Omid

some thoughts

For now i will speak on One topic, and One topic Alone, I am tired and Busy with other stuff, so i'll clear atleast one part.

3 hours ago, Omid said:

• Confusing jurisdictions. Not only do I feel like the addition of PR is confusing (especially since there's no real listing of what community/forum based positions do what and how much responsibility they take on -- I think this should be stated somewhere easily seen/easily accessed) I also think the entire hierarchy of things needs to be reevaluated.  For example, if the PR deals with community related matters, why are they able to accept member applications-- something that would fall more under forum moderators? A job that's entire jurisdiction, I believed until recently, was focused on the happenings of the forums. 

Each section of PR manages Different things, you have CR (Conflict Resolution, Deals with Conflicts That aren't Civil or fall within the Rules of Said area, Whether it's Staff or Members, CR has the Ability to intervene if they see Fit to do Such), And then you have EC (Event Coordinators, This one is pretty Self-explanatory, They make Events that, A good portion, If not ALL, of GFL is welcome to come and Participate in)

And then you have HR, Which used to handle ONLY member Applications, Now they Not only do that, But give Tour Guides and Answer questions Anyone may have about the Forums, Discords, Any area they seek to Know about, Or wish to know More of, This is something that, EC/CR have no Jurisdiction Over, Unless said person also Applied and Obtained HR alongside CR/EC or Even all Three of the roles that currently Reside within PR.

For the First bit of that Message, As far as i can Tell PR has been around for a good Moment, Maybe about a Year, and for a good Portion of that, it's only been HR (member Acceptor), And while You can Argue it falls Under Forums Moderator (The end bit of your Message), Member acceptor has always been a Role different from Forums moderator, Atleast from my Knowledge.

In the End, PR is being Updated/Revamped Currently, And a Fully Detailed post on what each Role Can and Can't do, Will come in the Following week if not within a Few days, And i suspect this will Answer alot of the Questions or Topics/Points made Within this Thread/Post, For now, Its mostly trying to bolster it's ranks as Each role needs atleast a good Bit to get it off it's Feet.

So as far as I'm concerned, The Jurisdiction should no longer be Confusing, So for Now, I will take my Leave, and Respond to the rest of this Tomorrow.

Have a Nice Day!

Sincerely, Public Resources Davoony.

Forums_Signature_2.thumb.png.eb9483016048e8a57363a03685f78b10.png

A couple of assumption on my end here as I'm a little out of the loop, so this might not be very useful
I agree with most of your post, but two things confused me:

3 hours ago, Omid said:

The community as a whole should be allowed input on the community and its potential representatives (even if they hold no responsibilities).

Could you more clearly define "community" and "representatives"? Are you talking about managers (and/or DLs), which could go as representatives for their respective communities, or is this aimed at directors directly representing the broader community? The obvious concern in either case is that influence from the community is not necessarily grounded or informed, becoming more detrimental as the role of whichever representative is more abstract/removed from whichever community exercising influence (directors being the prime example). Which brings me to the second question -

3 hours ago, Omid said:

The community doesn't need their own versions of peacekeepers and diplomats.

Is this aimed at Trusted/Community Advisors? Building on that assumption I would argue that one of the ways in which they are useful, is specifically in being a mechanism that polices potential representatives for roles that are too abstract for the broader community to have a quantifiably positive influence on. I also think Trusted/CA, the roles being exclusively granted to esteemed community members from various parts/eras of the community, are both diverse and self-serving (i.e. have no special interests) which helps combat nepotism, at least outside their own circle.

Debating how democratic and transparent the hierarchy should be is always muddy, I'm somewhat of a technocrat which might be showing.

I'm not planning on reading the whole thing except that PR was originally part of media team or more so when it was called creative team. It was removed from that team to become a new team. PR was originally the social media team. The one that handles both updating news and making uploading videos. They're the ones that had access to it, but video editor are still on media team, just the uploader is on PR. It not only handles that, but it was also supposed to find partnership with companies and advertisement for GFL. It was split right after heaven stepped down from creative team, so about 2-3 years ago. And then PR had to make adjustments so it went offline for about a month or so, since the leader went on indefinite vacation. So then, it became like this. Multiple other roles fallen into PR.

pfs.gif.0454852536d8143a5e368e9f7a24a8a4.gif

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

8 hours ago, JadedJade said:

So as far as I'm concerned, The Jurisdiction should no longer be Confusing, So for Now, I will take my Leave, and Respond to the rest of this Tomorrow.

