Ben

Climate Change + other issues discussion thread

To prevent this previous thread being hijacked, I decided to make this thread.

I'll state what I said in the other thread:

Climate change, as example is something that affects us. I believe that it is already happening and evidence is everywhere. 

If you notice something else as evidence this year, we have had heat records in Europe, Alaska, and even a few of those northernmost place on earth. There are a few more things to note with evidence if you Google this, but it is fairly easy to realize that we're causing climate change too quick, which we are undergoing mass extinction event. 

Now, this is open to discuss - what is your thoughts and opinion on Climate Change and other issues like overpopulation? Do you think that it is happening right now, or is it something different?

76561198043643390.png

Global Warming is a thing. We need to just start mass Global Cooling for a while to fix it. Or, hijack the UN and rise up the Regime of Climatism to fix the planet before it dies before I die of old age. I'm Only 14 and I'd probably die of GW instead of something else if not fixed.

[Signature]

Achievements

Posted  Edited by nblock

I'm going to edit this post tomorrow with some more opinions and facts. 

Global warming is a thing, and we should at least try to cool down the planet. But on the other hand, warming is inevitable. There's been a lot of warming and cooling ages for the earth. Take the 2 ice ages for example. Humans are causing a big percentage of warming, but it is inevitable. 

Edited by nblock

Posted  Edited by Time

@TheSadBandit About the "The temperature rises & falls." You still haven't responded to my answer about coral reef bleaching, not enough natural wildfires and algae blooms etc. 

You can't possibly look at the temperature 500 million years ago and compare it to today, the climate was different, the vegetation today compared to then, our atmosphere and so on everything is different. And yes it is part of the earths cycles to go warm and cold but this also proves the point that we're indeed warming the earth up. As you've already pointed out it's supposed to be an ice age but.. have you noticed any permafrost build up northern countries? Or perhaps any new larger ice bodies developing? A lot of the research done on the greenhouse effect is adjusted after our current climate and not the one we had a couple million years ago.

Yes the temperature falls and rises it's natural sure, but research has shown that it doesn't have this bad of an effect on the environment itself as we've experienced the past 50 years or so.

Edited by Time

Posted  Edited by TheSadBandit

image.png.3925e146c44fa8fc91c7ac32d2f3e950.png

I'll just paste this image again. If we look at the past 5,000 years before present, the temperatures are the same, it rises and it falls, it keeps the same trend.

I also did a little bit of research as to what kind of period we are in now. We are in an ice age, and you're right, we do have warmer temperatures, but it's due to us also being in an interglacial period, which is also called Holocene. What happens during Holocene is there are warmer temperatures between the glacial periods (something we are experiencing now), but it's completely normal for Earth's heat & cooling cycles, and has happened in the past. I'm not saying there isn't man-made climate change, but it doesn't affect Earth as much as people claim it does. We also can't create a Global Cooling period, if it happens, it'll be due to natural causes.

As for Antartica, sure, if ALL the ice melted off Antartica, we'd be fucked. But with scientific research dating back millions of years ago, Antartica wasn't always cold, and it was once a land where trees grew, many millions of years ago.

image.thumb.png.0089d22cdab86e9c903295dffebb3643.png

Here's another image, it shows the temperatures relative to the last thousand years in Antartica. The temperature spikes, it rises & drops. Sure, you could say that we've had a huge increase in temperature over the last 50 years, but it's completely normal, and has been happening for hundreds of thousands of years. All this data is gathered by scientists who travel to Antartica (from both US and UK sources) and drill 3kms into the ice sheets and collect ice tubes, which they later collect data from and see the changes in the past & what our future might look like.

We also can't start to justify whether or not the melting in Antartica will cause sea levels to rise, because of the cold temperatures in the Southern Hemisphere near Antartica, melting caps would cause storms, which cause more snowfall. All these environmentalists that have grants make it sound like the end of the world is near, but in reality, it would take hundreds of years for different things to happen: it'll take hundreds, if not thousands of years for Antartica to melt, it will take hundreds of years to gather data whether or not the future of Earth is fucked, and it will take hundreds of years to determine issues that it might cause. True, Earth has risen 1ºC in the past 50 years, but look at the image above, the temperatures rise and drop, and during interglacial periods as the one we are in, there are cold/warm oscillations, which means the temperature will vary from cold/warm. As for the image you showed, the melting ice caps aren't melting at that rate at all. In the past 400,000 years the sea level has risen 120m, which if you do the math is 1m every 3,333 years, which is 0.1m every 33 years, which is 0.0001m every year. I'm no scientist, but 0.0001m increase every year isn't going to affect us as badly as the image you showed, at least not for a couple of generations, which by that time, this "issue" will have been fixed, if not by Earth's natural adaptations, by humans.

Edit: I have class in 10 minutes, I'll answer all other questions when I get some time.

Edited by TheSadBandit

Former Gmod Prop Hunt Admin

Former Media Team Team Leader

Former Media Team GFX Member

Posted  Edited by Joshy - Edit Reason: added image

Just personal curiosity: Why is that first graph scaled so strangely?  The x-axis from right to left goes from 0, 5 thousand, 10 thousand, 20 thousand...  suddenly 200 thousand?  Something similar occurs between 60 and 100 million. 

-----

edit: and several other spots now that  I am looking more closely.

Hopefully it shows up more large and with a white background (you may have to click on its imgur link).

SmRiYDr.png

Edited by Joshy
added image

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

25 minutes ago, Joshy said:

Just personal curiosity: Why is that first graph scaled so strangely?  The x-axis from right to left goes from 0, 5 thousand, 10 thousand, 20 thousand...  suddenly 200 thousand?  Something similar occurs between 60 and 100 million.

Global warming caused it.