_Rocket_

Why Being an Innocent is Better Than You Think

Introduction

It seems as if most people hate the idea of being an innocent. Traitor rounds are always fun, right? And getting 8 innocent rounds in a row is so annoying... Except it really isn't. Bare with me here, let me explain.

Being an Innocent seems to annoy a lot of people. At one point it even annoyed me. You see people getting multiple T rounds in a row, meanwhile you just got your ninth consecutive Innocent round. It makes perfect sense why you'd be upset. Traitor rounds are the funnest part of this game mode. If you aren't getting T rounds, why bother playing the game... right?

I want to show you that being an innocent isn't as much as a pain as it seems to be. Enjoying an innocent round highly depends on your perspective on an Innocents role. And I'm going to hopefully convince you that being an innocent doesn't suck as much as you currently view it to be. Of course, this entire post is still subjective. If this post doesn't alter your view on being an innocent, then that's fine. I just want to hopefully give people more of a reason to enjoy the gamemode they play.

The Role of an Innocent Terrorist

Right away, we are going to enter some subjective territory here. But we all have a different view on how we play an innocent role. This section is entirely optional to view. You can skip to the next section (The next paragraph to have red text) if you please.

First, you have the follower. A follower tends to stay in large groups. The innocent will likely gravitate to detectives, and doesn't usually go traitor hunting, even when a kos is called.

The Pros of this playstyle:

You have a nearby detective to keep you alive and potentially heal damage you take.

You are unlikely to gain any false suspicion because you stay with a crowd and don't venture off.

Getting killed by a sword is rare, so you often have a chance to defend yourself against a traitor (provided they don't snipe you from a distance)

The Cons of this playstyle:

Groups tend to be in wide open areas, so getting sniped is a common occurrence.

You rarely find a traitor. You wait for traitors to attack you.

(Subjective) You don't gain a ton of experience, since you never really have a reason to make any mistakes besides missing shots. You always follow, so when you are forced into an "independent" situation, you may not be able to handle it well.

Next, you have the opposite, the leader playstyle. The leader playstyle is a polar opposite of the follower playstyle (go figure). Unlike the follower, who has a more passive playstyle, the leader playstyle is a little more active. You'll typically still stay within a group, but you will often be the most vocal of the group. You will question others, scout out for any suspicious activity, etc. But you'll do it to keep everyone in the group from getting slaughtered (including yourself). A detective tends to also adapt this playstyle.

Depending on the attitude of your peers, you are pretty unlikely to be called out as being "suspicious". Most traitors avoid trying to help Innocents, so being a leader in an inno group is a good way to prove your innocence without having to take a tester.

Snipers tend to ignore you in large groups. Since you are usually moving often, snipers will aim for the more passive players who stand still sometimes and often does predictable movement.

In general, you tend to be one of the last Innocents alive when your peers are killed off. Traitors are scared of killing you first because they can either miss shots, or be seen by the other members in your group.

Like the follower, you rarely find traitors, more often they just suddenly reveal themselves when they get a wild hair up their ass and start taking on an army with a single shotgun. (Though you might be the first to see a sniper trying to pick off people in your group)

(Subjective) I still believe you miss out on the opportunity to make legitimate mistakes that help you learn new strategies in surviving on your own. You are a leader of a group, but you still are relying on that group to survive.

Now, these next playstyles have a very similar goal in mind, but have some differences that tell them apart. So read closely.

The Scout is a very common playstyle in maps that have sniper points... Pretty much places that people go to when they have a rifle. These guys look around and keeps a keen eye on everyone. If they see any traitorous actions going on, they call it out and try to assist in killing the bad boi.

You will be able to find and kill traitors at a safe distance. Sometimes even finding a traitor without the traitor noticing you, completely ruining that traitors round entirely.

This gives you good practice with aiming guns, especially rifles. This can help you with death matching, or consistently hitting headshots as a traitor.

You tend to be a literal sitting duck. Traitors with sniper rifles LOVE to take you out as a first kill. Of course that is dangerous because DNA, but they still do it.

You are gonna look suspicious no matter what you do. Just be ready for people to start calling you out for being a suspicious person.

Tunnel Vision also means you can get a sword in the back.

