Proditor

All Ages Welcome Server

I'll first preface by saying I am not personally offended, nor am I naive enough to believe it's possible to ever contain the online world...

However with that being said, I have recently noticed a high uptick in foul and offensive/subjective language on this server, moreso than most other ingame communities I am a part of.

Non-related, I have also felt an increase (at certain times of the day) in younger players joining the server more regularly, which is a good thing!  Youth is a great addition to the community and can grow to significant value.  The poor behavior is not from these younger players but rather the elders, and I feel has deterred some younglins recently (generally speaking) from sticking around longer or trying to get more involved in the community. Not calling this "bullying" but everything said and done in-game does set an example of what the GFL community is about. 

Has there ever been consideration to limit extreme language?  The admins currently do a great job shutting down racist comments, but in the long run might be worth considering limitations against other slurs/vulgarity and f-bombs, to encourage a more welcoming server to all. 

Whether this is a separate "all ages" vs "18+" server with specific rules, or simply working to promote better behavior in the current server, I'm not sure... both have +/- associated.  

Just something I've noticed in my time here and felt a discussion could benefit the community in the long run in holding ourselves to a higher standard and level of respect. 

Thoughts?

Now, I agree with some of this. Considering that GMOD/GFL as a whole is open to anybody really, vulgar language is a given. Therefor, it should be allowed, also considering majority of the player base is mature enough to use vulgar language semi-responsibly. Also considering vulgar language doesn't hurt anyone and Steam's TOS is 13+, we shouldn't crackdown on this language. I am open to shutting down all slurs, whether racial or against the LGBTQ+, so as stated, cracking down isn't a given in this situation.

TL;DR We shouldn't close out vulgarity because well, TOS is 13+ and people that age are mature enough but we should get rid of most not if all slurs.

I think before you start taking about respect and vulgarity. You might want to consider your own actions first before trying to make such a change. (A Hitler joke in your profile... really?)

The simple fact is Garry's Mod is not a daycare centre. If a kid plays Garry's Mod and comes on, they know what they are going in to, I don't believe they are that stupid. I didn't play MW2 and expect someone to be nice. It really just breaks down to how mature a child is to handle things, we have plenty of young players and staff that aren't deterred by others actions. I've also found a lot of the vulgarity comes from the young and immature, I can only speak from experience of course.

I don't think restricting adult language won't do anything to assist the server, I actually think it'd do the opposite. Plenty of players like to just come on and goof around with friends and regulars without social restriction. (with exceptions of course)

I'm not trying to shut you down, just giving my thoughts.

"If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen" -Ghandi

• Haha 1

I left, so I can say whatever the fuck I want now.

And that said, fuck is a word you need to get used to. As Vil said, this is the internet. The idea while I was there was to keep things friendly and welcoming, however the use of "curse words" isn't something I feel is unwelcoming at all. It may be because I grew up with a family that cursed left and right around me, but I don't see it as a bad thing. That's not to say that I grew up cursing. I still treated the words as a normal kid would, and only actually said them when singing while I grew up. Even now, I don't curse as much as some people. 

Fuck, Shit, Damn, Ass, Bitch... Often times used in offensive ways, but honestly it's usually just a simple form of expression. To combine what Vil and Waylon said... this is the internet. There is no age rating on the internet because you're dealing with other people. And people are unpredictable. We can keep things from getting to a point of hate, but in no way would I personally even want to attempt to restrict peoples general speech. Hate and Toxicity is one thing. Expression is another. 

• Like 1

i disagree, people are very predictable. Also even if they are using slurs "responsibly" its still a slur, and should not be considered expression, slurs are hurtful regardless of how they are used and shouldn't be tolerated in any way, shape, or form. other forms of cussing are fine, unless used excessively, so it shouldn't really be a problem.

