willywilson

Freedom of Speech and Racism

Posted  Edited by rapperdan

I'm gonna get straight to the point short and sweet no extra nonsense the audience of each and every server is different each and every server has a different culture and what is acceptable there, there is no ban all or allow all global shit because it's stupid and the players of the server it's self and what is acceptable per server is what matters if streamers are well something you wish to target then the n word can not be allowed loco has some great points and most of it is what is well acceptable that is all it really is.

wanting sponser ship or targeting streamers the n word can not be allowed more then a few servers do just that while more then a few servers also allow it for example css ze would cease to exist if the n word would not be allowed and on csgo it is the complete opposite there will never be a ban all simply because it will never work.

Edited by rapperdan

Achievements

17 minutes ago, JGuary551 said:

I say we  either we put in all sever rules the list of "racism" words we cant say so ban all of them (mute/gag) or we dont mute/gag for it we shouldnt do an in between some servers allow it but some servers dont some "racism" words we allow some dont we need to come to a conclusion for it 

Or you can use common knowledge of which racist terms are derogatory and mute/gag off that.

Former Gmod Prop Hunt Admin

Former Media Team Team Leader

Former Media Team GFX Member

3 hours ago, alpha_steven said:

That's exactly I've been already told them

image.png.14e5b6425e3fe3a7fb591ce7eff8ff8f.png

Standard definition of racism in America*

The word literally just means black and it's derivatives are used in several languages to this day, only Americans have the negative connotations of the word because they have to ruin anything

1 hour ago, Saint-Tab said:

We have people of colors that play on the server.

Like one or two, literally never encountered one before, we also have other ethnicities who have racial slurs thrown at them but it goes ignored.

1 hour ago, TheSadBandit said:

If you really think it has no meaning I dare you to walk up to a group of black people and say it.

Sure, I'm not American so the word carries different connotations, the word is literally just another word for black.

36 minutes ago, Major_Push said:

Also, people saying ching chong aren't being very offensive since that's such an absurd stereotype that it's almost impossible to take seriously. 

It's not an insult because it's absurd? It's not absurd at all and that doesn't make it not an insult, what about chink/gook/jap/nip, all of which I've seen used with no punishment.

30 minutes ago, Nah said:

Do you see public media boast about Asian racial term or Latin American racial term being bad much as N-word does?

No because those races don't whine about historical events like slavery as much.

Most Americans don't know this but Asians were also discriminated against by America, they were also lynched along with blacks, but only one group uses that to argue for the banning of a word.

1 minute ago, Malal said:

The word literally just means black and it's derivatives are used in several languages to this day, only Americans have the negative connotations of the word because they have to ruin anything

Yeah, you're right it does "only mean black" but it's the word white people used when referring to slaves and to freed slaves. It mainly meant "poor, black person, not worth anything, trash, etc." So, sure you could say that "nigger" (negro in spanish) isn't a bad word, but in American servers it'd be best if it was left out.

3 minutes ago, TheSadBandit said:

Yeah, you're right it does "only mean black" but it's the word white people used when referring to slaves and to freed slaves. It mainly meant "poor, black person, not worth anything, trash, etc." So, sure you could say that "nigger" (negro in spanish) isn't a bad word, but in American servers it'd be best if it was left out.

Sure and I said it's only offensive in America

3 minutes ago, Malal said:

Sure and I said it's only offensive in America

And I said, this is an American based community, so banning a word in this community such as that one seems perfectly fine, since most people are from America.

10 minutes ago, Malal said:

Like one or two, literally never encountered one before, we also have other ethnicities who have racial slurs thrown at them but it goes ignored.

Sure, I'm not American so the word carries different connotations, the word is literally just another word for black.

It's not an insult because it's absurd? It's not absurd at all and that doesn't make it not an insult, what about chink/gook/jap/nip, all of which I've seen used with no punishment.

No because those races don't whine about historical events like slavery as much.

Most Americans don't know this but Asians were also discriminated against by America, they were also lynched along with blacks, but only one group uses that to argue for the banning of a word.

