_Rocket_

Weapon Idea: Nail Gun

Do You Like this Idea?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Make the "Nail Gun" a thing?

• Yes, I like this idea.
    • No, I am not on board with this.
    • I am unsure, and would like more information/convincing.
    • I am neutral.
    • I WOULD like this gun to be added if my suggestion (add suggestion below) was put in!

I have a new weapon idea for traitors. A nail gun.

Ever been a traitor and wanted to mow down a bunch of people, but reloading your gun got you killed? Welp, here's a nail gun for ya.

The nail gun will be similar to the H.U.G.E where it has a very large clip and shoots decently fast. However, it does very very minimal damage to the body (roughly 2 damage), but does high damage to the head (maybe 20 or more). This punishes traitors with bad aim, but gives traitors with good aim a way to keep moving if they are playing aggressive.

I think the way I would balance this gun is dependent on two things: spread and fire rate. If there is a faster fire rate, I will likely add a spread to the shots. A slower fire rate will result in less spread.

Let me know what you all think of this gun idea.

• Like 1

Honestly, I enjoyed the HUGE too. However I don't want to ONLY add Detective and Traitor weapons. After just adding one of each, I feel a general use weapon should be next on the list. The nail gun sounds definitely like a special weapon though. So something else. Not sure what though. 

1 hour ago, Lunar Blade said:

Honestly, I enjoyed the HUGE too. However I don't want to ONLY add Detective and Traitor weapons. After just adding one of each, I feel a general use weapon should be next on the list. The nail gun sounds definitely like a special weapon though. So something else. Not sure what though. 

I could possibly develop a general weapon that appears around the map, but that's something for a different time. For now, I think one more traitor weapon is okay. That way it's not always silenced m4a or ak47 all the time every day of the week.

2 hours ago, Supreme leader 049 said:

Oh, I do have one question: would it be loud (like the huge) or quiet?

It's a nail gun so it will probably be rather quiet, but it will have a unique sound that most definitely screams "silent traitor weapon"

• Like 1

For those of you who aren't quite convinced about the Nail Gun, allow me to add some information.

When I made the double barrel and the Revolver, I didn't know what my mindset should've been in the context of there being 32 people in one server where the m4a, p90, etc. existed. I did my best.

However, now I have a much better knowledge about this. So now, I can apply what I have learned to use some theory and ideas in how to make the Nail Gun work.

I have noticed patterns with each traitor weapon and how they are used. The m4a is often used "defensively". Users of this gun tend to keep their use of the m4a a secret, and try to be sneaky. Players like Time are able to use it's precise accuracy and fire rate to snipe people from a distance. But on the other hand, this weapon can be very effective when used aggressively. It does a considerable amount of damage to the body, and a very large chunk to the head. A single traitor can win a round with this gun. It is a very solid all-around weapon that promotes multiple possible playstyles.

The ak47 is very often used aggressively. I find the ak is kind of like a better m16 in some ways. However, I really only see it being used in close quarters combat. That could mean that the gun is more fit for an aggressive playstyle.

And no one uses the Revolver besides Rocket and sometimes MythicalSoldier. Insert sad.

So with all this being said, I have an idea on the role that the Nail Gun will serve.

The nail gun is going to be a cqc (close quarters combat) aggressive traitor weapon. Much like how the ak47 is used. However, there is a few things to consider.

Right now one would assume this weapon will be overpowered. It is going to have a fast fire rate, and do probably 20 damage to the head per shot. With a massive clip, this means you could mow down people pretty quickly. How is this fair?

Simple: Recoil and cones.

Cones are pretty much the guns accuracy. You can imagine there being a cone attached to the barrel of your gun. The bigger this cone is, the more places the bullet can come from. Kind of like a funnel. If there is more room inside the cone, that means the bullet has more places it can fly off too, increasing randomness and decreasing accuracy. The cone becomes more and more noticeable as you travel further away since the cone effectively grows exponentially with distance.