I figured all this out from reading through the actual forums and is still confusing because of the reasons I listed. I still feel like HR/PR shouldn't handle member acceptance because again, that isn't a strictly community matter. It's a forum/site matter that I thought forum moderators handled. Having all these responsibility spread out/trickled down from what other roles could be doing but don't makes me and many others very confused. Why not just increase the amount of forum moderators and split responsibilities into different tasks/duties that localized forum moderators could handle whilst the current forum moderators resume their normal duties as global moderators?

8 hours ago, juky said:

Could you more clearly define "community" and "representatives"? Are you talking about managers (and/or DLs), which could go as representatives for their respective communities, or is this aimed at directors directly representing the broader community? The obvious concern in either case is that influence from the community is not necessarily grounded or informed, becoming more detrimental as the role of whichever representative is more abstract/removed from whichever community exercising influence (directors being the prime example). Which brings me to the second question -

When I refer to the community and its representatives, I am referring to the PR/HR side of things because they're engaging with all sides of the community in a social manner.  I agree that the influence isn't as grounded nor informed but it should still be listened to and acknowledged, not just entirely dismissed. As of right now, the way directors, division leaders, and managers are chosen doesn't bother me. Although, some of the picks that have been made/are being made are a little iffy to me. 

8 hours ago, juky said:

Is this aimed at Trusted/Community Advisors? Building on that assumption I would argue that one of the ways in which they are useful, is specifically in being a mechanism that polices potential representatives for roles that are too abstract for the broader community to have a quantifiably positive influence on. I also think Trusted/CA, the roles being exclusively granted to esteemed community members from various parts/eras of the community, are both diverse and self-serving (i.e. have no special interests) which helps combat nepotism, at least outside their own circle.

I honestly NEVER see any Trusted/Community Advisors actually on ever. To me, they are all perk and no real responsibility outside of just looking pretty. If Trusted/CA is a role granted to esteemed community members from various eras of the community then why have many of our older Trusted/Senior Admins been demoted despite still being active? (i.e. Alejandro, who has been here for YEARS and has helped many). Almost all the Community Advisors I have seen are people who had influence in the community at one point rather than actually being chosen because they are viewed by many as esteemed members. That seems like nepotism to me since they're being chosen based on being former colleagues to higher ups. Not every valued member will want to always go above and beyond to take on responsibility, that doesn't make them any less valuable to the community. It seems more like a "retirement" position rather than something that actually serves a purpose because regardless of your explanation, I really don't understand what the point of this role is.

2 hours ago, Bae said:

I'm not planning on reading the whole thing except that PR was originally part of media team or more so when it was called creative team. It was removed from that team to become a new team. PR was originally the social media team. The one that handles both updating news and making uploading videos. They're the ones that had access to it, but video editor are still on media team, just the uploader is on PR. It not only handles that, but it was also supposed to find partnership with companies and advertisement for GFL. It was split right after heaven stepped down from creative team, so about 2-3 years ago. And then PR had to make adjustments so it went offline for about a month or so, since the leader went on indefinite vacation. So then, it became like this. Multiple other roles fallen into PR.

Why isn't the uploader on the media team too if they're in charge of uploading these videos? Wha--?? Why isn't HR/PR just called the Social Media Team with 1-2 members just assigned to roles? 

┍━━—━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┑

spacer.png

┕━━—━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┙

I'll help with confusion. 

PR has been changed around a fuck ton since I was PR leader. So it's of course confusing to plenty of people while its under a sort of construction. 

HR was originally called Member Acceptor. I renamed it to give them more work to do after the construction because most complaint that all they get to do is catch apps the new bot doesn't get. Otherwise I'd have to demote the team down to 3 people for those few applications. 

Conflict resolution is very new and not quite developed. As in, I made it 2 days ago. It has more intentions than to be a median in conflict, but all of it with center around people needing assistance with issues whether they are personal or professional. It also sets a more definitive guideline for punishment if it is staff performing these issues. If a manager wants it resolved to save them from demotion, they can sit with CR and discuss, as most higher ups who deal with that kind of stuff either are busy or just don't want to. 

Lastly, PR has been split much longer than that. Heaven wasn't media team leader 2-3 years ago either. That was about a year ago. And we had a social media department for PR but it was discontinued as all social medias except steam was never used or had conflict getting access, and we have steam moderators to clean up and post on steam, which is not active much either anymore. Same with the old Advertisements department. 

