_Rocket_

Game Development Project, help me playtest!

So right now I have a very very very bare bones version of my game development project I'm working on. This game will be submitted to steam once complete. And I could use some help quickly playtesting the game!

playtest.zip

Follow the directions in READTHISUFAF.txt after you download and unzip the zip file.

My main focus is if the game launches correctly (may be buggy on mac and linux, even using wine. main focus is if it launches on windows and works) and how you think the player feels and controls.

I write programs and stuff.

If you need to contact me, here is my discord tag: Dustin#6688

I am a busy person. So responses may be delayed.

1840045955_Thicco(1).thumb.png.87c04f05633286f3b45b381b4acc4602.png

Guest Saizy

Will definitely get back to this later, posting to save time getting back here!

lol the computer needs some form of binary to execute, of course there's a .exe

Guest Saizy

I tried to play it, but I clicked the second control option assuming that 'W' was jump, but instead it was Left Mouse Click?
Secondly, there is too much 'slide' when you land, especially if you hold the 'd' or 's' key after you land, not even reaction time to stop.
Thirdly, the wall jumping is REALLY finicky and I gave up before I even got past that part.

Posted  Edited by _Rocket_
21 minutes ago, Saizy said:

I tried to play it, but I clicked the second control option assuming that 'W' was jump, but instead it was Left Mouse Click?
Secondly, there is too much 'slide' when you land, especially if you hold the 'd' or 's' key after you land, not even reaction time to stop.
Thirdly, the wall jumping is REALLY finicky and I gave up before I even got past that part.

You don't click to select an option in the input method select. You press the button that's inside the (), like (W) to select WASD. I might need to hint at that on the screen.

The looseness is on purpose. It's kind of like super meat boy and how the character controlled in that game. It's fast paced. I purposely designed it that way. It forces the player to learn how the character controls, and how to utilize the movement properly. Movement accelerates and decelerates... Kind of like Mario. If there was no acceleration/deceleration the movement would feel clunky if not unresponsive.

I was worried people were going to try and wall jump on that part first. I might need to reconsider how I handle that part. You aren't supposed to wall jump there. You're supposed to time the jump to land inside that toggling block in the middle. Then time your jump to jump out of the block when it disables.

Wall jumping is supposed to be an advanced mechanic. Wall hoping is a 5 frame window, wall jumping is a frame perfect window.

I think I know how I'll teach the player about jumping inside alternating blocks beforehand. It'll be subtle but it should be enough for the player to notice it, and utilize it when that part comes in.

Edited by _Rocket_

Guest Saizy
6 minutes ago, _Rocket_ said:

You don't click to select an option in the input method select. You press the button that's inside the (), like (W) to select WASD. I might need to hint at that on the screen.

The looseness is on purpose. It's kind of like super meat boy and how the character controlled in that game. It's fast paced. I purposely designed it that way. It forces the player to learn how the character controls, and how to utilize the movement properly. Movement accelerates and decelerates... Kind of like Mario. If there was no acceleration/deceleration the movement would feel clunky if not unresponsive.

I was worried people were going to try and wall jump on that part first. I might need to reconsider how I handle that part. You aren't supposed to wall jump there. You're supposed to time the jump to land inside that toggling block in the middle. Then time your jump to jump out of the block when it disables.

Wall jumping is supposed to be an advanced mechanic. Wall hoping is a 5 frame window, wall jumping is a frame perfect window.

I think I know how I'll teach the player about jumping inside alternating blocks beforehand. It'll be subtle but it should be enough for the player to notice it, and utilize it when that part comes in.

A tutorial will drastically help lol, I was trying to play it like a Mario game.

Yeah I'm gonna second the idea of some sort of tutorial. I did discover going inside the  block, but kept opting for wall jumping to try and get it right. Very tedious and specific, took me a while to figure it out. One other thing I'll say, is that when hitting a corner of a block, it will reset your cube to some side of it.

E.g. Jumping up into the corner of the "ceiling" block near the part where we tried to wall jump, teleports your cube to be completely flush with it. Something similar when I was making a jump. I had failed but I was close enough to the platform that it teleported me up there.

d3ni3d.JPG

ripreaper.thumb.JPG.fc4822e9019e5adf1d9b7525ce37b72c.JPG