Ben

General Political Discussion Thread

This is a revival thread, mostly for folks who like using the forums more than Discord - there is no point to revive the 2016 thread by replying. This area can be used for the debate, however, if too heated, Forum Moderators will step in to ask you nicely for going in DM.

There are the rules, report a post if it's going irrelevant or a person attacking:

• Don't go offtopic
  • Don't be a dick; e.g., attacking someone directly - even if it is in their opinion.
    • Additionally, refrain from this topic if you get offended.

This original post can be edited at any time to change the rules.

76561198043643390.png

48 minutes ago, Glenn_ said:

At school I got in trouble for calling a kid a Jewish Liberal

21 minutes ago, TheJitFace said:

The liberal kids in my school are annoying 

Such a political discussion we are having.

Average HL2RP Enjoyer.

Achievements

why hasn't anyone talked about the effect nuclear power could have on the "carbon free future" that everyone seems so desperate to attain?

20 minutes ago, motorsteak said:

why hasn't anyone talked about the effect nuclear power could have on the "carbon free future" that everyone seems so desperate to attain?

nuclear power plants scare the shit outta me

mainly due to the risk of a meltdown like Chernobyl spreading radiation everywhere and radiation sickness is scary 

jitticus

Just now, TheJitFace said:

nuclear power plants scare the shit outta me

mainly due to the risk of a meltdown like Chernobyl spreading radiation everywhere and radiation sickness is scary 

Nuclear power is completely safe as long as the various oversight organizations actually do their jobs and the system of checks and balances is maintained. Most of the major nuclear accidents people think of only happened or were made much worse because the people in control either cut corners or didn't follow proper standard operating procedure. I was actually going to school for nuclear engineering until some unrelated outside events IRL forced me to drop out of the program. The amount of design work that goes into a reactor to make sure it's safe is staggering and is actually a huge part of the program. I had 3 classes alone just talking about different types of reactors and their design. 

I won't deny that some of the things I learned about did scare me. Like what hard radiation does to a person, what happens when you get certain reactor byproducts in your body, or what happens when the reactor vessel over-pressures and pops like a soup can in a campfire. That being said, you can make anything sound scary if you talk about it in the right way and use certain statistics and buzzwords, but nuclear power is one of the safest forms of power generation there is once you consider the "number of lives per kW/hr" factor.

11 hours ago, Kite9867 said:

Such a political discussion we are having.

Shut up libtard.

71CFA5EE-923C-4740-ACF4-508B753C9AD7.png.92a0d40c0fa7773f71fea2453f581d16.png

(signature made by @Kaylode)

Previously known as Xy.

Twitter ❤️Ko-Fi ❤️Github

IMG_0248.jpg

ben_mixed_opinions.png

Would attempting to invest in fusion not be better? Some companies think we could have it by 2050 don't they? Don't trust me on this as I don't have any sources (can't remember articles that I read a few weeks ago).

“I was so good at being a kid, and so terrible at being whatever I was now.”
― John Green, Turtles All the Way Down

Achievements

See pic. :lenny:

Screenshot_2019-04-04-13-20-35.png

We all start out as idealists only to slowly but surely become realists one day, the likes of which we'd never imagine we would become. Meanwhile we stare back at new idealists and see a reflection of what we once were.

Facing reality to get through life.

:cockatiel: I drink birds alive and whole while petting them :cockatiel:

devolver_future_future_gif_by_digi_matri

21 hours ago, Ninja Chris said:

What are you opinions on Vietnamese war veterans? @Malal @gkuo88 @SSPigeonShit

I believe that Vietnamese war veterans are war criminals and should be tried and treated as such, the US had no reason to be involved in Vietnam and between the Vietnam famine (2 million victims), mass rape of Vietnamese women (50,000 victims) Democide by the US (186,000 victims) Tiger Force (1000 victims)  Phoenix Program (80,000 tortured, 40,000 killed)  Speedy Express (8,000 civilians killed) Agent Orange (400,000 victims, 500,000 birth defects) Napalm (80,000 victims) they killed over 3 million Vietnamese, thoughts @SSPigeonShit

Posted  Edited by Major_Push
10 hours ago, Duc2000 said:

Would attempting to invest in fusion not be better? Some companies think we could have it by 2050 don't they? Don't trust me on this as I don't have any sources (can't remember articles that I read a few weeks ago).

It all depends on the funding. Fusion reactors are not cheap since they have to be absolutely massive to get the reaction stable, iirc.

As a result, no one company will probably be able to make one. The R&D costs is incredibly large. I think the main group developing an actual large scale fusion reactor is ITER which is a group project by multiple nations similar to the ISS. It's pretty neat. The cost, however, is $20b and is taking decades to construct. ITER says it can be completed and operational by 2035 but that's almost definitely going to get setback as we get closer. lol. This really is one of those situations where the government (or governments in this case) should make something instead of private businesses. It's a terrible investment if you're a company since it's a $20 billion+ investment that you won't see profit on for almost half a century. You'd have to be insane to do that. Governments, however, can definitely bankroll it, and in the end the tech can then be replicated once complete and costs will dramatically go down once we know how to make a functional one.

But if it works, then it could be a boon to society. I definitely think it's worth investing money into even if we come up with better forms of energy. Fusion energy is far more efficient than any other form of energy, I believe and can help with shit like space travel. Plus, learning new shit in physics always benefits mankind if it's used properly. 

But yes. We *could* have one by 2050. All depends on how much money our governments want to invest. We could have had one by now probably if we had invested in the research back when it was proposed in the 80's. I blame energy lobbyists since fusion reactors don't have energy companies to lobby for them. :shrug:

I've seen this floated around a lot for some context:

LkKBNe1NW51Wh-8nLSTRdQtTha2sV1yY46vhUWcu

Edited by Major_Push

"Be good people"