I'll be finishing up more of the PR construction soon, and writing an announcement entailing the duties of every single position. 

10.png

09d0b896183dbff5a60d2b2cc222695d.png

367262534_BOI.png.c132dc31a7816b5ef0a2142c6559bc4c.png

Achievements

1 hour ago, Omid said:

I honestly NEVER see any Trusted/Community Advisors actually on ever. To me, they are all perk and no real responsibility outside of just looking pretty. If Trusted/CA is a role granted to esteemed community members from various eras of the community then why have many of our older Trusted/Senior Admins been demoted despite still being active? (i.e. Alejandro, who has been here for YEARS and has helped many). Almost all the Community Advisors I have seen are people who had influence in the community at one point rather than actually being chosen because they are viewed by many as esteemed members. That seems like nepotism to me since they're being chosen based on being former colleagues to higher ups. Not every valued member will want to always go above and beyond to take on responsibility, that doesn't make them any less valuable to the community. It seems more like a "retirement" position rather than something that actually serves a purpose because regardless of your explanation, I really don't understand what the point of this role is.

To answer a bit on that. Trusted/Community Advisors don't have any sort of perms besides being able to see the Trusted subforum and having more insight in what current Staff is doing, besides that, zero perks. As for what the role is there is quite simple, we are there to help current Staff make decisions and make GFL go forwards;

I can't really comment on older Trusted/Senior Admins being demoted as I don't know that much details about it, but last time there was a purge on Trusted/Community Advisors members it was due to them not being active in the discussions current Staff were having or not being that involved at all besides on their friend group;

As for being from colleagues to higher ups, while it is true to some point as in, everyone there was a Staff member, not everyone there was colleagues with the current higher ups. The current team of people in Trusted is Dano, Darkling, Hacking, Rick, Shuruia, Skittlez, X2D and I. Some of us never worked in a team with the current Directors (Ben, Liloz and Revival) before. 

Hope it sheds some light towards it, if you do have any sort of questions feel free to ask,

cheers!

76561198048327544.png

@Ash-'s opinion on gmod: 

4smalUvk.png
image.png.c3ced03940ca3f9bff0b8c6b1b425d4f.png

Since my original non-serious post was deleted I'll type this out. I agree with most points of Omid's post, perhaps it's just my chaotic nature at heart but I don't see much purpose to a conflict resolution team and agree that a lot of people wouldn't take them seriously. That point was the one I particularly took interest in because if my personal views on the matter and I do believe most conflicts should be handled in private messages if so desired by all parties involved in said conflict, either that or publicly in front of everyone to see and laugh at. Other than that I do believe many of these roles to be pointless or lack a proper explanation of their duties as pointed out by Omid. I have little to no faith in the common person and also believe that there are people who just want to take an easy to get role for power and/or a pretty color for their name. I would like to see further explanations for the justification of having a whole PR team in the future which has been partially covered by RivalRevival. Until then I stand by my opinion that a PR team seems almost completely useless and only exists to make roles for the sake of having roles (such as conflict resolution)

Posted  Edited by Omid
1 hour ago, RivalRevival said:

I'll help with confusion. 

PR has been changed around a fuck ton since I was PR leader. So it's of course confusing to plenty of people while its under a sort of construction. 

HR was originally called Member Acceptor. I renamed it to give them more work to do after the construction because most complaint that all they get to do is catch apps the new bot doesn't get. Otherwise I'd have to demote the team down to 3 people for those few applications. 

Conflict resolution is very new and not quite developed. As in, I made it 2 days ago. It has more intentions than to be a median in conflict, but all of it with center around people needing assistance with issues whether they are personal or professional. It also sets a more definitive guideline for punishment if it is staff performing these issues. If a manager wants it resolved to save them from demotion, they can sit with CR and discuss, as most higher ups who deal with that kind of stuff either are busy or just don't want to. 

Lastly, PR has been split much longer than that. Heaven wasn't media team leader 2-3 years ago either. That was about a year ago. And we had a social media department for PR but it was discontinued as all social medias except steam was never used or had conflict getting access, and we have steam moderators to clean up and post on steam, which is not active much either anymore. Same with the old Advertisements department. 

I'll be finishing up more of the PR construction soon, and writing an announcement entailing the duties of every single position. 

