Brother May

Day of Defeat: Source Server

Hello, I am Brother May/Hank, I have been playing on GFL servers for 6 years (Since June 2013). I am very experienced with Counter-Strike Source Zombie Escape, which is the game I have nearly 2000 hours in. I am friends with the admins of this server and I love to see it prosper. Recently, I picked up Day of Defeat: Source in the Steam summer sale.  This is what I consider a sibling game to CS:S and is easy to jump right into and have fun. It's one of the most fun WW2 shooters ever made, in my opinion. I was exploring new servers and the community was not friendly at all to the newcomers who picked it up on sale. The admins across multiple servers aren't friendly either. It's no wonder why this game is in entropy and no one plays it. Yes, it is an old game. However an old game combined with awful administration makes it even worse. So here I am coming to GFL proposing we make a server with friendly admins to revive this game, and keep it running smoothly for years, and not discourage anyone from playing.  I want to hear people say, "If you want to play Day of Defeat: Source you should play on the GFL server, they're the best server in that game."

Would love to hear back from you guys soon.

Brother May

We did try a Day of Defeat: Source server probably around 1 - 2 years ago. It unfortunately didn't do so well.

While the game's player base is small nowadays, there doesn't appear to be many servers according to my game tracking website here along with some pretty decent numbers (e.g. the Pop/Servers ratio):

https://pop.browser.tf/index.php?appid=300&mode=0

If others are up for it, I wouldn't mind trying another server.

Thanks!

Ah fuck it. A DoD:S server won't take much CPU and we have the room for it on our third machine plus I used to love playing the game. DoD:S has better numbers than FoF and PVKII which are both doing fairly well.

What would you guys like to see on this server along with the specific game mode, etc?

Thanks!

Thanks for the fast response and support guys! Personally I would want an instant (or near instant) respawn and keep it as original as possible. That way it would make it quick and easy for people to hop into the server and have a good time.

37 minutes ago, Brother May said:

Thanks for the fast response and support guys! Personally I would want an instant (or near instant) respawn and keep it as original as possible. That way it would make it quick and easy for people to hop into the server and have a good time.

No problem!

b_560_95_1.png

Server IP is 92.119.148.1:27015. At the moment, it is a 24/7 Donner server. However, I wouldn't mind changing it. Having a 24/7 map would help the server to start in regards to population, though.

I can look into fast respawn. Not sure if these are default CVars in the game I can set or if I need a plugin.

There was a player on earlier spamming !medic in chat. Is this a common thing on DOD:S servers and if so, what does it do? I can search for plugins on AlliedMods and add the plugin if I find it.

Thanks.