Harakoni

New Moderation application

What is your TeamSpeak username and Discord ID? Koni#3459

Which platforms are you applying for?

All GFL Official Discords

How would you describe your activity there?

Firstly on official, i'm very active being in chat near all day when i can be, i also hold the 4th highest message score in the server (according to the Tatsumaki message score rankings. I'm also active in the Gmod discord - although not as much as official, due to the chats being slightly less active than official. Within the expanded division, due to its low message count, i pretty much always check and read to see what's going on.

Why are you interested in becoming a Moderator?

Well, i want to help out with issues in chats and make sure things don't go pear-shaped or are misinterpreted and handled incorrectly. In addition, i am a friendly and welcome face to anyone who regularly, or sparsely visits the chat at the moment - and i have no quarrels or disagreements with any member. I also seek to make sure chat is accessible and usable by everyone, which comes at the behest of my complaints, that many people have seen, about chat being uninteresting or dull in comparison to what it was like late 2018. Not to point fingers because that fucked me up the last time, but emote spam, gibberish nonsensical messages and unneeded shitposts really don't add any benefit to the chat - it more so makes it less inviting. In fact, looking at the amount of people talking in chat from last year, a considerable number of regulars and sparse visitors now don't frequent as much. Some have even admitted it's due to the lackluster appearance and interest of the general chats.
For added information, if you didn't know for some reason, I was a moderator before - for around 6 months, and then the Forum Mod Team leader for around a little less than half a month (resignation post can be found here: https://gflclan.com/forums/topic/34725-big-fan-of-not-being-a-fan-to-be-brutally-honest/ )
As well as this, if you haven't read my previous moderation app from mid-last year, I have a hefty amount of experience in Discord related moderation and communication. From being one of 4 co-managers of a server for three months, in addition to a mod for one month, that was, at one point, 2-3 times the size of GFL official, to smaller more friendly servers numbering from 100 - 500. All in all i believe this balance of experience contributes to a well rounded opinion about moderation and how it relates to peoples needs and actions.

How would you typically go about handling a conflict between two users?

Personally, I would ask them both kindly to stop, usually one or two times as a form of verbal warning - if this was ignored, i would proceed to mute them for the allotted time, and warn them using the moderation bots. If they again continued or directed attention to other people and myself i would again verbally warn them; and if again ignored, follow the continued procedure.
I myself am very lenient in my choices of moderation - hence the verbal between each step, but i have come to find this is a more friendly and workable approach than that of outright administering a mute.

Have you ever been warned or muted? If so, explain what happened.

A year ago a sparring match between me and a now banned Discord user resulted in a small 5 minute mute.
Oh, and a few joke mutes from higher mods from time to time.

Moderators, please +1 or -1 this application with an explanation for your vote.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • OMEGALUL 3

+1.

Highly capable. I keep up with Harakoni privately and despite past tussles with the team I know that now he would be a great addition.

Edited by Liloz01

Neutral for now. I've seen you do good and I've seen you do bad (well not always bad, but definitely not good). I'd like to think that we can work together again on the mod team but for right now I don't want to vote either way. Make me give you that +1.

Edited by motorsteak
clarity
  • Thanks 1

I am going to preface a couple of things before getting into the explanation.

- I understand that Liloz said in your other mod application that you may apply at a later date. 

- This is not biased. I quite like you as a person and I love to joke around with you.

- I will be referencing your previous mod application only because you have done so as well. I would not normally hold someone to their previous application information.

Ok! Let's go on, then. I'm going to go through this app point by point, and then we'll get to the other points.

You claim that the beginning of 2019, compared to the end of 2018, is slow and pushing users away. (Nonsensical spam, emotes)

526ffcbe951d607dc8fce2ffee30e719.png     You post these copypastas quite frequently. 

During the end of the year, many of our underage users (still in school), are free to frequent the discord and play games. Even our servers have experienced a dip in population due to this. With exciting re-openings of a few key servers, we'll return to the average.

You also claim that people have said the chat is lackluster. As opposed to the end of 2018, with extreme nitro gif emote spam, I can agree with this. When discord gives away free nitro again, the people will have their chat back! 

The reason your previous app got denied was not because you @ people. One of the reasons it got denied was because you used it as a soap box to express your qualms against the members of the mod team., and GFL as a whole. You then received leaks from a person who I will also not name, and created another post.

I believe I've gotten all the points I wished to talk about in your app. Let's move on to my other reasons.

I believe you are a bit hot headed when it comes to things you dislike, and things you fight for. This isn't a bad trait to have, but when being a moderator of the people, you're going to receive some backlash. You got one whiff of our chat and decided the best course of action was to make a public forum post. Are our members supposed to be wary of this ever happening to them? You even re-tagged that post in this application, showing that you find no fault in your actions. Please re-assess this.

Your recent stance on the discord has been to push the rules as much as you can, and incite pseudo mini revolutions against the mod team.

I like you as a person, Koni. I really do. We laugh and joke on discord a lot. But I just dont think that you fit in well as someone who represents structure and order. 

