phoenix_

Add Map Lists?

Hey,

Something I think that would be very useful for both staff and players is to add a map list for servers on CS:GO, CS:S, and GMOD. This would allow players to download maps manually (by having the map download link hyperlinked to the name), allow players to see what maps are already on the server in the case they wanted to suggest a map, and would allow for staff to prune through less played maps with ease if need be. This would take a large amount of work, but I think would be worth it. 

Posted  Edited by Joshy

Has been suggested several times before.  I don't remember why nothing happened?  It didn't seem like anyone was against it... just seem to sputter and fade away.  You might see other verbiage used for it such as "map pack"

edit:

I'd also like to make it clear, that I support this idea.

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Well, specifically on GMOD, most of the servers uses FastDL so it already downloads the same map that is implimented onto the server. So when they connect, it auto-download the map. Two of the servers that we have on Gmod uses steam workshop link, so we just give them that link and they just download themselves directly from it. I don't know how it is it for CS:GO and CS:S but that's how it is done manually or automatically. 

pfs.gif.0454852536d8143a5e368e9f7a24a8a4.gif

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

30 minutes ago, Bae said:

Well, specifically on GMOD, most of the servers uses FastDL so it already downloads the same map that is implimented onto the server. So when they connect, it auto-download the map. Two of the servers that we have on Gmod uses steam workshop link, so we just give them that link and they just download themselves directly from it. I don't know how it is it for CS:GO and CS:S but that's how it is done manually or automatically. 

AFAIK, most community servers for most Steam games use FastDL. The purpose of the list would just be there for reference at any time, just something that you can use when you need it, and forget it's there when you don't need it.

Posted  Edited by Infra - Edit Reason: e

I definitely support the idea of having the map-cycle listed on each server's respective sub-forum! (If not already available)

However, hyperlinking each map to their file download? That is an insane amount of work for something that's really not worth the effort - especially if we're talking about sub-divisions that host gigantic map cycles. Instead, players should just be redirected to the FastDL index (or the Steam workshop) to download any maps manually if they wish.

What has been done for CSGO KZ and Surf is a pinned post in their respective sub-forums linking to a spreadsheet of all maps currently being tracked/hosted, along with any notes about their status. Just for perspective, KZ is tracking over 550 maps in total, with SurfTimer easily topping that number. As you can probably tell, hyperlinking each map to their FastDL file download is a bit of an extreme task to undertake. :P

Apart from this, it certainly is something that should be made standard. Unsure if there are even any servers that don't have their map cycles easily available in the first place, at least I don't think there are any on the CS:GO side.

:happytree:

Edited by Infra
e

Discord: Infra#0001 | Steam: /id/infra- | GitHub: /1zc

Executive Director & CS:GO Division Leader          

Server Manager of CS:GO KZ

image_10.png