Seems like a lot of miscommunication then/remembering past events differently, hopefully the announcement can clear a lot of things up but I do feel like things can still be condensed. Also, I really don't believe a conflict resolution group is a good idea and if someone can't resolve a conflict on their own, they really shouldn't be able to stay on the staff team. These are traits and actions the staff and the community should be utilizing by themselves. Involving a third party isn't always the best idea and again, can breed resentment in the third party and also breed gossip/backbiting. I hate to say it because ageism is a shitty thing but it also doesn't help that a lot of the PR/HR staff is relatively young. 

59 minutes ago, Mejilla said:

Picking staff members no matter the team is always going to have some sort of bias. That's how it works in the real world as well. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions on other people, and as to which opinions are biased thoughts/ideas. Especially small groups of people in teams who have worked with each other for longer than perhaps the other members of the team or people trying to join the team. They're closer, so they're more likely to draw up the same conclusions about certain people and stick to it as a group. Which is fine, because that is their decision to make, even if what they believe is not entirely true. They are their own person. This literally happens anywhere you go. As I said, you see this all the time in real life. And it's going to happen for any team here in GFL and it's going to continue to happen as the years go on. I guess it's what the older parents always told us, "that's called life."

Honestly, everything you said here was just confusing. My parents and grandparents never said "c'est la vie" like your parents did, they encouraged me to be a part of the change in my generation lol. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and with their opinions is bias to influence them, however, with a mix of diverse opinions is a reduction in bias towards any particular party. Yeah, people who've worked together will learn more towards each other out of comfort instead of someone new but that still isn't fair and others should be encouraged to take on these positions of representation in the community if they're equally as qualified. Not swayed away because of nepotism, which isn't just bias. It's favoring your friends over strangers and not encouraging anyone else to take those roles/encouraging them to drop those roles if they get it in order to open a position for your friends. 

As far as the member accepting side of this, in the end, it's not going to matter to players who are in what "team" or "role". They won't put in a member application and look into who and from where the person accepting it is coming from. It just gets handled when no one else is quick enough to do it, which is all they really care about. It doesn't personally affect them, which is a smaller reason why it's how it is at the moment. Sure, getting down deep into it; it might not make sense. Time is really fundamental. You have to let things play out and get fixed over time. But for now, that's just how it is. It's been explained over and over again that this is a revamp and nothing is truly set in place. This is just a foundation. Don't get me wrong, I understand this is a post is a suggestion and is pushed for the demand for change. And it might help in the future, no doubt.

It does matter when members ask questions about it and people aren't sure what does what in the community because there's no real guide as to what does what lying around on the forums. Everything is found out through announcements, what various staff members say about certain roles, and what members say. Not having answers for a new member can dissuade people from joining, becoming a part of the community, and funding the community's servers via donations. I never said it wasn't a revamp, I never even said that the roles in this team shouldn't exist. I said that things should be condensed, reconsidered, and looked at with a more realistic approach to avoid problems in the future. This is a suggestion, I never demanded change. I proposed my viewpoints (and some that belong to others whose names I won't list) and didn't expect any change. I'm just expecting someone to acknowledge my points which has happened. 

But.. with the continuance with the whole thread and constant same replies (this is a general statement for everyone, the same points were made in discord and are still being made in this thread) isn't going to help anything when it's just two opposing points, it could go on forever. The suggestion was made for a reason, and hopefully, it gets discussed with whoever it needs to be discussed with. Everyone should let the suggestion sit for a bit until things are set and maybe even extracted from the suggestion. And after that, maybe suggest more if things are still a bit fuzzy. But that's just my overall opinion. :)(thanks for posting more of what i was trying to get at before me wiggles, frick u)

Again, you're just being confusing again and I don't think you really proofread your post before posting it. This is a  suggestion that was made to encourage discussion and elaboration of various things that haven't been elaborated on. If they didn't want suggestions and criticism, they shouldn't have made a suggestions forum. If you have something constructive to say, I encourage you to join in the discussion otherwise I'd appreciate it if you keep unnecessary comments to yourself. 