Thanks for reading. 

Love, Amelie

• Haha 1
  • Winner 1

You're a great friend, but in a professional stance

When you were mod every time conflict rose, you turned it into a full mod chat dispute when it could've been a simple warn, fill report, done. Shit never got done. 

When you got TL, you resigned for reasons that honestly would contradict why you're applying again (this is the third time youve tried to get mod back, why keep leaving and coming back anyway?)

You just cause too many issues that makes mods pull their hair out, similar to queue and his antics that I cannot +1 without giving in to bias. 

Achievements

So apparently i've been told that i have to respond to ensure i'm still interested - 
I'll try not to turn this into a "drama fest" as my last app was called. No pointing fingers just straight responses.

On 2/24/2019 at 1:04 AM, Amelie said:

You claim that the beginning of 2019, compared to the end of 2018, is slow and pushing users away. (Nonsensical spam, emotes)

526ffcbe951d607dc8fce2ffee30e719.png     You post these copypastas quite frequently. 

When i referred to nonsensical spam, i meant those that have no relation to the conversation and were merely just verbal shitposts constantly during the middle of conversations. Those you have showed above aren't copy pastas, they are in fact off the tongue whims related to each and every conversation. Very, very little of what i say does not relate to the conversation in any way.
- this is where my gripes lay but have now however passed as the spam has receded.

During the end of the year, many of our underage users (still in school), are free to frequent the discord and play games. Even our servers have experienced a dip in population due to this. With exciting re-openings of a few key servers, we'll return to the average.
You also claim that people have said the chat is lackluster. As opposed to the end of 2018, with extreme nitro gif emote spam, I can agree with this. When discord gives away free nitro again, the people will have their chat back! 

As much as this has some sense, i'm afraid i have to disagree. There have been many people joining but never talking, and of those many, a considerable number leave - of course, i can't assume their reasons for this, but it can be positively assumed it's the low active state compared to last year and the (now resolved) lack of intelligible conversations.
As much as the new servers have brought in new people, it has not been to official - most don't even know of its existence and often stay in smaller one-server oriented discords, such as Prop Hunt and my own server, Hide and Seek. The claim it would return to average has, unfortunately, not seen fruition.

I believe you are a bit hot headed when it comes to things you dislike, and things you fight for. This isn't a bad trait to have, but when being a moderator of the people, you're going to receive some backlash. You got one whiff of our chat and decided the best course of action was to make a public forum post. Are our members supposed to be wary of this ever happening to them? You even re-tagged that post in this application, showing that you find no fault in your actions. Please re-assess this.

Your recent stance on the discord has been to push the rules as much as you can, and incite pseudo mini revolutions against the mod team.

I like you as a person, Koni. I really do. We laugh and joke on discord a lot. But I just dont think that you fit in well as someone who represents structure and order. 

Thanks for reading. 

Love, Amelie

I'm afraid the hot headedness hasn't really been a past issue in any sense. I do fight passionately for what i believe in, that being of course making sure the discord is as enjoyable as possible (where my challenging of the rules and how people are punished has come into play). From the time i became moderator last year up to my resignation, the only issue i had really had was with a particular TL who was attempting to warp rules into his personal favor against people in chat, including me. However, nearly every time i challenged this i would come out in the right, because i don't believe i should sit down and lay over when i'm told to. It's not a style i have lived and can live by, and so far it's done me little harm.
I'm unsure personally where the stance that i push rules has come from. I am careful and ensure i follow the rules of the discord, even in somewhat challenging moments. If you would like to provide me proof in a personal message, that would be ideal for me to look and understand where this has occurred. (Same goes for Wigglesworth's comments on my haphazardness around causing issues).
Often confining oneself to the order with no lenience is quite a bad thing, considering that many users were unfairly punished in the time i was mod, which is why i challenged many, many decisions and why they were ultimately dropped as they were not just towards users. I mean, if i survived 7 months doing this, surely i can't have been wrong in my actions?

On 3/7/2019 at 6:21 PM, WigglesWorth said:

When you were mod every time conflict rose, you turned it into a full mod chat dispute when it could've been a simple warn, fill report, done. Shit never got done. 

When you got TL, you resigned for reasons that honestly would contradict why you're applying again (this is the third time youve tried to get mod back, why keep leaving and coming back anyway?)

You just cause too many issues that makes mods pull their hair out, similar to queue and his antics that I cannot +1 without giving in to bias. 

I always challenged things i saw as wrong back in 2018, which was quite a majority of the scenarios this arose. The idea that the moderators personal feelings took priority of the people in chat subject to it quite annoyed me, which is why i challenged a LOT of things to make sure they were both just and fair. 
It's also why things "Never got done" - because my challenging often removed the need for things being done, or situations were heavily re-evaluated - One of the cases even became my makeshift title: "Criticism is not Harassment"
I've stated before, quite a numerous amount of times lol, that my resignation was NOT moderation related. It was in fact a protest of the statement Roy made about banning every "toxic" person, the whole thing's still quoted in the post as well if you want to look at it. I found it unacceptable and refused to bear this absurd responsibility - that to me, was going to come about. Thankfully, of course, it didn't. So you could actually argue my resignation was for nothing in the end lmao.
I also have never left, i'm in the chat near every day, and am HIGHLY active. If i wasn't, i wouldn't still be number 4 in activity - and my determination in echo of this pushes me forward to become what i loved to do, help the users of the chat and moderate in a fair and sensible fashion.

