TheJitFace

What is something you believe that hasn’t been proven by science?

What is something you believe that science hasn’t proven? 

(Examples: Aliens, time travel, ghosts)

*Religious explanations are good as well, but please no religious debates*

I do believe in many things such as aliens, ghosts, and stuff like that. Mathematically, aliens have to exist. We are in this giant universe, and I think there is more than one universe, but we can’t be alone in this massive area. We are not alone here.

I also believe in ghosts but I’ll make a separate thread for that in a couple days

I have a scientific theory that every action, every movement, and everything we do creates an alternate dimension where that action or thing doesn’t happen or is done differently for each scenario. It is crazy to think about, but time is probably one thing humans will never fully understand because it is so complex, that human minds are not capable of handling such knowledge. 

jitticus

Posted  Edited by Omid

I don't believe there is another life form in the universe that is as intelligent as humans but I do believe there are basic biotic creatures on some planets that haven't "evolved" to be sentient or remnants of lifeforms that were once sentient billions of light years ago but have since succumbed to the elements. I used to believe in ghosts when I was younger but as I grow older, I believe more in like "energy" than ghosts that can haunt people or places. According to the Law of Conservation of Energy, energy cannot be created nor destroyed and is transformed/transferred around. I feel like some places have negative energy (abandoned buildings, "haunted" places, etc.) and some places have positive energy, that energy bit also kinda goes into my everyday life with people I encounter too. People can possess negative or positive energy that can honestly be felt in encounters and just "auras" that can totally be a mood killer if you don't hold onto your positive energy. I also don't believe time travel is possible and if it is possible, we are only able to observe the past and have no impact on it. I believe every action ripples throughout an entire society and in turn, brings us to our modern day and influences what will happen in our futures. Because of this, I also believe in fate and destiny because it's hard to go forward not believing that things don't have a reason or purpose when I've had the most improbable experiences. 

Edited by Omid

┍━━—━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┑

spacer.png

┕━━—━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┙

Posted  Edited by TheJitFace
21 minutes ago, Omid said:

I don't believe there is another life form in the universe that is as intelligent as humans but I do believe there are basic biotic creatures on some planets that haven't "evolved" to be sentient or remnants of lifeforms that were once sentient billions of light years ago but have since succumbed to the elements. I used to believe in ghosts when I was younger but as I grow older, I believe more in like "energy" than ghosts that can haunt people or places. According to the Law of Conservation of Energy, energy cannot be created nor destroyed and is transformed/transferred around. I feel like some places have negative energy (abandoned buildings, "haunted" places, etc.) and some places have positive energy, that energy bit also kinda goes into my everyday life with people I encounter too. People can possess negative or positive energy that can honestly be felt in encounters and just "auras" that can totally be a mood killer if you don't hold onto your positive energy. I also don't believe time travel is possible and if it is possible, we are only able to observe the past and have no impact on it. I believe every action ripples throughout an entire society and in turn, brings us to our modern day and influences what will happen in our futures. Because of this, I also believe in fate and destiny because it's hard to go forward not believing that things don't have a reason or purpose when I've had the most improbable experiences. 

I also do believe in positive and negative energy and I have been in homes with energy that is so negative it feels like your compressed. Last year I was actually moving into another home that was bigger and better suited for my family. Some of the homes we visited were great, however, there were a few that were questionable. One house in particular we came close to purchasing and it was beautiful and had a backyard like a resort with a pool, but there was just something off about the home. The home just had a vibe that was really off putting and gives paranoia anywhere you go. Even in the far part of the backyard I was constantly looking at the homes windows as if there was someone watching us. We actually found out that the previous owner’s husband had died in the home and we pulled out the deal. I’m not sure if it was haunted exactly, but there was something wrong. Even my father thought the house was off, he believes in ghosts, but is skeptical with stories of people. We definitely dodged a bullet with that home. 

I do have a story about my uncles home that was extremely strange, but that one I will say when I make the next thread. 

Edited by TheJitFace

jitticus

1 minute ago, TheJitFace said:

I also do believe in positive and negative energy and I have been in homes with energy that is so negative it feels like your compressed. Last year I was actually moving into another home that was bigger and better suited for my family. Some of the homes we visited were great, however, there were a few that were questionable. One house in particular we came close to purchasing and it was beautiful and had a backyard like a resort with a pool, but there was just something off about the home. The home just had a vibe that was really off putting and gives paranoia anywhere you go. Even in the far part of the backyard I was constantly looking at the homes windows as if there was someone watching us. We actually found out that the previous owner’s husband had died in the home and we pulled out the deal. I’m not sure if it was haunted exactly, but there was something wrong. Even my father thought the house was off, he believes in ghosts, but is skeptical with stories of people. We definitely dodged a bullet with that home. 

