly had a good laugh when I saw Council Reboot back in 2016, and I've seen many other flavours of Council 2.0s and Community Advisors.  You don't need to be rocket scientists to make a good guess on our "changed direction."  Have minutes of fun browsing through that web-archive if you're curious to see what's next...  it has all happened before, it has happened so many times.

DXcydA6.jpg

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152