VilhjalmrF

Purging General Subforum

Posted  Edited by VilhjalmrF

I'll just get to the point. Trading and Giveaway subforum are useless. No one has used it in for more than a month. (Now yes Ik not everyone can just do a giveaway every week or so but is there a chance that we can move it if Staff don't want it removed?) The News subforum can be under Announcements or General Discussions. News is literally just a discussion forum that perfectly fits in one of the two instead of it being it's own subforum.

Capture.thumb.PNG.3ab29b0d3b86ff09934833d89407da5b.PNG

Pros:

• Not clutter.
  • Seems cleaner.
  • Not having a useless forum.

Cons:

• No giveaways? (again we can probably move it if no one wants it gone so it doesn't take much space.)

I'm gonna suggest more "purges" for other subforums soon. For now I just want to see what we can do for the top page.

Edited by VilhjalmrF

Average HL2RP Enjoyer.

Achievements

A lot of the subforums are unused or has very little activity.

Another subforum that isn't needed is "music". Most of music sharing is done through Discord.

original.gif

Achievements

To appeal to newer users, it'd probably be best to order the sections according to what would most likely apply to / interest them, it seems we don't have it laid out with this in mind. For instance, I almost never browse News, Giveaways and Trading, and I'm sure many can say the same considering what the activity looks like. However, it'd be very convenient if it were easier to see sections like Projects and GFL's Network, those seem much more relevant to the community. That would make it easier for people to see what's going on and stay informed. There may be better examples than those, but eyeballing it, those look much more important.

You could argue that any effect it'd have would be marginal and that's totally fair, I'm just arguing from a logical standpoint. It seems needless to keep such dead / irrelevant sections towards the top of the forums and have some seemingly more important sections scattered elsewhere.

I don't think you need to remove any section altogether unless it's insanely inactive, but I think some reorganization should at least be considered.

Giveaways is more active that trading. Personally I do agree that it should be either removed or moved to another section. Giveaways could just fall under general discussion section. That's the closest I think it can go to. Music should or could merge with Art since they're technically the same thing or a type of Art. News most definitely needs to remove since it's not as useful as it used to be.

pfs.gif.0454852536d8143a5e368e9f7a24a8a4.gif

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

I appreciate the ideas in this thread, and some of the plans that I have are similar to those in the original post, just moving fairly inactive crap out of the way; or just merging it with something else (which is in essence "removing" it with extra steps, I guess). I'm working towards making topics to propose changes to all forums and most permissions (which also involves new groups), but figuring out what is possible and not in that regard is tough, as it requires a lot of updating of old forums, menus, groups and in some cases - plugins (such as the forms plugin, which will hopefully be updated soon...). All while consulting Team Leaders, Server Managers, Division Leaders and Directors (yuck, imagine being one of those).

Please do keep in mind, we're working with some fucking jank systems here. There's a lot to handle in terms of forum management because it hasn't been dealt with properly for years. It takes extra long as I'm creating documentation and guides to go along with most things, so that things don't get out of line in future as they have now. Appeals to emotion 101.

Kisses and hugs.

Contact me here or on Discord @Liloz01#9857

For help with anything Forum related: 

1 hour ago, Liloz01 said:

I appreciate the ideas in this thread, and some of the plans that I have are similar to those in the original post, just moving fairly inactive crap out of the way; or just merging it with something else (which is in essence "removing" it with extra steps, I guess). I'm working towards making topics to propose changes to all forums and most permissions (which also involves new groups), but figuring out what is possible and not in that regard is tough, as it requires a lot of updating of old forums, menus, groups and in some cases - plugins (such as the forms plugin, which will hopefully be updated soon...). All while consulting Team Leaders, Server Managers, Division Leaders and Directors (yuck, imagine being one of those).

Please do keep in mind, we're working with some fucking jank systems here. There's a lot to handle in terms of forum management because it hasn't been dealt with properly for years. It takes extra long as I'm creating documentation and guides to go along with most things, so that things don't get out of line in future as they have now. Appeals to emotion 101.

Kisses and hugs.

Ez fix we purge everything and start from scratch. But shitty jokes aside good luck man. I know that the forums has been messy for a long while now. Wish you the best. Much love.

Average HL2RP Enjoyer.

Achievements

• 2 months later...

Hello good sir, how is the progress of fixing the janky forums? @Liloz01

Asking for a friend! (Totally won't hit you with more suggestions after this haha! No promises.)

Average HL2RP Enjoyer.

Achievements

No, get mad. (other more pressing issues exist, like fucked permissions, which you guys don't even see... for the time being, this issue is really quite low priority)

17 minutes ago, Liloz01 said:

No, get mad. (other more pressing issues exist, like fucked permissions, which you guys don't even see... for the time being, this issue is really quite low priority)

I am now upset because you told me to.

Average HL2RP Enjoyer.

Achievements

• 1 month later...

To give an update... still not even close to finishing with Team/Division Forums. There's extra complications that I can't really talk about... to get more of the manual labour out of the way, I may be enlisting the help of some people I trust.

• 1 year later...

Should have responded much sooner; it's been cleaned up for a while! Moving to implemented. If you have any other suggestions, please post a new topic.