Rosalina ♥

How to change CSS sounds

Posted  Edited by Jesse Is Jiving - Edit Reason: Clarification on closing audacity

What will be covered in this guide

In this guide I will walk you through the basics of changing CSS sounds. This will only work with CSS Game Content Fix Addon.

For this guide, I will be replacing the Deagle shot with a Heavy Door Closing sound

What you will need

* = things I will get to later in the guide

The sound file you want replaced (from CSS Content)*

The sound file you want to use instead*

Audacity (for sound cropping/converting) Official Site

Step One: Finding the sound you want to replace

This step should be fairly simple, as the files are very organized.

All sounds are located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\addons\CSS_Game_Content*\sound

*note that this folder may be named something different

Since I'm looking for the Deagle shot sound, I'd go to *\sound\weapons\deagle\

The sounds here should be labelled to explain what they are. Weapon firing sounds should be <weapon name>-1.wav, so in this case it's named deagle-1.wav

If you're having trouble finding a sound, you can first navigate to the \sounds\ folder, then using the search function of the file browser.

If you still can't find a specific sound, I'll be happy to help locate it.

Once you find the file, make a copy of it and store it in a safe place (Like in a folder in Documents named "Original_GMod_Sounds") just in case you decide you want the old sounds back.

Step Two: Find the sound file you want to use instead

These can be attained in many ways. Ripping from a YouTube video, a song you have on your computer, a sound from a sound library, a sound of you screaming into a microphone, and anything in-between. Just be careful where you download, and make sure you're sources are trustworthy and always use an adblocker.

The file extension doesn't matter, but it'd help if it's already a .wav

I already have the sound file on my computer, so I wont need to download a new one.

Step Three: Cropping, Fading, Converting and Exporting

This is where we use Audacity. We will be cropping the sound down (if needed), making the sound fade out (so it fits with the other sounds better), and Converting/Exporting the file as a .wav file.

I will make another guide on how to prepare a sound for Garry's Mod at a later date. For now, however, I will only go over exporting.

To export the file, go to File>Export>Export as WAV

image.png.c22d827f9df11d5f442faad7368d097a.png

image.png.34b1cfe277f3d68e7d96e87446e9b4c2.png

navigate to the sound you want to replace and click on it. The name should auto-populate. Click save and, when prompted, confirm replacing the file.

At this point audacity can be closed and, when prompted, you can select to quit without saving.

Step Four: Load into Garry's Mod

Now all that's left to do is start Garry's Mod. The sound should be replaced and ready for use!

I will be more than happy to answer any questions regarding this guide, so don't be afraid to ask! I'll answer as quick as I can!

Edited by Jesse Is Jiving
Clarification on closing audacity

RosaSignature1.thumb.png.b6809595ab04786c0ec6f011b9d1f862.png

Nice tutorial! 😄

It might be worthwhile to include the motivation for changing sounds as part of your introduction since I am personally a little unsure about why you would want  to do this, haha, but perhaps this is just because I don't play that much anymore.

Wanna know what I am up to? Take a look at my personal Trello board or my cards on the Development Trello board!

9 hours ago, Nick said:

Nice tutorial! 😄

It might be worthwhile to include the motivation for changing sounds as part of your introduction since I am personally a little unsure about why you would want  to do this, haha, but perhaps this is just because I don't play that much anymore.

The motivation is some sounds are too loud for some, and some just want to spice up their game! Why have boring old fall damage sounds when you can have a fish screaming "MY LEG" or a lowly D-Class screaming as their femurs are crushed with immense force.

RosaSignature1.thumb.png.b6809595ab04786c0ec6f011b9d1f862.png

• 1 month later...