Ben

[Discord Bot] Utility Bot Economy

Hi, I've been thinking about the bot's economy. This thread is going to be designed as a discussion and a notice of changes regarding to the bot's economy.

For starter:

• I've changed `.timely` rating to have 2,500 GFL bucks every 12 hours
  • There will be a monthly wipes
    • With this in regard, a new role will be made as a reward called "Moneybag💰" on Main Discord which will goes to the person with the highest amount of money
  • A new currency icon will be made by @Salad - themed in GFL on the banknote.
  • There'll be a weekly(ish) event on the currency that'll last a few hours or more. Will average about 1,000 to 1,500 GFL bucks

The economy wipe won't start until sometime in September, definitely not on the first and second week of the month.

Any inputs on this change? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

76561198043643390.png

One of my concerns would be the monthly wipes. My personal opinion is that I wouldn't see the point in putting any time/effort into the bot economy if I'm just going to have to start over in a few weeks. So instead, I'd suggest quarterly wipes. 3 months is long enough that it wouldn't feel like messing with the bot is pointless, but also not too long that someone who gets first then stops won't just get a free first place forever. It also gives time for others to join the bot thing and try to catch up. 

Posted  Edited by _Rocket_ - Edit Reason: grammar r hard

One idea. Theoretically, the moment someone receives the moneybag role there will no longer be a reason for that person to try and earn more money.

I'd recommend you store how many times someone had the highest amount of money before a wipe. If someone wins, you can give them the role AND increment their "Moneybag Wins" counter. And if they want to check/show off their win count, they can input a command like .checkWins or something and it'll display their win count.

If they win another time in the future (aka they already have the moneybag role) you can just increment their counter.

As a matter of fact, since you are using a discord bot you could just program an admin only command named .rewardPlayer or something. The bot can automatically assign the moneybag role to the person you provide and increment their win counter. That way you don't have to worry about checking if a person has the role when rewarding them.

Edited by _Rocket_
grammar r hard

I write programs and stuff.

If you need to contact me, here is my discord tag: Dustin#6688

I am a busy person. So responses may be delayed.

1840045955_Thicco(1).thumb.png.87c04f05633286f3b45b381b4acc4602.png

4 hours ago, Lunar Blade said:

One of my concerns would be the monthly wipes. My personal opinion is that I wouldn't see the point in putting any time/effort into the bot economy if I'm just going to have to start over in a few weeks. So instead, I'd suggest quarterly wipes. 3 months is long enough that it wouldn't feel like messing with the bot is pointless, but also not too long that someone who gets first then stops won't just get a free first place forever. It also gives time for others to join the bot thing and try to catch up. 

Fair. I am considering to change it into once every 3 months for the wipe. 

I've discovered to use shop command which will be utilized for folks to buy, as they are used as item display.  This will help to get people playing, grinding for the items at ridicously high price, for example, at 1 million to 500 million. Common items can be priced at 1,000 to 750,000 GFL Bucks. 

25 minutes ago, _Rocket_ said:

One idea. Theoretically, the moment someone receives the moneybag role there will no longer be a reason for that person to try and earn more money.

I'd recommend you store how many times someone had the highest amount of money before a wipe. If someone wins, you can give them the role AND increment their "Moneybag Wins" counter. And if they want to check/show off their win count, they can input a command like .checkWins or something and it'll display their win count.

If they win another time in the future (aka they already have the moneybag role) you can just increment their counter.

As a matter of fact, since you are using a discord bot you could just program an admin only command named .rewardPlayer or something. The bot can automatically assign the moneybag role to the person you provide and increment their win counter. That way you don't have to worry about checking if a person has the role when rewarding them.

Unfortunately, the bot is written in C# and it is already complicated enough, so I will not be editing the bot from its source. I feel like that we're lucky enough that the bot is able to run on Linux. 

Source Code: https://gitlab.com/Kwoth/nadekobot

I don't believe that we'll have a custom bot designed for entertainment and games, though. 

76561198043643390.png

@Ben hm. Okay well, that's only for the nadeko bot. We have our own bots right? We can implement the reward functionality into our own bot, save the win counts into our own database (if that is possible).

2 minutes ago, _Rocket_ said:

@Ben hm. Okay well, that's only for the nadeko bot. We have our own bots right? We can implement the reward functionality into our own bot, save the win counts into our own database (if that is possible).

Correct, we have our own bot, Nadeko and GearBot (Moderation Bot) are only bots that were created by other developers outside GFL. I would personally prefer to have a custom bot solely for entertainment and games. I know that I said that we wouldn't have it, but if it can spark the activity for our Discords by bot commands, fun games, trivia, etc., then I wouldn't mind adding another one to self-host on our Discord Bot VM. 

76561198043643390.png

Posted  Edited by _Rocket_

@Ben I have a library that allows you to create massive multiplayer games, where people across all GFL servers can play multiplayer games together. It's not perfect, I think it can be re-written one more time once I get the chance to. But it still does its job. I could help run the Developer through how to use the library and make some pretty spicci stuff.

And no it's not the JDA only version. I made a new library that can be used on all languages.

Edited by _Rocket_

• 1 month later...

Utility Bot's currency system will be wiped this coming Friday. Timely amount might be slightly reduced to 750 748977892301471794.png?v=1. There will be a giveaway on the Main Discord, counting about 750 748977892301471794.png?v=1 and there may be a potential system that allows users to get colored roles + XP roles (Discord Message Link) following the wipe. 

76561198043643390.png

Posted  Edited by Joshy

The overall idea is short and sweet, and I think it is a good one.  It's a fun idea that will drive a little bit of activity without being too intricate or ridiculous.  I think by itself the once every 3 months  is a reasonable wipe; I think it works on other servers with the level schemes.

I don't think it would be a stretch to add a little something else: I would recommend adding a bonus outside of Discord to attract people into Discord.  This would help prevent the cannibalism strategies I spoke of in the past; otherwise you're only going to get winners who are already part of the in crowd in Discord.

I would try to add something so that the winner can be seen on the forums ie. have their title rain $ signs just like we have for VIP with stars or glitter.  This would also make the shorter timeline more interesting and fun (if we wanted a monthly wipe).  I think the shorter wipes would give more people a chance to win and keep the competition a little more exciting... otherwise we'll probably have always the same people winning and after 6-7 weeks people will sputter out and give up.

I think we are not using badges properly and this might be another area where wiping might make it more okay.  I think we should be able to stackable badges; not make a new one every month or so neither make it transferable.  I wont take credit for this on my own people seemed to really like this in an older community I was a part of.  It looks we have the setup in place and just need to massage it a bit to use it.  Here's what they had:

58iTnKa.png

We can place it here and use it for all sorts of things here

AoF8D7F.png

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152