ekren

Server lag problems

Over the past few weeks, the server has started lagging quite a bit and makes players very annoyed and angry especially when people are in the middle of a run.

Normally it's just a brief lag spike then it's over. But, sometimes for some players including me, it will freeze for 5-10 seconds then come back and after that I get this in console:NTSduBK.png

SendNetMsg 92.119.148.20:27015: stream[netchan_t::reliabledata] buffer overflow (maxsize = 4000)!

I've googled to see if this was just an issue on my end, but all the posts I've found about it seem to suggest that it is a server side issue, I haven't had this issue on any other servers I've played on only GFL bhop.

I hope this gets resolved quickly.

Pretty sure it is the same issue detailed in the following thread:

You can check for updates on that thread.

Thanks.

Has anyone had lag issues since early yesterday? The issue appears to be fixed for multiple users.

Thank you.

On 8/1/2019 at 7:17 AM, Roy said:

Has anyone had lag issues since early yesterday? The issue appears to be fixed for multiple users.

Thank you.

Didn't get a notification for this for some reason but ya. I haven't experienced the issue with the SendNetMsg thing since before the post you made on that other thread that you linked about the PoP's. The server does still lag sometimes but is much more infrequently and usually for a fraction of a second.

45 minutes ago, Foley said:

@Roy It seems to happen whenever someone joins the server. Its like the server hiccups when someone joins

This sounds like an issue with the server's optimization itself. I'd suggest reaching out to the Server Manager and addressing this.

1 hour ago, ekren said:

Didn't get a notification for this for some reason but ya. I haven't experienced the issue with the SendNetMsg thing since before the post you made on that other thread that you linked about the PoP's. The server does still lag sometimes but is much more infrequently and usually for a fraction of a second.

I don't believe the issue on the NYC PoP is actually resolved itself. However, since we stopped announcing to Telia, many routes stopped going to the NYC PoP. GTT and NTT should have better routing than Telia, though. So not sure why that's the case. There's some serious routing issues with the NYC PoP and Vultr is sure taking their time to respond back.

I'm going to try reaching out to them again, but I've replied two times in the past 3 - 4 days with no luck. We'll have to put up with Vultr until Scorch Host can get going.

21 hours ago, toothpick said:

yes the hide and seek sever had some lag earlier but not for long tho

The Hide and Seek server is on NFO and not our Anycast network. I would suggest talking to the Server Manager along with getting some MTRs to the Hide and Seek server's IP. You can also run net_graph 4 and see if the server FPS (sv item) is dropping when this lag occurs.

Thanks.