Roy

DayZ Servers?

Hey all,

I was wondering if anybody here has played on any popular DayZ servers and if so, do they have a lot of custom addons/mods? I am going to be playing on some later today but figured I'd ask the community first. I've seen quite a few people on my friend's list playing DayZ often. So I'd assume there are at least some people in GFL that do the same.

The reason I ask is I've noticed DayZ servers becoming more and more popular according to my tracking website here. With that said, there are a lot of popular servers on GameTracker here. From the communities I've seen currently expanded into the game, they offer many potential Supporter/VIP perks and have Discord servers with over 30,000 players! Therefore, I decided to try to get DayZ server files running under Linux via Wine on one of my home server's VMs since they only have Windows builds at the moment (UNFORTUNATELY...). Linux server files is on the "to-do list", but there is currently no ETA nor public information available regarding it. Sadly, I'm currently facing issues running the server with Wine and I'm pretty certain the newer builds of the server files aren't supported with Wine due to Battleye. I still made a Reddit thread about this, though:

I want to see if many of the mods the servers are running are publicly available or not since I've heard the game has a pretty big Steam Workshop for server mods, etc. If not, I guess we'll need a dedicated developer which is going to be a struggle (I'm assuming this is the case since most of these type of games have mostly private mods/addons).

I'm also going to be working to get a FiveM server up to see what I can do with that and what is available.

I'm just experimenting with these games to see if there's a possibility of adding them to the GFL rotation depending on how much maintenance the server will require and if we have those resources. If we were to get our foot through the door on some of these games, I have a lot of confidence it would benefit us HIGHLY. Especially with the amount of donations & players it could bring in to our website and Discord server.

Any input is appreciated :)

P.S. We need to fix that Reddit embed rofl. It looks ugly on the current theme :P 

Thank you!

Posted  Edited by DaLaw · Hidden
Hidden

If I am being honest. It's great to attract new players to the community especially with a game we have never had.

My only real concern is price for members who want to play that don't have DayZ.

DayZ Standalone- $60 game that the lowest sales price was $30. 

GTA V (FiveM) - $30 game and the lowest sales price was $15.

Arma 3 - $30 game and the lowest sales price was $10.

Once everything is worked out and if we do get a DayZ server then hell yeah!

All three of those games have a lot of potential and a loyal playerbase. (Arma 3 is kind of going down)

Edited by DaLaw

GFL Ranks

[Former] Manager for Purge/DarkRP.                 

[Former] Manager for AWP 24/7

[Former] Senior Badmin for the old Purge.

[Former] Senior Badmin for the new Purge.             

[Former] Senior Admin for Hightower. 

[Former] Server Admin for 2Fort. 

[Former] Server Admin for 2Fort 2

[Former] Human Resources.  

[Bans] Old Purge - 400+

[Joined] 2012-2013.

Achievements

Posted  Edited by k2nod · Hidden
Hidden

There has been a huge update, that DayZ SA needed to gain players. I've had the game since it started and now it's actually playable. So it might be worth looking into it.

UPDATE: I reposted @Roy thread on the bohemia interactive DayZ forums. Hopefully someone will reply and help. :) https://forums.dayz.com/topic/245957-dayz-dedicated-server-wine-support-binding-to-specific-ip/

Edited by k2nod

(Private: k2nod) Russell Crowe: are you using hyperscrolll

Achievements

19 hours ago, k2nod said:

There has been a huge update, that DayZ SA needed to gain players. I've had the game since it started and now it's actually playable. So it might be worth looking into it.

UPDATE: I reposted @Roy thread on the bohemia interactive DayZ forums. Hopefully someone will reply and help. :) https://forums.dayz.com/topic/245957-dayz-dedicated-server-wine-support-binding-to-specific-ip/

Thank you for that :) 

Posted  Edited by Joshy - Edit Reason: Added videos · Hidden
Hidden

I stopped playing because it was updated too frequently and very buggy.

I like the game, but I don't think it's something I'd donate to if I were new or didn't have some perks to the game.  Part of the fun or something you understand quickly is to not become attached to items.  I could only see cosmetic items being fun for videos or screenshots, but I would imagine it could draw attention to other players who would aim to kill you (this is why you never want to get vehicles).  If you had advantageous perks, then the game would get really old to the new players who get slaughtered right away.  It's a tough pitch, but I admit it has been an extremely long time since I've played and maybe my perspective is skewed by outdated material.

edit:

A video from 5 years ago.  DayZ was almost a bonding way between my twin and I.  It's funny that I cannot tell who is talking.  Both of our voices at the time were almost the same; I can only use context now and vague memory.

A vehicle one.  We were trying to plot through some zombies and explore a bit more for some loot.  We either abandoned it or died shortly after, but I cannot remember. (video is a bit long IMO)

Edited by Joshy
Added videos

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Hidden

DayZ has changed a lot, you can build bases now. Perks wouldn't have to be advantageous, maybe something like skins or you spawn with a different gun. There is a lot of work to be done if we were to have a DayZ server but we have to look at all the possibilities we have to expand GFL

(Private: k2nod) Russell Crowe: are you using hyperscrolll

Achievements