Paul.

Paul. has applied for Developer

My Age: 24

My Talent: 

My background is in science so that's where most of my programming comes from. I started learned java and really enjoyed it and then moved on to python and matlab as well as arduino coding for robotics/sensing. 

My projects have usually been heavily math based, such as plotting  solutions to complex field equations and generating equation based masks for optics fabrication. 

Recently I decided to get into lua development as I wanted to make some traitor weapons. I started by decompiling some addons I was a fan of and realised I could read along and follow the code very easily.

For the past 2/3 weeks I've been developing a traitor weapon gmod ttt. It's a rocket launcher which fires Bullet bills in two sizes, the larger of which scans for players infront off and within a certain range and then slowly turns towards them. 

This project has forced me to learn a lot about how mod handles collisions/traces/player interactions and more and I think I've picked it up fairly well. I'll include a link to the workshop page and I'll add the GitHub link for it later as well (on my phone at the moment.) 

Bullet Bill addon: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1988998212&searchtext=Bullet+bill+ttt

I work well as part of a team and I learn fast. Although I spend most of my time on TTT rotation I'm happy to help out with any other aspects of development that GFL needs.

Please feel free to ask my any questions you have or pm me here or on discord (TTTPaul) if you want to chat.

Thanks for your consideration,

Paul

Hours/Week: 6+

• Like 4

Here is the code for the Bullet Bill project, I've added a file Original Code where I've dropped the main functions I made myself with some extra comments.

https://github.com/PaulC95/ttt_BulletBill

This was my first attempt at Lua scripting so its a little messy and almost all the filenames and paths are still left over from the original addon I used as a template. I will be going through and cleaning this up but I thought I should post this version so you can see my approach.

As I said before my background is science and in research labs the goal is get something working fast and then improve on it later. With code this often means don't reinvent the wheel, if someone else has written what you need (or close to it) then use that for now and figure out how you need to change it later.

I tested a few different rocket launcher addons from the workshop and found one I liked, I then looked at a few different Bullet Bill models until I found a good one. 

The next step was to replace the original missile files with the Bullet Bill models and get that working.

Once I had a rocket firing bullet bills I then had to figure out how gmod handles collisions, this lead to me writing the code inside the ENT:PhysicsCollide function (in Original Code). 

The next step was to get the bullet bills to track players. My first attempt was just have them find a player and point towards them which worked but looked really wonky and was impossible to avoid. I decided to have them turn towards their target player more smoothly, this is the code inside the Track() function.

After the functionality was there all that was needed was tweaking the values for balanced gameplay and then hopefully getting some feedback from a live server.

I'd like to see Paul as a Developer for GMod TTT, he capable and smiley face.

• Like 4