Tonyyy

Where should I start?

I've been wanting to learn how to use code/script, but I have no idea where to start. I just want enough knowledge to learn how to successfully manage/run a server, fix problems, etc etc, but before I can do that, I want to learn the basics of Lua. To all the Server Managers and Division Leaders, how did you guys learn? I have never used code in my life and dont understand anything about it. If you guys have any videos/tutorials, please let me know!

(Also, I dont know if this was the right forum to post this or not)

Well the fun thing about programming is the fact that there are many different areas you can choose from. There is software development, web development, scripting, OS development, etc.

If you are wanting to learn how to program for Gmod, you will need to learn GLua.

GLua is the same as Lua, except for a few small extensions and the Gmod library. And of course, Lua is a scripting language. The great thing about many scripting languages? They tend to be "high-level languages". In lamens, that means they have high level compilers. This actually makes it easier to learn the language, since the compiler does a lot more of the work for you.

Unfortunately, you won't find very good GLua tutorials. A lot of the information is either outdated or false. You would have better luck having someone in the development team teach you the basics of GLua. That way you have a more hands on experience.

Though, I do want to mention. If you are interested in learning other languages, I highly suggest starting with either C or Java. Those are incredibly good languages to learn programming, since they help you understand more about how programming works and some of the things that happen in the background of everything. Learning new languages often help me come up with more creative ways to solve a problem in any other languages I use.

If you ever want to learn some stuff, I'm usually available. I won't be able to become a teacher for a few days though, I got hours of recording footage to edit. But when I'm done, I can most definitely help you out 😄

I write programs and stuff.

If you need to contact me, here is my discord tag: Dustin#6688

I am a busy person. So responses may be delayed.

1840045955_Thicco(1).thumb.png.87c04f05633286f3b45b381b4acc4602.png

Essentially, do what Rocket said. If you want to learn specifically just development for a Garry's Mod server (not necessarily Lua, though it is a big part), I personally started with this video series by JackkTutorials. This is a very easy way to learn the basics of running a Garry's Mod server, and even has a tutorial/tutorials on how to run a server on your own computer. It's easy to follow along with, and he made it specifically for learning the basics of it. You can kinda sift through the playlist to find what interests you/what you would make use of, as some of it is exclusive to certain gamemodes.

P.S. His intro is super loud, watch your volume.

Achievements

1 hour ago, _Rocket_ said:

Well the fun thing about programming is the fact that there are many different areas you can choose from. There is software development, web development, scripting, OS development, etc.

If you are wanting to learn how to program for Gmod, you will need to learn GLua.

GLua is the same as Lua, except for a few small extensions and the Gmod library. And of course, Lua is a scripting language. The great thing about many scripting languages? They tend to be "high-level languages". In lamens, that means they have high level compilers. This actually makes it easier to learn the language, since the compiler does a lot more of the work for you.

Unfortunately, you won't find very good GLua tutorials. A lot of the information is either outdated or false. You would have better luck having someone in the development team teach you the basics of GLua. That way you have a more hands on experience.

Though, I do want to mention. If you are interested in learning other languages, I highly suggest starting with either C or Java. Those are incredibly good languages to learn programming, since they help you understand more about how programming works and some of the things that happen in the background of everything. Learning new languages often help me come up with more creative ways to solve a problem in any other languages I use.

If you ever want to learn some stuff, I'm usually available. I won't be able to become a teacher for a few days though, I got hours of recording footage to edit. But when I'm done, I can most definitely help you out 😄

I am currently learning C right now, and I'm starting to understand what variables and data types are (just the basics). I think once I finish learning C, should I go to C++ or Java?

36 minutes ago, _Toxic_ said:

Essentially, do what Rocket said. If you want to learn specifically just development for a Garry's Mod server (not necessarily Lua, though it is a big part), I personally started with this video series by JackkTutorials. This is a very easy way to learn the basics of running a Garry's Mod server, and even has a tutorial/tutorials on how to run a server on your own computer. It's easy to follow along with, and he made it specifically for learning the basics of it. You can kinda sift through the playlist to find what interests you/what you would make use of, as some of it is exclusive to certain gamemodes.

P.S. His intro is super loud, watch your volume.

That's the kind of video I was looking for! I'll be sure to to check it out, thanks for the suggestion!

Posted  Edited by Joshy

Videos are always fun, but the problem with them (in my opinion) is that it's hard to follow through while getting your hands dirty.  It's like going to the gym and watching other people lift; I suppose it does sound like a gamer/GFL thing to do, but jokes aside you're not improving your health, losing weight or gaining muscle from it.

I'd like to share a short series of guides I wrote.  I provide lots of example code and have pictures; I also made a lot of the example code very easy to copy and compile so that the reader can fidget with the code their self and try out the "next steps" very easily.  It starts with C programming here and I think anyone could follow it even if it's their first time.  Something else that's helpful for the reader is that the guides are relatively short; can copy the code and test it in a simple compiler/IDE to see the results right away.  This is important because learning and testing on servers takes a long time and can be challenging for learners to debug; especially if your code has to work and be stable with other plugins.

It has links to the other guides in a series.  If you're already familiar with C programming and can comfortably use conditional statements, loops, arrays and functions, then you might be ready to take it up a notch and use an object-oriented programming language.  I very recently wrote a new guide also providing lots of example code, pictures and videos; it's in Java.

Here's a video from the Java guide showing the result of some code that the reader can copy and compile.

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

On 12/6/2019 at 8:52 AM, Joshy said:

Videos are always fun, but the problem with them (in my opinion) is that it's hard to follow through while getting your hands dirty.  It's like going to the gym and watching other people lift; I suppose it does sound like a gamer/GFL thing to do, but jokes aside you're not improving your health, losing weight or gaining muscle from it.

I'd like to share a short series of guides I wrote.  I provide lots of example code and have pictures; I also made a lot of the example code very easy to copy and compile so that the reader can fidget with the code their self and try out the "next steps" very easily.  It starts with C programming here and I think anyone could follow it even if it's their first time.  Something else that's helpful for the reader is that the guides are relatively short; can copy the code and test it in a simple compiler/IDE to see the results right away.  This is important because learning and testing on servers takes a long time and can be challenging for learners to debug; especially if your code has to work and be stable with other plugins.

It has links to the other guides in a series.  If you're already familiar with C programming and can comfortably use conditional statements, loops, arrays and functions, then you might be ready to take it up a notch and use an object-oriented programming language.  I very recently wrote a new guide also providing lots of example code, pictures and videos; it's in Java.

Here's a video from the Java guide showing the result of some code that the reader can copy and compile.

Thank you so much! I'll be sure to check them out!