No matter what, the nail gun will have some form of cone to it. This means that sniping with this gun would be a very bad idea. Especially when you consider a body shot will only do 1-2 damage. However, the trade off is the fact that you can keep killing innocents at close range without ever having to worry about reloading. (Unless you run out of ammo lol)

With this in mind, the nail gun is essentially a direct alternative to the m4a. Much like how the barrel is a direct alternative to the p90.

If you want an aggressive playstyle, the Nail Gun is a better option over the m4a because of the clip size. You CAN play aggressive with the m4a if you'd like, but you have to reload because the m4a clip size is limited. So in the end, you will be trading of the range and versatility of the m4a for a short ranged lawn mower.

Oh and before you think "well new players might like this gun then because it gives them a way to go wew". Well, the gun will also have recoil per shot. This means you will have to learn how to compensate and fight against the recoil. Otherwise you will be missing a LOT of shots.

• Like 1

My take on it would be 25 headshot damage and probably 8 body shot damage. (Just numbers that seems semi fitting if you ask me).

Quite precise (around the same as mac-10). With low recoil climb. (Same/hopefully around the same spray cone? as mac-10 that is). <- Up for debate >.<

Each nail has travel distance so it drops to the floor (similar to a harpoon being thrown). So it's strong and effective CQC but range is it's main weakness.

^ This does sound very complex and hard but hey that's my take when I hear "Nail gun" in TTT.

Either way sounds interesting and best of luck with further development! A replacement to huge will be fun to see. (As it's still disabled *thonk*)

Edited by Time
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Time said:

My take on it would be 25 headshot damage and probably 8 body shot damage. (Just numbers that seems semi fitting if you ask me).

Quite precise (around the same as mac-10). With low recoil climb.

Each nail has travel distance so it drops to the floor (similar to a harpoon being thrown). So it's strong and effective CQC but range is it's main weakness.

^ This does sound very complex and hard but hey that's my take when I hear "Nail gun" in TTT.

Either way sounds interesting and best of luck with further development! A replacement to huge will be fun to see. (As it's still disabled *thonk*)

Would making the bullet physics and other various things make things more complicated and require more math and testing? Yes.

Do I care? No not really. I'm a programmer, figuring out complicated shit and solving difficult problems is in my job description.

So in response to your idea, I like it. Making the gun accurate but have bullets fall during travel is smart. I could probably use the exponential growth/decay formula to calculate how fast it falls. (principal*(1+rate)^time) Using the exponential growth formula would allow the nail to travel without hardly any curve at first, but fall progressively faster the longer the bullet is airborn.

In regards to making the physics of this actually work... I am gonna need to experiment and do some research. But I think I can figure it out.

Also, about the 25 damage to the head, that very much depends on when playtesting starts. I have to balance the damage with the fire rate and recoil.

With more damage, it results in a decreased fire rate and a higher recoil per shot.

With less damage, it results in a faster fire rate with decreased recoil per shot.

Stuff I would need to figure out during playtesting. Thanks for your suggestion though, it got me thinking about p h y s i c s. And nails.

• Like 1

Here's the deal everyone. In order for this to become an official project, I need to make sure Pancake wants it, and people in the server wish to see it.

The requirements for this weapon to begin development are as follows:
Pancake needs to approve it ~Not Complete
We need at least 10 people saying "I want this" in the polls ~Not Complete

If you want to see this gun added to the server, try to see if you can't get any others to vote in the poll. Once both of these requirements are met, I'll begin development.

One more yes vote and this thing could begin development. Note I may not start working on it *right* away, but if it is approved I will start it.

This seems like a good idea, I'm all for adding more unique/interesting T weapons. 

I'm not sure exponential bullet drop would be the way to go, parabolic would be more intuitive. (I have no idea how source physics works though so maybe exp works better for gmod.)

Edit: just realised you meant exp for the downward bullet velocity and not the bullet trajectory

I tested a few trajectory formulas in Wolfram and I think if you want it flat with a quick drop off after a certain distance then having the drop be proportional to t^2 or t^3 might be better (higher power = flatter initial slope and sharper drop.)

Edited by Paul.

A sharper drop in the end might make more sense. This is something I'll have to test when I get to it. It might be a while before I get to this though, especially considering what project I just started hahaha. Game Development is time consuming eiuwhebrgdtd5f6r