Male_08

Breach is Blacklisted

Posted  Edited by reme leader 049

Can we like uhhhh get face punch people or whoever does stuff to unblacklist Breach? Thanks!!!!!!

Edited by reme leader 049

I just want to clarify the situation a bit more since I'm sure some of you are wondering why we were blacklisted. We're not exactly sure what the reason is yet since Facepunch hasn't replied to my ticket yet. However, we're suspecting it is due to A2S_INFO caching we have enabled for Breach and a majority of our other servers at the moment.

If you're wondering what A2S_INFO caching is and what it does to our servers along with why we have it on to begin with, I'd recommend checking out this post along with reading this Google Doc. You can also read this post for more information on the technical benefits of caching the A2S_INFO response on our POPs. I want to make quite clear that this decision was made entirely by me when deploying the network and I take full responsibility of it. It was obviously quite a hard decision to make and you can read what my thought process was in the Google Doc linked earlier. However, this is the final decision I went with.

Servers using a specific hosting provider in Garry's Mod have been doing this for three to four years now. These included a lot of the top servers in GMod (now and back then). Late last year, Facepunch finally started cracking down on servers using the A2S_INFO caching and blacklisted our servers first. We were complying with them and disabled the caching at this time. Eventually, though, they blacklisted the servers that have been doing this for years. Since this included a lot of the top servers, a big outrage occurred from the server owners and players. This resulted in them being unbanned and no further action has been taken against servers using the A2S_INFO caching until today (most likely). From what I was told, Facepunch apparently said they weren't banning for this. Therefore, we re-enabled the caching.

The part most frustrating about this is how inconsistent Facepunch has been. I reported these servers a couple years ago before our Anycast network was even a thing. All of this is heavily documented here and Facepunch themselves said they couldn't do anything about this because it was a Valve/Steam issue (Valve didn't want to either as documented in the project I linked above). However, late last year Facepunch started cracking down on servers which is fine. I completely understand why they would and also why players would hate/report servers doing this (you can direct all the hate towards me if you want). Though, of course, when they finally performed action against the servers doing this for years, they backed out and unbanned everybody after complaints.

All I really want is consistency from Facepunch over this. As I said though, it isn't confirmed if A2S_INFO caching is the cause. However, I'm pretty sure it is.