• Like 2

I don't play rotation, but it is indeed against the rules in general for disrespect or any form is just plain toxicity as explained by Kettermelon. It just really depend on the staff members if they want to enforce the rules against it. Some staff members don't care and then you have others who do care. I understand that it's the internet, but I'm pretty sure if someone ask you to stop, I hope they stop. I mean, it may hurt others or the fact they don't want to hear swearing and they just want to play. If it's over the mic, you can just client mute by holding tab and clicking the speaker to gag them on your end. If it's in chat, then oof. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bae said:

I don't play rotation, but it is indeed against the rules in general for disrespect or any form is just plain toxicity as explained by Kettermelon. It just really depend on the staff members if they want to enforce the rules against it. Some staff members don't care and then you have others who do care. I understand that it's the internet, but I'm pretty sure if someone ask you to stop, I hope they stop. I mean, it may hurt others or the fact they don't want to hear swearing and they just want to play. If it's over the mic, you can just client mute by holding tab and clicking the speaker to gag them on your end. If it's in chat, then oof. 

It's both...you hate to mute people in a game like TTT where doing so can alter the entire game experience (ie call out kos, etc).  Across all staff, do an excellent job shutting down racism but it ends there.

6 hours ago, Lunar Blade said:

I left, so I can say whatever the fuck I want now.

And that said, fuck is a word you need to get used to. As Vil said, this is the internet. The idea while I was there was to keep things friendly and welcoming, however the use of "curse words" isn't something I feel is unwelcoming at all. It may be because I grew up with a family that cursed left and right around me, but I don't see it as a bad thing. That's not to say that I grew up cursing. I still treated the words as a normal kid would, and only actually said them when singing while I grew up. Even now, I don't curse as much as some people. 

Fuck, Shit, Damn, Ass, Bitch... Often times used in offensive ways, but honestly it's usually just a simple form of expression. To combine what Vil and Waylon said... this is the internet. There is no age rating on the internet because you're dealing with other people. And people are unpredictable. We can keep things from getting to a point of hate, but in no way would I personally even want to attempt to restrict peoples general speech. Hate and Toxicity is one thing. Expression is another. 

Yes, I am not against basic language... ass, damn, hell, shit are not the issue... "shit" is even in the  game sometimes when you fall to your death.  

More so directed at slurs such as homophobic ones, 'bitch' - only when directed at someone (not calling someone an SOB, but specifically people calling female members or guests a bitch/cunt), and mass spamming of 'fuck'.  There are a handful of members who regularly scream it into the mic and/or is almost every other word in their dialog. 

Again, I am not personally offended by any of this... I'm the least protected individual in the world... white, straight, middle-class, male.  Just looking to avoid deterrence towards potential members, potential donations and community contributors. 

8 hours ago, Waylon Smithers said:

I think before you start taking about respect and vulgarity. You might want to consider your own actions first before trying to make such a change. (A Hitler joke in your profile... really?)

The simple fact is Garry's Mod is not a daycare centre. If a kid plays Garry's Mod and comes on, they know what they are going in to, I don't believe they are that stupid. I didn't play MW2 and expect someone to be nice. It really just breaks down to how mature a child is to handle things, we have plenty of young players and staff that aren't deterred by others actions. I've also found a lot of the vulgarity comes from the young and immature, I can only speak from experience of course.

I don't think restricting adult language won't do anything to assist the server, I actually think it'd do the opposite. Plenty of players like to just come on and goof around with friends and regulars without social restriction. (with exceptions of course)

I'm not trying to shut you down, just giving my thoughts.

"If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen" -Ghandi

I think  you might want to consider the difference between a personal profile and public server.  You have to take a high level of effort to seek out my direct profile and if you don't like it you don't visit it again, but it doesn't hurt the community or the server.  A public server whether just passing through, a frequent player, or a member is significantly different holding a much larger reach of potential.  No one is quitting GFL bc of my profile.  And come on... that KD is legit lol.