Oh god, I sometimes wonder if the terrible vibes I've gotten off houses are because someone died in the house. The last house I house sat in for a month was beautiful, one of the most expensive homes I've ever been in and everything was just wonderful but it was in a semi-secluded rich area that was like hours away from home. It wasn't too bad because I was a big homebody at the time and just kept to myself plus was doing it with my partner at the time. I kept busy and did more than I usually did at my actual place but it was the most isolating feeling I've ever felt in a place. I grew homesick when I actually lived away from home at the time outside of that house sitting job and I was picking fights with people about the most ridiculous things. Something about that house completely fucked with me in that month I was there. I felt so uneasy at night too, like I couldn't go downstairs without my partner and he couldn't go without me either. Lights would just randomly go out, piping would mess up in bathrooms when there wasn't any problems beforehand, and it was just very eerie. 

┍━━—━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┑

spacer.png

┕━━—━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┙

Posted  Edited by TheJitFace
17 minutes ago, Omid said:

Oh god, I sometimes wonder if the terrible vibes I've gotten off houses are because someone died in the house. The last house I house sat in for a month was beautiful, one of the most expensive homes I've ever been in and everything was just wonderful but it was in a semi-secluded rich area that was like hours away from home. It wasn't too bad because I was a big homebody at the time and just kept to myself plus was doing it with my partner at the time. I kept busy and did more than I usually did at my actual place but it was the most isolating feeling I've ever felt in a place. I grew homesick when I actually lived away from home at the time outside of that house sitting job and I was picking fights with people about the most ridiculous things. Something about that house completely fucked with me in that month I was there. I felt so uneasy at night too, like I couldn't go downstairs without my partner and he couldn't go without me either. Lights would just randomly go out, piping would mess up in bathrooms when there wasn't any problems beforehand, and it was just very eerie. 

Negative energy from homes in general can change a person due to all the paranoia they experience, I am not a psychologist but I think that is true. If bad things happen within a home, they will happen to the next person that moves in and everyone else who moves in. Your home sitting story is actually pretty scary because the home may seem nice at first, but the negative energy changed you for a bit.

Edited by TheJitFace

jitticus

I believe in reincarnation and afterlife. I don't really believe in many thing such as ghosts and stuff, but I accept that there's probably life some other place in this universe. It'd be impossible not to as the universe is gigantic.

Science doesn't have answers for everything, nothing does. There's loads of theories about how we got here and how the universe was formed, but these are things humans have to accept we might never know.

I believe in magic as well. Not the kind of magic seen in movies, cartoons and so on but the magic that's done more subtly such as witchcraft.

original.gif

Achievements

I believe in ghosts or per say I call them spirits. Why? When I was a kid, my music teacher taught us that in this world there are 👻 who are either evil or good. They glow like a spirit or soul. Blue is good and red is bad... I think my teacher was high af but I mean, i do see things... Like I even talk to these things so I can be crazy... Anyway, I also believe in those scary incantation or whatever it's called. Like those things where legend say if you sit in the dark before midnight clocks and say some words, a ghost will appear. Something like that, I believe those are real. Some legends are actually true. I mean you have to be a true believer to work. You can't half-assed. But so those are really scary. I rather and hope I didn't believe it in since my hallucinations gets extremely worse 😭

pfs.gif.0454852536d8143a5e368e9f7a24a8a4.gif

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

I believe in there being a multiverse with septillion+ amount of different universes that could be only a tiny bit different 

Somewhat like a choices chart from a game i.e Detroit become human, only with more than septillion+ things that were different in the slightest

I also think that whatever you could think of "What if I had done this ____" that you actually did millions or billions of times in other realities. I say in other realities because of those choices are still part of those billions' of universes with just other major choices you thought of/done differently.

Also have a small belief of it being possible in the very far future to somehow crossover to another universe, don't know how nor can I come up with some bullshit explanation on why I think that, but I just do :)

and i also want to believe in reincarnation but another part of me is telling me that we die and everything just goes dark

Adonie Had To Do It To Em by InvalidQuestionBeanie Pup Finnick YCH by InvalidQuestion

Achievements

When it comes to aliens, mathematically speaking, it's very unlikely we're the only life in the known universe. I mean Mars alone, our closest planetary neighbor in our own solar system likely at one point harbored life (it's worth reading the theory that suggests life on Earth originated from Mars). The issue is that obviously the universe is massive and it takes quite a bit of time to explore (theoretically, it's not believe anything can move as fast or even come. close to travelling the speed of light, meaning it's actually impossible to explore the whole universe). I do think it is confirmed at some point that there is other life, but unless it's found on Mars or in our solar system, it won't happen in our lifetime or even in this millennium. As for what will be found, I have no clue. I think anything found on Mars, alive or fossilized, will resemble microbial life we'd find here on Earth, as the two planets were once somewhat quite similar. Outside of our solar system, just going by how different creatures look on Earth (compare say, an octopus and a moose), I imagine anything that would ever be found outside of our solar system would looking absolutely nothing like anything we have here and would be almost incomprehensible to us.

With ghosts, I'm a person of science and I see no verifiable reason to believe in their existence.