The bait is a playstyle I use to do. And is honestly the dumbest one to do. You pretty much play as if you WANT the traitor to attack you... Because you do want the traitor to attack you. You then call out who it is and hope people listen.

You are often one of the first players to call out a KOS.

More often than not, you are one of the first Innocents to die.

If the traitor uses a sword, your only chance to call them out before you inevitably die is if they miss one of the swings or make a really dumb mistake.

No really, you are gonna be killed by swords often. Traitors LOVE to use swords on baiters.

If no one is around, you can get headshot and everyone will be none-the-wiser.

You hardly get any death matching experience because you constantly get swords in your body and lead lodged into your skull.

The loner has a super edgy title for it's playstyle, but don't let that fool you. If you adapt this playstyle, you are usually someone who originally used the bait playstyle, but gained some experience from constant failures and mistakes to play smarter.

The main idea isn't different from the previous two playstyles; your goal is to find a traitor and expose them, and hopefully kill them. However, the way you go about this is different. The scout tends to be pretty stationary. The bait tends to stay in areas that traitors roam around often. The loner tends to move and almost never stop. Loners often have keybinds that have both ttt_radio messages, followed by automatic "say" messages. They roam all over the map, jumping and/or straffing so they don't get sniped. Telling people to not follow them and such. They try to stay alone if possible. They often look both in front and behind them to stay alert of any traitors.

Traitors usually have no choice but to fight you at a range, giving you a chance to call them out.

You are killed by headshots and especially swords less often, so you'll have more of a fighting chance.

You are very good at revealing traitors. Traitors try to kill off Innocents who are alone first. You can exploit this.

You get a lot of experience with both death matching and decision making. Any mistakes you make can be learned from, because most mistakes tend to be your fault.

Some people will occasionally become suspicious of you. Silent individuals who stay away from groups are usually the first to be called out.

You are going to make dumb mistakes. It's a learning curve. Traitors are going to usually try to kill you off first. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. It's a good thing because hey more practice and experience... but now you are watching your dead corpse getting hung on a wall.

Please note this is not ALL the playstyles. These are just the main ones I wanted to list.

What Makes a Good Innocent?

In my eyes, a good innocent is someone who can identify a traitor on valid grounds, knows when it's valid to shoot, and knows the right means into revealing the traitor and staying alive. This is why I don't like passive playstyles very much. It's really boring to me. So... Why does your playstyle matter in how much you enjoy being an innocent terrorist? Well remember, it's about perspective.

When you travel in packs, you rarely have to use strategy. You don't need to do a whole lot in general. You just kill whoever tries to kill you, and kill whoever tried to/successfully killed someone else. This is pretty boring after 8 consecutive rounds. You are effectively letting the game play around you and you hardly have any control in what happens. This is why so many people don't like being an innocent. The game tends to just happen around them. As a traitor, you control the tides of the game. Your decisions can heavily impact the turnout of the round. However as a passive innocent, you feel like a number on the leaderboard of players.

Innocent Terrorists Need Plans, Too!

Traitors aren't the only terrorists who need a strategy. Playing the role of an innocent effectively takes a lot more skill and experience than most realize.

Just because your role color is green does NOT mean you aren't important to how the game plays out. Remember, even one traitor dying can save the life of multiple innocents. The main cause of them missing this is... Well likely because they're too busy complaining about being an innocent and not being a traitor.

A lot of people don't like being an innocent because it's harder than being a traitor. Being an effective traitor may take experience, but with the right team it isn't an incredibly challenging thing to do. But as an innocent? An Innocents job is hard. Very hard. Every time you die, you have to wait out the rest of the round before you get another shot. This is why so many people get upset.

This is why perspective matters. Don't think surface level. Don't view things at face value. Pay more attention.

When you die, spend the rest of that round thinking about why you died, and what you could've done to avoid that death. It's something I do quite often. Like, if you get headshot by a sniper, instead of thinking "I fucking hate snipers!!! I wish they would just die!!!", Instead think "Maybe I need to straffe a little more... What would be a good straffe pattern? Would jumping help? Why did the sniper go for me first?".

The right attitude can make all the difference. No seriously. Every death should seriously be taken as a learning experience. Instead of mindlessly playing the game, try to use your brain and problem solve. Figure out a consistent solution to your problem.