In response to your response:

Ching-chong is something you'd expect a kid to say in elementary school. Only an idiot would use it as an insult. I'm not saying it should be allowed, but I understand why it goes under the radar. They should definitely get a warning and muted/gag if they persist. 

Anyway, words like chink are well known and definitely should be treated like the N-Word. It's not considered as taboo as it (even though it should be as you pointed out). Only reason I say it is since the C-Word is Cunt in most people's minds. Same goes for most racial slurs. 

I agree that all of them should be banned from usage on our servers. People might see it as oppressive, but I never got why people want to use them. The argument is always around "Why can't we use them" when that answer is obvious. 

Like, using a racial slur as an insult is just painfully obviously racist. Calling someone a specific race as an insult is racist at worst and edgy at best. There's no 2 ways about it. 

If it's a cultural thing like perhaps a European isn't aware that the N-word isn't just a word for black people then it's much better for everyone to just correct them and not use the word. Especially when they could just call people "black" to be safe. 

Also, people always throw the "desensitize" it argument around but that's just a shallow excuse. It's not a non-Black person's place to tell Black people that they shouldn't be offended by a word. That has to happen naturally or from within that community. Same goes for any other slur.

All of this to say, why can't people just be considerate and not use the word? It's not very hard. 

"Be good people"

Posted  Edited by rapperdan
44 minutes ago, Major_Push said:

Also, people always throw the "desensitize" it argument around but that's just a shallow excuse. It's not a non-Black person's place to tell Black people that they shouldn't be offended by a word. That has to happen naturally or from within that community. Same goes for any other slur.

I've never understood that one my self doing that just creates more dans there is a reason for my thick skin and it has nothing to do with my irl life and everything to do with GFL beating me up over the years and the need to simply over power anyone who is stopping me from helping others anyways the whole autistic shit will always matter to me but not showing my emotions to others so they are not effected by it then completely and utterly destroying someone because of what gfl has made me into anyways @Malal do you really want more dans running around who will make you question your very existance if you damage what they care about which is others? cmon dude no one wants more dans there is a cost to desensitizing people and the outcome is me do you really want to create more of that?

I mean I can deflect really any attack on me and make people question there place in GFL entirely I could make countless people out right quit GFL but I know the damages of it so it is something that I do not like it is why I am not a fan of demotions and a fan of working with others trying to retain something is more important then removing it but think about the damages if that is done to someone who is well selfish by nature and not selfless at heart which the later is something that is a lot harder to come by mind you so do you want someone who will seek the complete destruction of every thing that is well life because that is what desensitizing people does to most people I am a very small percentage of people the majority has very very bad outcomes when done.

anyways if I'm being honest here the only reason why I am saying this stuff and opening up at all is simply because I don't care about what I once cared for which always was GFL as I've lost hope and tbh if GFL destroys it's self in attempts to get at me I simply don't care but I can say it many times over that purge or what ever happened due to how damaging people truly where I'm sorry if I have gotten a little off track on this thread or what ever but that whole desensitizing shit kind of hit close to home and well I am not exactly actively tending to what I cared for simply because ik it can be better else where anyways it always will be about the community and the playerbase and tbh I'm kind of annoyed with many who are actively trying to change ze when there was a reason why I never touched it or any ideas I had where implemented on it if something works it works you don't fix what is not broken because that very fix may be the thing that will destroy what many care about.

TL:DR try your best to keep to your servers and not harp over things that are actively doing well indirectly taking it all down and dismantling it all if something works why change things?

Edited by rapperdan

Achievements

Posted  Edited by vochihieu93

The definition of racism in gfl is n word,  that's all.  I have seen a person who says "death for all Jews", he confidently says it's not racism or discrimination , he said that sentence no less than 5 times, an administrator was present at the time and he did not care. The definition of racism or discrimination of gfl is hypocritical

Edited by vochihieu93

I agree with a lot of you.

We should be more strict when it comes to racism. Which really is the only take away from this other than we should allow more racism because we already allow some. Which seems to be the two wrongs make a right approach to things.

Or am I mistaken? 

"Be good people"

Posted  Edited by k2nod

Great way to welcome new players. "Here at GFL we now allow the use of racial slurs as long as it's not pointed at someone" smh pathetic. This whole thread is just plain stupid. Doesn't matter if this actually gets accepted, if you say that on my server I'll ban you.

