Roy

More Issues With Vultr's Dallas Location + BGP Changes

Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know about an issue along with a BGP routing change.

Vultr's Dallas Location Issue (Poor Routing)

This morning Vultr's Dallas location experienced poor routing once again. This resulted in our game servers (located in Dallas, TX) along with many of our clients (including myself) starting to route to Chicago instead of Dallas, TX. 

Here's a usage graph of our Dallas PoP:

555-07-03-2019-UBi0Wxp9.png

As you can see, there was a major drop in traffic.

I've opened up a ticket with Vultr regarding this and hoping they can look into this.

Since our game servers are routing to Chicago now instead of Dallas, TX. You will probably see a +20ms or more difference in ping.

BGP Routing Changes

I've decided to take this opportunity to make a change I've wanted to since this post. All of our America and Europe PoPs now only use the GTT (AS3257) and NTT (AS2914) peers. I was getting tired of trying to optimize routes for many direct peers and I believe having two (good) peers is more efficient for this network anyways.

I'm going to investigate how NTT and GTT looks in Asia and possibly look into having our Asia PoPs use only them as well. Here's a network map of GTT and NTT:

GTT

556-07-03-2019-ml5FUVkB.png

NTT

global-ip-network-map.jpg

Thanks!

I forgot to mention, the GTT and NTT change did not resolve our Dallas routing issue, unfortunately. I've brought this up to Vultr as well.

Thanks.

Our Asia PoP servers are now using only GTT and NTT. I currently see no problems with this.

EDIT

I also made an adjustment to our Sydney PoP which might prevent some ISPs in the US from going to the Sydney PoP.

Thanks.

36 minutes ago, ACanadianAsian said:

Any Updates ? 

Unfortunately not. Vultr hasn't gotten back to us (what a surprise -.-).

We're making further progress with the ASN, though. Waiting to hear back from the RIPE NCC which should be sometime next week.

Thanks.

This issue has resolved itself. I allowed Telia to be announced to the Dallas PoP yesterday which fixed my home network's path. Today it looks like the machines started taking Telia's path to Dallas as well (it is a shorter AS-Path, so I'm not sure why it took so long for it to choose this path over the path to Chicago).

@ACanadianAsian Tagging for visibility.

Thanks.