Splewt

Splewt has applied for Developer

My Age: 21

My Talent: 

SUMMARY

1+ years of experience in aerospace and defense industries. High performing software developer with proven ability to perform variety of tasks and provide quick solutions. Experience in mission & ground operations. Excellent team player and critical thinking skills.

EXPERIENCE 

2019-08 - Current

Staff Scientist

ASRC Federal, Seabrook, MD

·     Supporting development of machine-learning algorithms for Satellite telemetry data monitoring

·     Meet and collaborate with clients to ascertain desired results

·     Researching and implementing Machine Learning based data trending modules and algorithms in Python

·     Developing web-based data processor for serving satellite telemetry data and trends

2019-04 - 2019-09

Mission Operations Support Team (MOST) Engineering Co-op

ASRC Federal, Suitland, MD

·     Provided software engineering support to various projects at NOAA Satellite Operations Facility (NSOF) and NASA Goddard Spaceflight Center (GSFC)

·     Supported goal of MOST team by creating multiple spacecraft operational utilities & scripts in Python

·     Gained experience working with spacecraft simulator and increased fidelity

·     Received 'Employee of the Month' for May 2019

2018-04 - 2018-12

Engineering Trainee

NAVSEA, Philadelphia, PA

·     Redesigned existing plant management software using LabVIEW and SQLite

·     Developed and tested SQLite database toolset in C# based on requirements

·     Scripted PowerShell and batch files to automatically create Windows Installers for Java Applications via Windows Installer XML (WiX) toolset

LANGUAGES

• Python
  • C#
  • HMTL
  • Javascript
  • SQL
  • InfluxQL
  • C

SOFTWARE

• Git
  • Gitlab
  • Github
  • JIRA
  • Jetbrains IDEs

EDUCATION

• Currently studying Computer Engineering with a Minor in Software Engineering

Hours/Week: Currently work a part time job and in school, so hours may vary. Can easily dedicate as many hours necessary to get the job done

• Like 1
  • Winner 4

Yeah, pretty much lol. Sorry if I went a little overboard. Was just going to post my resume but don't really want personal details out there. 

I've personally never done any sort of game development or modding and have always wanted to learn. For me, getting involved with other developers who've been doing it for awhile alongside having a large community gives me plenty of room to grow.

• Like 1

I would suggest learning things that involve memory management and reverse engineering. A lot of game development and developer positions within gaming communities involve a lot of scripting (which you know well) but also low-level systems and architectures that involve hacky methods -- Simply due to the fact that the game doesnt have any official API for what you want to do, sometimes. This is explicitly important for source mode development since their SourcePawn language is a cover for an underlying C++ architecture -- where if you dont completely understand in depth how C++/C works to the lowest level, you'll find some bugs you wont be able to solve and be limited in what you do efficiently. Aside from that, you look like you are very well suited for learning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LilyShiro said:

I would suggest learning things that involve memory management and reverse engineering. A lot of game development and developer positions within gaming communities involve a lot of scripting (which you know well) but also low-level systems and architectures that involve hacky methods -- Simply due to the fact that the game doesnt have any official API for what you want to do, sometimes. This is explicitly important for source mode development since their SourcePawn language is a cover for an underlying C++ architecture -- where if you dont completely understand in depth how C++/C works to the lowest level, you'll find some bugs you wont be able to solve and be limited in what you do efficiently. Aside from that, you look like you are very well suited for learning.

LilyShiro, I appreciate the input. To give some more insight to my experience, I have done some academic work with memory management in C and also at the byte level on a Linux environment. I'll be even more familiar with C starting next semester due to a Systems Programming course I'm taking. This course introduces computer systems, including interaction of hardware and software through the operating system, from the programmer's perspective. Three fundamental abstractions are emphasized: processes, virtual memory, and files. These abstractions provide programmers a common interface to a wide variety of hardware devices. Topics covered include linking, system level I/O, concurrent programming, and network programming.

Also, I've been reached out to by a member on some suggestions with my application, and from their suggestion, I'll try to put some example code together for y'all and embed a prototype here.

Edited by Splewt
  • Like 1

https://github.com/Splewt/GFL-Page-View-Tracker

Hey all,

Decided to put some example code together. This application tracks unique viewers of any GFL Clan web page that has the viewer footer. Prints out a table of n-most recent viewers on web page at t-interval. Can pass n-users and t-time (seconds) to function to override default of 5 users and 10 seconds.

This is more of a hackish way to do this by using web page elements. I would have used IPS4 api but I'm not sure if I have the auth to access the websites API. If i had access, I could easily do this using the IPS4 API.

Example output of https://gflclan.com/forums/

view_tracker.png

Edited by Splewt
  • Like 1

The code you provided was elegant, simple, thought out, and well formatted.

Hello there Splewt. I do not think we have had a single applicant who has worked in your field. That is honestly really exciting. Right away I'm getting very good signs from this application. Even the small things matter. Your response to LilyShiro was a treat to read. I always love programming discussions.

You may be wondering why it has taken time for us to get back to you. Do not worry, it isn't due to lack of interest. We have had an influx of applications here recently. And the truth is, we can't accept them all. As it stands we don't have very many projects going on development-wise. At the very most we can use a little help in some areas (Unless I'm completely wrong with that statement, feel free to correct me on that @Roy), but nothing major.

With this being said, we have most definitely considered you. Just looking at your example makes me a little excited because I love elegant code. And the fact that you made a demonstration using GFL is already a good sign... Maybe you could help give ideas and solutions to improve our site. Maybe 😄 Just give us some time and we'll get back to you when we can. Thanks for your patience Splewt! Hope your day is going well.

• Like 2

I'm not sure how I missed this application. My apologies. I really like this application.

@SplewtAre you still around? If so, would you be available to talk on Discord via chat? My Discord tag is cdeacon#6401.

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @_Rocket_ and @Roy for replying.

Rocket, I appreciate the input a lot. I understand if a lot of projects are currently not going on and I'm totally okay with that. I'll try to come up with some ideas of my own. Thank you.

Roy, I am still around lol. My Discord tag is Splewt#8442, so keep an eye out for a friend request.

• Like 2