24 minutes ago, Pyros said:

To answer a bit on that. Trusted/Community Advisors don't have any sort of perms besides being able to see the Trusted subforum and having more insight in what current Staff is doing, besides that, zero perks. As for what the role is there is quite simple, we are there to help current Staff make decisions and make GFL go forwards;

I can't really comment on older Trusted/Senior Admins being demoted as I don't know that much details about it, but last time there was a purge on Trusted/Community Advisors members it was due to them not being active in the discussions current Staff were having or not being that involved at all besides on their friend group;

As for being from colleagues to higher ups, while it is true to some point as in, everyone there was a Staff member, not everyone there was colleagues with the current higher ups. The current team of people in Trusted is Dano, Darkling, Hacking, Rick, Shuruia, Skittlez, X2D and I. Some of us never worked in a team with the current Directors (Ben, Liloz and Revival) before. 

Hope it sheds some light towards it, if you do have any sort of questions feel free to ask,

cheers!

Thank you for clearing things up! I just know that a lot of the old Trusted staff members were demoted and didn't get much word about it after that. I didn't know much of the happenings behind the scenes with Trusted/CA's aside from an ominous yellow name that would sometimes look at the same thread as me. Also, I didn't mean "higher ups" by referring to Directors. I meant that they were either a very high up staff member (Manager at least) or they were very close to one (friends, romantic interest, etc). 

Edited by Omid

┍━━—━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┑

spacer.png

┕━━—━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┙

Everything you've said is absolutely true, I think GFL needs to restructure how privileges and teams work and slim down or at least clarify who does what and who works under who and what-not, I've been here for like 3 weeks and I STILL don't know the purpose of everyone's roles, except for admins and mods ofc.

Posted  Edited by juky
6 hours ago, Omid said:
15 hours ago, juky said:

Could you more clearly define "community" and "representatives"? ....

When I refer to the community and its representatives, I am referring to the PR/HR side of things because they're engaging with all sides of the community in a social manner.  I agree that the influence isn't as grounded nor informed but it should still be listened to and acknowledged, not just entirely dismissed. As of right now, the way directors, division leaders, and managers are chosen doesn't bother me. Although, some of the picks that have been made/are being made are a little iffy to me. 

15 hours ago, juky said:

Thanks for specifying. I agree in that the hierarchy as put forward to the community (i.e. the list of ranks at the bottom of the forum) should be both relevant to a nonmarginal part of the community, and intuitive and with clear purpose in name.

16 hours ago, JadedJade said:

you have CR (Conflict Resolution, Deals with Conflicts That aren't Civil or fall within the Rules of Said area, Whether it's Staff or Members, CR has the Ability to intervene if they see Fit to do Such)

Conflicts resolution is a very broad spectacle in that it happens on a multitude of levels. Where exactly would a "Conflict Resolution" team find its place? There's conflicts specific to gameservers (griefing, bans, ..) which are handled by admins or sometimes managers, forum or discord disputes which are handled by moderators, community wide crisis which are handled by directors, etc. 

I'm worried CR might be redundant, and possibly too authoritative to be constructive in the small conflicts it seemingly will end up targeting.

Now they Not only do that, But give Tour Guides and Answer questions Anyone may have about the Forums, Discords, Any area they seek to Know about, Or wish to know More of

I don't think this requires even a single dedicated individual, let alone a rank/badge/organized initiative. You could try writing an "About" page, with a little FAQ if need be?

Event Coordinators, This one is pretty Self-explanatory, They make Events that, A good portion, If not ALL, of GFL is welcome to come and Participate in

Events are cool, but the same can be said about the event coordinators rank/badge. Anyone can take any initiative at any time (some things might require leadership permission), this already happens on a gameserver level.

5 hours ago, RivalRevival said:

It would've been fine to just decrease the size of the team, slimming down overhead in any hierarchy is a good thing. Adding ambiguity to the naming isn't, it fosters obscurity which in turn breeds disdain (see this thread). It might want to be considered to scrap PR altogether in favor of a handful of member acceptors.

Edited by juky

4 hours ago, juky said:

It would've been fine to just decrease the size of the team, slimming down overhead in any hierarchy is a good thing. Adding ambiguity to the naming isn't, it fosters obscurity which in turn breeds disdain (see this thread). It might want to be considered to scrap PR altogether in favor of a handful of member acceptors

The issue is, we recently just had a handful of member acceptors and they found it redundant enough to slack. They want to help more than they have, and honestly I'm not gonna let this thread change how I develop the team. It may influence some odds and ends where it does make sense, but overall, shrug. 

10.png

09d0b896183dbff5a60d2b2cc222695d.png

367262534_BOI.png.c132dc31a7816b5ef0a2142c6559bc4c.png

Achievements