Edited by k2nod

(Private: k2nod) Russell Crowe: are you using hyperscrolll

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Citizen

I read a facebook post by a dota 2 personality years back and I think it articulates what I want to say better than I could do so myself. Plus I'm too fucking lazy to type shit myself so here it is.

something_i_learned_by_john_117sp_dbdmn5

Edited by Citizen

I'm backk.

3 hours ago, Saint-Tab said:

There might be a reason for that.

PS: "one or two" is enough. 

Capture.PNG

Oh right because I don't have 3k hours on the server it means my opinion is invalid, sorry I'll make sure to spend 3k hours on GFL before giving my opinion.

3 hours ago, Major_Push said:

but I never got why people want to use them

because they can be fun to say

It's not a non-Black person's place to tell Black people that they shouldn't be offended by a word

Yeah instead it's a white person's place to ban the use of the word,

All of this to say, why can't people just be considerate and not use the word? It's not very hard. 

It's not hard to use the Self muting commands the game/server provides and to ignore someone saying the word too and it is actually quite hard to kill a habit, if you have ever cursed when you died/got angry it is the same as that.

1 hour ago, Major_Push said:

Which seems to be the two wrongs make a right approach to things.

The argument is selective enforcement.

11 minutes ago, k2nod said:

Great way to welcome new players

?

What does allowing a word to be used have to do with welcoming new players, we aren't going to say "HELLO NIGGER" to every new player who joins

7 hours ago, WarpedCakez said:

I feel like this rule is so hypocritical because so many regulars and admins use slurs in discord and expect to be a different person when they enter the server, when in reality it should be the same. If you are so concerned that mic spammers will ruin the server, then punish those who spam. People should be able to say whatever they want to on the server with the exception of spamming to be obnoxious.

Do you know if valve has a rule for community servers where servers have to conform to certain standards (e.g. no racism)? That might be a thing.

I'm backk.

36 minutes ago, Citizen said:

I read a facebook post by a dota 2 personality years back and I think it articulates what I want to say better than I could do so myself. Plus I'm too fucking lazy to type shit myself so here it is.

Dude wot the heck is your freaking position on things? First you get triggered by things like micspam and you want more regulation to stop it. Next you say people should just ignore racism and just not have people react to it. Now ya want to valve to regulate shit to stop racism. No seriously I am legitly curious as to where you actually stand on this.

3 minutes ago, gkuo88 said:

First you get triggered by things like micspam and you want more regulation to stop it. Next you say people should just ignore racism and just not have people react to it.

Micspam is much more obnoxious than "racism". Racism has many different contexts, but micspam is just pure noise.

3 minutes ago, gkuo88 said:

Now ya want to valve to regulate shit to stop racism.

Read my quote again.

48 minutes ago, Citizen said:

Do you know if valve has a rule for community servers where servers have to conform to certain standards (e.g. no racism)? That might be a thing.

Stop putting words into my mouth.

Edited by Citizen

I'm backk.

Alrite, so no to micspamming, but yes to racism, only because it's easy to ignore. Though I got no idea why ya be looking into if valve has a rule for community servers where servers have to conform to certain standards like no racism. (They probably dont)

6 minutes ago, gkuo88 said:

but yes to racism, only because it's easy to ignore.

Well that is how I personally feel, and not everyone is going to agree with me, and that's fine. I don't expect everyone to. Though if you want to be a twat and name yourself something like "GAS ALL THE JEWS" then I'm ofc gonna have less sympathy for you if you get punished.

6 minutes ago, gkuo88 said:

Though I got no idea why ya be looking into if valve has a rule for community servers where servers have to conform to certain standards like no racism. (They probably dont)

Because warpedcakez brought up the disparity between "light" racism allowed on discord yet no racism in-game.

Because if valve does have standards, then said standards should always supersede every GFL server on csgo.

Edited by Citizen

I'm backk.

Ah that explains it, thanks. But ya, I doubt valve or discord have the capability to monitor all that stuff to begin with. They probably end up getting thousands of reports a day over something minor.