As just mentioned before, in my other reply, not looking to shut down, just thinking we (all members, not just admins), need to be more mindful of our respect levels in-game and help to remind people/promote not just a server of inclusion but also integration.  Specifically homophobic, direct verbal or chat attacks against a person, sexist remarks, etc.

Thanks for the input Waylon, much appreciated!

*edit* @Waylon SmithersI did not realize the KD showed up under name on anything I comment/post.  I have pushed that back deeper into my profile so cannot be seen unless specifically visited.  Thanks for bringing that to attention!

Edited by Proditor

The only thing I can agree with you so far is calling female members "bitch", or "cunt" as that's inherently offensive. Bitch is iffy though, and depends on context. "Don't be a bitch" is just... eh. Only a problem if used intentionally to degrade a female player. Spamming Fuck I don't think is a problem, but to be completely honest with you it'd be situational. I'd have to personally witness it to give you a solid opinion on that one. To reiterate my point above, the idea is to keep people from being toxic and hateful. The use of general common language is fine. Saying Fuck a lot might be annoying, but uh well. Everything else should fall under toxicity or harassment.

• Like 1

I think some comments here turned into oh toxicity shouldn't be allowed, Well it isnt Im a firm believer in that and more strict than other staff when it comes to that. But Getting rid of people freedom to say words i'm strongly..Removing slurs and vulgarity I guarantee YOU I promise The server will be much worse off as teenagers ( who all basically have some sort of vulgarity in there vocab)will leave including myself If we put a ban on swearing the server will become all kids and no teens and no adults, Who wants to play on a server where you actually cant use your own vocab. As for kids I see kids on both rot and mc Quite a lot and None of them seem to care in the slightest and a couple are potty mouths themselves. Calling a women a bitch or saying go f off this all falls under toxicity which is something most admins will deal with including myself. But just stopping people from going " hey bro wtfs going on " Im so strongly against. And while you said " no one is quitting gfl cause of my profile" No one is quitting cause they heard an f bomb.( Someone may say " Well sure no one is quitting but they wont want to join" Gmod which is mostly teens and above would say the same to no swearing or vulgar language at all)  My conclusion is, You cant take away peoples vocabulary. Theres a fine clear line between swearing and insulting someone.

( My opinion )

Edited by Reverb

2 hours ago, Reverb said:

I think some comments here turned into oh toxicity shouldn't be allowed, Well it isnt Im a firm believer in that and more strict than other staff when it comes to that. But Getting rid of people freedom to say words i'm strongly..Removing slurs and vulgarity I guarantee YOU I promise The server will be much worse off as teenagers ( who all basically have some sort of vulgarity in there vocab)will leave including myself If we put a ban on swearing the server will become all kids and no teens and no adults, Who wants to play on a server where you actually cant use your own vocab. As for kids I see kids on both rot and mc Quite a lot and None of them seem to care in the slightest and a couple are potty mouths themselves. Calling a women a bitch or saying go f off this all falls under toxicity which is something most admins will deal with including myself. But just stopping people from going " hey bro wtfs going on " Im so strongly against. And while you said " no one is quitting gfl cause of my profile" No one is quitting cause they heard an f bomb.( Someone may say " Well sure no one is quitting but they wont want to join" Gmod which is mostly teens and above would say the same to no swearing or vulgar language at all)  My conclusion is, You cant take away peoples vocabulary. Theres a fine clear line between swearing and insulting someone.

( My opinion )

Totally respect this. Sorry if OP came off as freedon slaying lol...I truly meant moreso along sexist, homophobic, etc and EXTREME abuse of language.  Unfortunately it is at current discretion (and at the time mood) of the online admin which mostly limits to only racists comments.

I am just as guilty of random bro wtfs or getting caught as a T and an well f me comment here and there as the next person.

As a long(ish) time visitor and a fairly new regular member, I just wanted to bring a little attention to the community and get everyone's thoughts and opinions on it all.  Again full respect to everyone's opinion and I really do value all the input.  Appreciate everyone chiming in!!

• Like 1