Dominic

Post Reactions

I agree I don't know what a lot of them mean.

I'm not sure if some of them have any negative meanings... I'm personally not offended by any.  If there is or could be a a negative meaning one, then I will suggest that past communities that removed it really benefited a lot from removing it.

I think all the ratings give you reputation points or so I thought, but it depends in which forum or category you receive them from.  Personally I think it should be okay for them to come from all forums I mean people can even earn them from their status so it's a bit silly if it's being excluded from other parts of the forums.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

The only thing that actually gives reputation is the like button. The others is just more of formality. Like, Thanks is for if you didn't want to actually comment thank you or you also didn't want to give them a reputation point (like). The Winner one is something I wouldn't know about. As for the others are more of a random reaction which I understood the confuse, sob, and laughter ones but not so much on the pogger, lul, and hype one. I guess its just a way to show reaction rather than actually posting a comment. 

I also know that they (can be one person or more, not singling someone out) do not want to add negative reputation reaction since it'll backfire a lot. Or at least that's what I was told by a certain person/people. 

pfs.gif.0454852536d8143a5e368e9f7a24a8a4.gif

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

Posted  Edited by DragoonMCL

In my opinion, I don't necessarily agree with ALL of what you're saying. Points 1 and 2 I disagree with, yet 3-5 are also really good points that I'm guilty (3) of doing. So, I'm just going to go over each of these 5 points. *Ahem*

Point 1: I disagree with Like, Thanks, and Winner all server the same purpose. In my opinion, it's just that people use them for the same purpose. If someone's made a cool post, then I'm going to react with "Like". If there's someone that tries to make something/do something for the community, then I'm going to react with "Thanks". If someone is trying to show something off, such as an accomplishment, then I'm going to react with "Winner". Of course, I don't always use these in this regard, but this is usually how I think of them.

Point 2: Emotes being "Facebook-Like" are fine in my opinion. They only need to be basic, and they don't need to be super "memey". (See Point 4) In fact, I prefer the time before we had the Pepe Emotes added, where we had Emotes that I used to use. However, I forgot what they were called, and sadly, they can't be used since they're gone. 

Point 3: Negativity. You're completely right. Discouragement, arguments, and all of the sort isn't really worth it when it comes to a goddamn GAMING FORUM. In all honesty, it's not really worth it, and those Emotes are really used in that manner in a degrading way. I've used the Emotes (Specifically Confused) in that regard, and others have used those two Emotes on me. I recently decided to quit using the Confused Emote, as if I feel bad when it's used on me, I have no clue how it'd make other people feel.

Point 4: Do those 3 specific Emotes that you listed have any sort of merit? No. In my opinion, they're more "memey". We have the "Haha" Emote for a reason. As for the Pepe Emotes, those just look funny because "Pog" became a big meme just a while back.  At this point, there's really no reason to have it anymore, because in my opinion, it's not, and was never funny to have. Using basic Emotes like a "Surprised" Emote (Not a memey one with PIkachu, but just a normal Emoji face) is much simpler and in my opinion is better than using a memey one. (Extra note: The Chatbox Emotes on the Forum Chatbox page is okay, as half of the time, nobody really takes it seriously)

Point 5: Reputation. I'm going to say something right now. I believe that we should get some kinder + simpler Emotes on the Emote Sidebar, (The thing that slides open when you hover your mouse over the Empty Heart on PC) and that all of them should give Reputation Points. It's going to be much easier for everyone, and it will create more positivity on the Forums instead of having people get chastised for their opinions without words and with Emotes.

In conclusion, you've probably either read my stuff, or you were just like "MY EYES, IT'S TOO MUCH!" Basically, I'd rather have positive Emotes on the Reaction Sidebar instead of leaving it the way it is or changing it to just one Reaction. Anyway, yeah, that's it. Thanks for reading this, if you read it all the way through.

Edited by DragoonMCL

[Signature]

Achievements

All great points made so far and thank you for the responses - looking forward to more.

For the most part I suppose it comes down to personal opinion. In my opinion, I think one reaction would be best. This is because I prefer simplicity and would personally like to avoid the reactions looking cluttered. What I think the odd part about the current system is to me is how arbitrary it is. Yes, anything we do is arbitrary - one, two, none.. but right now it's a random assortment of emotions, memes, etc. A "like" could mean many different things (you thought it was funny, you appreciated it, you agreed with it, etc.) and I think that's the good part about it. If you start getting too deep into the specifics because you want to have a reaction for different emotions, situations, etc., there'd be no stopping point.

Sadly Omegalol in particular is used to make fun of people who have something serious to talk about or are leaving/resigning, yet it's used by some people (on occasion, managers as well) to mock the person. I feel it'd be good to get rid of it.

Achievements

1 hour ago, Duck. said:

Sadly Omegalol in particular is used to make fun of people who have something serious to talk about or are leaving/resigning, yet it's used by some people (on occasion, managers as well) to mock the person. I feel it'd be good to get rid of it.

yeah, unfortunately :omegalul: has become one of the "passive agressive" emotes. I liken it to a karen trying to ruin a retail employees life for simply existing and saying "no you can't use that expired coupon for another store at this store for these items that don't even match the coupon", but that's just my brain.

I personally like the omega lol emote when someone post something funny for me that the best reaction 

.eJwVzEEOhCAMAMC_8ABaC0L0NwQJkogltJ42-_ddM_f5mGdeZjen6pAd4GiSeR5WlGeqxVbmepU0mtjMHZJqymcvtwrQhs6vHqMPjrYXOES3hCWsRIjR-UjQ-r8RO-5qvj_gJCIu.t46Loz1YH4dqwtzyP7UxuKymbe4Capture.PNG.4c9bc5dbf21f8a1679c5bd711f1f064e.PNG

Former Manager On Hide and Seek

Former Admin  on prop hunt

Former trail admin on breach 

Firstly, I'd like to clarify:

15 hours ago, Bae said:

The only thing that actually gives reputation is the like button.

This is not true; omegalul, hypers, confused and sad give 0 reputation score, everything else gives +1 (bringing this up will make sense when I talk about removing reactions later).

I read up about when we discussed this sometime ago in the Staff Discord and my stance is still the same; having only a singular "like" reaction (or whatever, something positive, "thumbs up") would be beneficial. I believe this for a few reasons:

• It mustn't feel good for users when they get a passive aggressive reaction
  • Current reactions don't provide good feedback
    • If you have negative feelings, "omegalul", "confused" or "haha" are not good descriptors on how to improve or what is wrong
  • Having only a single positive provides good feedback, it means.. obviously, you support/found joy in/agree with whatever was posted - there's no guessing as to what "winner" or "thanks" (which is a trophy?) means.
  • Having only a single positive reaction would encourage people to verbalise when they do not support/find joy in/agree with whatever is posted, this encourages more discussion and hopefully better outcomes
  • Apart from the passive aggressive emotes, all others have massive overlap.

I figured a way to remove reactions without removing rep score from users, so that isn't a concern if we do want to remove certain reactions from the forums. Not sure how we'd want to go about deciding what to do though; perhaps I should just take the reigns and start from the ground up with only "Like". Thoughts?

Thanks for bringing this back up, @Dominic.

Contact me here or on Discord @Liloz01#9857

For help with anything Forum related: 

I think instead of bringing back those emotes, how about those who want more emotes suggest new ones that carry a valid meaning, similar to the like/heart one. I agree with the removal of the emotes that can be misconstrued but I think we need more than one emote. 

i have no suggestions for new emotes though

Director of Divisions and Physion Unturned Division Leader

amongus_AdobeExpress.gif

xQc on GFL Surf 7/16/22