Time travel, at least time travel forward, is not only possible and proven but has been done, thanks mostly to time dilation. Time travel backwards, however is pretty impossible. While it can't be discredited as completely impossible, the science we currently know suggests it cannot be done.

As for what I believe, I think your consciousness in your brain, and by extension your brain itself, can live on indefinitely if properly cared for. Not to sound like some fucking philosopher but our bodies are fickle. I can't find the piece, but I remember a prominent scientist coming out a few years back and saying theoretically, no matter how great healthcare advances become and what strides we take, we'll either die of organ failure or cancer, and that immortality is impossible. I agree to an extent. Living from the moment you're born to the end of the universe (if it ends at all) is quite impossible. But living for 4,000, 5000, hell 6,000 years? That's not. Our bodies are incredibly fragile things that wear out. But I do believe we're coming to the point in the next few centuries with robotics and the ability to meld mind and machine that we'll be able to preserve and care for human brains and live on indefinitely, maybe even at some point getting new bodies and becoming something resembling cyborgs. I know it sounds crazy but the science is coming along. It has its limitations, but it's coming along.

2 hours ago, SSPigeonShit said:

Time travel, at least time travel forward, is not only possible and proven but has been done, thanks mostly to time dilation. Time travel backwards, however is pretty impossible. While it can't be discredited as completely impossible, the science we currently know suggests it cannot be done.

Are you familiar with the John Titor story? 

I think you would enjoy this video: 

jitticus

56 minutes ago, Syntax said:

There are no ghosts, gods, or any types of 'negative/positive' energy things. They can be/will be explained by science. 

I hope this doesn’t spark a religious debate.

jitticus

On 6/25/2019 at 11:03 PM, Syntax said:

There are no ghosts, gods, or any types of 'negative/positive' energy things. They can be/will be explained by science. 

Science doesn't explain things that don't exist because it doesn't work that way. If you're referring to people's perception of such things, there is no "can be" or "will be"; there are already explanations for those.

As for myself, I'm afraid I don't have an interesting answer to this thread since I don't believe in anything supernatural whatsoever.

Pt5iuHl.png

I won't take a photo—I'll tell it through words.

Achievements

On 6/26/2019 at 7:03 AM, Syntax said:

It's best to be a nihilist, it's the truest and most realistic way of seeing the world and how it is, and it's also usually only adopted by huge minds.

No idea why my post was hidden, but existential nihilism is stupid and you are not a "huge mind" for being 16 and thinking it's deep that life has no real value and meaning or significance

1 hour ago, Termagant said:

No idea why my post was hidden, but existential nihilism is stupid and you are not a "huge mind" for being 16 and thinking it's deep that life has no real value and meaning or significance

Elaborate

Achievements

1 hour ago, Syntax said:

Elaborate

Nihilism is a paradox, if life has no meaning you have no reason to continue it yet you continue to live, which in and of itself is a meaning, there is also the fact that you see no allegedly see no meaning or value in life yet continue to live, which is hypocritical.

To be a true nihilist you would have no beliefs, no loyalties or values, however I sincerely doubt you lack all 3 of these things, the only purpose of an actual nihilist would be to destroy, most likely himself.

I am assuming you have heard of Nietzsche, Nietzsche himself was not a Nihilist despite people mistakenly believing this.

Here his Nietzsche's thoughts on Nihilism, "A nihilist is a man who judges that the real world ought not to be, and that the world as it ought to be does not exist. According to this view, our existence (action, suffering, willing, feeling) has no meaning: this 'in vain' is the nihilists' pathos—an inconsistency on the part of the nihilists"

"I praise, I do not reproach, [nihilism's] arrival. I believe it is one of the greatest crises, a moment of the deepest self-reflection of humanity. Whether man recovers from it, whether he becomes master of this crisis, is a question of his strength. It is possible. . . ."

Nietzsche himself believed that Nihilism could lead to a collapse in civilization, but that after working through it humans could find a better meaning in life.

Nihilism itself was popularised by Ivan Turgenev his character Bazarov was a Nihilist, his Nihilism isn't portrayed as a good thing and neither is Bazarov, his cynicism prevents him from having a nice relationship and a happy life.

Nihilism became a political position in Imperial Russia in the Mid to late 1800s, Mikhael Bakunin  an anarchist leader said this "Let us put our trust in the eternal spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unsearchable and eternally creative source of all life--the passion for destruction is also a creative passion!"

The Anarchist movement deeply rooted into nihilist thought ended up destroying themselves through subversion and anarchy, that is what nihilism entails if their is no value to anything.

In Oswald Spengler's The Decline of the West he studied and found out that patterns of nihilist thought were the start of the collapse of many civilizations.

Many 20th century philosophers believed the Nihilism was the biggest threat of the time and will lead to the death and collapse of modern society.

There's also anti-natalism which is the biggest paradox and I can't get into detail here about it, but I would be happy to discuss that in private

9 hours ago, Termagant said:

I hid your post because it will cause controversy, so please don't say anything like that again. I am not trying to have people be aggressive and cause fights on my posts. 

jitticus