"Holy Hell I've killed 2 traitors and called out 2 more!"

Have you ever had that round when you single handedly exposed and/or wiped out most the traitors in a round? Felt pretty damn good huh? This is what happens when you do your job effectively. Your goal is to be as consistent as possible. When you kill a traitor it feels super satisfying. More satisfying than killing an innocent as a traitor, huh? That's because you have to work harder to get a kill when you're an innocent. It requires a lot more experience with death match and with overall gamesense. This is what makes innocent fun. It's a much steeper learning curve. But when you learn how to play innocent effectively, traitors fear you and everyone else loves having you on their side. It's one of the most gratifying feelings you can have in this game mode.

If you want to enjoy innocent rounds, just change your perspective on your role as an innocent terrorist. Trust me when I say it will help you out a lot in the long run. And it will most definitely boost your love for the game.

Have a nice day folks.

Edited by _Rocket_
A few grammar errors and typos. Might fix more later.
  • Like 2

Once again I decided to write this on a phone. I should really consider writing everything else out on my PC during the day. There are so many grammar issues here. Oh well haha, hopefully I still got my point across.

Your point would matter more if it wasn't for the fact that even if you're actively roaming around as an innocent, you're effectively just a Detective without a DNA scanner or any special tools. TTT's main problem is how innocents don't HAVE anything to do. Its boring to play inno because even when actively roaming around you're just kinda waiting for something to happen to react to it. 

This isn't a case like town of salem or another party game that TTT grew inspiration from where all of the 'innocents/good players' have their own role with unique powers useful for figuring out the bad guys. You have the detective who mostly just reacts to dead bodies and occasionally traitor weapons/c4, innos who just kinda wander around trying to do something and not die, and the Traitors who get to decide everything in the round.

Ironically when gamemodes tried to add more reasons and things for innocent roles to do(Morbus comes to mind) people flocked away from them because it was also generally harder to be the evil role in said gamemodes. This doesn't apply to murder where innocents have even less things they can do than in TTT even if they can 'collect 5 objects to get a gun'(Which take forever to spawn, round is usually over before you can collect 5, some maps don't have any, and usually everyone is gunning for it so the chances of getting 5 before the round is over is effectively null and void).

Edited by Cpt.Haxray
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Cpt.Haxray said:

Your point would matter more if it wasn't for the fact that even if you're actively roaming around as an innocent, you're effectively just a Detective without a DNA scanner or any special tools. TTT's main problem is how innocents don't HAVE anything to do. Its boring to play inno because even when actively roaming around you're just kinda waiting for something to happen to react to it. 

This isn't a case like town of salem or another party game that TTT grew inspiration from where all of the 'innocents/good players' have their own role with unique powers useful for figuring out the bad guys. You have the detective who mostly just reacts to dead bodies and occasionally traitor weapons/c4, innos who just kinda wander around trying to do something and not die, and the Traitors who get to decide everything in the round.

Ironically when gamemodes tried to add more reasons and things for innocent roles to do(Morbus comes to mind) people flocked away from them because it was also generally harder to be the evil role in said gamemodes. This doesn't apply to murder where innocents have even less things they can do than in TTT even if they can 'collect 5 objects to get a gun'(Which take forever to spawn, round is usually over before you can collect 5, some maps don't have any, and usually everyone is gunning for it so the chances of getting 5 before the round is over is effectively null and void).

Unfortunately I haven't played any of those games, but I got a pretty good idea on what you're saying. And I can most definitely understand where you are coming from. If you compare this game mode to other games, I can see how TTT's mechanics can be a little lacking. But personally? I really don't mind that. Some people may find being an innocent to be a boring experience. But me? I really don't mind it.

This does not mean I'm trying to argue with your statements here. For the record, I completely agree with what you say here. All you said is perfectly reasonable and makes sense. But it's kind of like... Well, liking a bad movie. You know the movie is poorly written, poorly shot, etc. But you still love it. That's my relationship with the innocent role. I know being an innocent isn't a role filled with many perks, and a lot of people don't like that. But I personally enjoy it quite a good bit. I was hoping I could convince a few people to think the same way with this post.

Thanks for your response, I always appreciate feedback.