kala_captain

Server needs map changes.

So I think I may have brought this up before on this forum and I apologize if I already have. But the server needs to have regular map changes. Since there is no time limit on the map, the map goes on forever and it makes the server extremely laggy. Source is not built for that. You can make the server do map changes to the same map, just make the time limit like 12 hours or something if you don't want map changes. It won't interrupt rounds in progress.

• Like 2

Unfortunately I don’t think there is anyone handling the server anymore, but maybe @Liloz01 or someone with access still could do it.

Thanks,

Pedro.

You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge about the game, since I don't play it. Is 12 hours really a good amount of time between map resets? Seems quite long, also, I'm quite surprised it isn't a built in feature.

There won't be map cycling, however, since it is "Island 24/7" for now, we are always open to ideas :lenny:

Thank you for the suggestion!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Liloz01 said:

You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge about the game, since I don't play it. Is 12 hours really a good amount of time between map resets? Seems quite long, also, I'm quite surprised it isn't a built in feature.

There won't be map cycling, however, since it is "Island 24/7" for now, we are always open to ideas :lenny:

Thank you for the suggestion!

12 hours should be good, after that it starts getting a little wonky. It’s pretty much the same as the other source games (cs:s, cs:go, tf2). There used to be a daily reset feature when we used NFOservers but I don’t think it’s available anymore. Also for the map change I think he was saying have it change to the same map so it acts as a restart. If needed I could help watch over this server until/if someone else is appointed.

Edited by Pedro

24 hours should work as well. Maps that run on for too long without a map change on the Source Engine starts to feel very non-smooth. I wasn't able to find a fix or a cause to this years ago. I might try doing some research again.

I'll look into modifying the plugin I made to do this for CS:S/CS:GO and have it work for PVKII. There's probably a max rounds CVar I can set too that'll make it so it restarts on round-end after x amount of rounds instead of randomly changing the map.

EDIT

I just set the mp_timelimit of the server to 1440 (a day). This should do since the round technically ends. I'll look into restarting the map if it hasn't already. The above was me overthinking everything and wasn't putting round ends into consideration.

Thank you.

• Like 3

While I was a manager, I tried to do map rotations. The main issue with doing that is population. Players like to just play 1 map, personally, I find it a bit boring, but that is what the major player base enjoy. 

3 minutes ago, TheJitFace said:

While I was a manager, I tried to do map rotations. The main issue with doing that is population. Players like to just play 1 map, personally, I find it a bit boring, but that is what the major player base enjoy. 

The OP was talking about the server itself not changing maps, ever. Not even restarting the current map. This resulted in the server becoming choppy and is due to a strange (bug?) in the Source Engine.

I do agree with your main point, though. I probably suggested keeping it 24/7 Island regardless to you because I find 24/7 maps to be more popular in games such as PVKII. With that said, map changes in general result in loss of players.

Thanks.

• Like 1