There is a personal gripe, the only one, that i have with all of this; and it's my "death by association" by being friends with Queue. Queue does not represent me, i do not represent Queue. I have my own ideals and actions i would wish to carry out in chats, whereas Queue has his own. If you were to look at us in a comparative way, we differ greatly in our stances on moderation, rules, and the mods themselves - so much so you might find it hard to believe we often fight for the same things but for different causes. I'd prefer if this label were dropped, if it's too much to ask.

Oh and to add i am still interested lol :lenny:

• Winner 1
  • Late 1

for the context of this reply anything considered lewd will be considered minor NSFW and this isn't about the distinction between the two 

Earlier today in discord, someone posted that gif of Katy Perry holding the monkey. You demanded it be removed on the grounds that it was minor NSFW. You went out of your way and messaged a mod about it saying it should be removed. You didn't just tag a mod and ask for it to be removed.

Just to get some stuff out of the way before I get to the next part of what i'm saying

-I do not care who posted the gif in case that was your motivation for demanding it be removed
-I do not care that the gif was posted in general instead of off topic or memes
-All i care about is that your problem was the gif could be or is interpreted as NSFW (no difference between "major" NSFW or "minor" NSFW here, just that something is or isn't)

You complained  about the "no lewds" rule on grounds that it's an inconvenience. With some of the stuff I have seen others post in anime, if your goal was to truly prevent NSFW then why didn't you say anything about those other instances? You see others post stuff there and then meme about how mods are gonna drop the hammer on them and they are arguably just as bad or worse than the Katy Perry gif (they may not show as much but they definitely imply sexual things).

The question I am asking is, what's the discrepancy? Do you not count anime things as NSFW? Do you think that only something that shows actual people can be NSFW? 
Please explain why you thought the katy perry gif needed removed but not some of the other stuff that gets posted, especially in anime?

My vote is still neutral at the time of me posting this.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 3/13/2019 at 12:29 AM, motorsteak said:

for the context of this reply anything considered lewd will be considered minor NSFW and this isn't about the distinction between the two 

Earlier today in discord, someone posted that gif of Katy Perry holding the monkey. You demanded it be removed on the grounds that it was minor NSFW. You went out of your way and messaged a mod about it saying it should be removed. You didn't just tag a mod and ask for it to be removed.

Just to get some stuff out of the way before I get to the next part of what i'm saying

-I do not care who posted the gif in case that was your motivation for demanding it be removed
-I do not care that the gif was posted in general instead of off topic or memes
-All i care about is that your problem was the gif could be or is interpreted as NSFW (no difference between "major" NSFW or "minor" NSFW here, just that something is or isn't)

You complained  about the "no lewds" rule on grounds that it's an inconvenience. With some of the stuff I have seen others post in anime, if your goal was to truly prevent NSFW then why didn't you say anything about those other instances? You see others post stuff there and then meme about how mods are gonna drop the hammer on them and they are arguably just as bad or worse than the Katy Perry gif (they may not show as much but they definitely imply sexual things).

The question I am asking is, what's the discrepancy? Do you not count anime things as NSFW? Do you think that only something that shows actual people can be NSFW? 
Please explain why you thought the katy perry gif needed removed but not some of the other stuff that gets posted, especially in anime?

My vote is still neutral at the time of me posting this.

Well, firstly, can you provide proof of this quote "other instances" and how they are worse. If you'd like to recall, on Tuesday i did actually call in a mod, the only one actively online, to anime because people were posting lewd images, as i have done several times before with Soviet's posting of such content. I don't see what you're implying here; that i enact a bias towards anime images that you've deemed sexual or suggestive? Because i don't.
As i said before, i'm not queue, this stigma that i want lewd images allowed is false, to be blunt. I merely advocated beforehand that images containing subtle areas of skin or "suggestive" faces were not to be deleted. I never advocated for anything lewd to be allowed, i complained about the over-extension of what was lewd and what's not. Considering i haven't posted anything, in my opinion, that would warrant such an accusation of distinctly lewd since the middle of last year, i don't see where this idea comes from as I have not have i supported any form of this "lewd posting". 
In addition, my comments of "Moooods MOOOODS" or "Mods gonna deado you" for that are satirical in nature due to my previous experience of being hounded for posting an exposed shoulder or showing a slight embarrassed emotion on a face.

Secondly, to answer your question without this blabber - No, I make no distinction between lewd anime posts and lewd "ordinary" posts, if you believe i don't, please provide evidence of both.

Edited by Harakoni
  • Haha 1

Changing Vote to a +1

• Maturity has increased 
  • Toxicity Decreased

Good Luck On Your App.

• Like 1