positive

Help me please

Posted  Edited by positive

Hey.

So i've finished my military service a couple months back, and i'm looking for a change, I mean a big change of direction in my life right now. I'd like to put myself out there, see the world. Wondering if any of you magnificent bastards could give me any thoughts or advice, that'd be great.

The type of job i'm looking for would be overseas, temporary and mostly stress-free. I'd love to fly over to New Zealand or Australia for over 6 months and work in a farm. This is my line of thought, just stress-free, not neccesarily very highly paying, temporary job for a guy who wants to relax and earn a little bit of money and see the world.

Offer anything you'd think would be appropriate. There are no deal breakers for me. Completely open minded. Anywhere around the world is a go.

Something worth to note, I have a german citizenship, should help a lot with the proccess of visa, jobs etc.

Edited by positive

Unfortunately NZ isn't allowing anyone in that isn't a Citizen or a Permanent Resident, and considering the current world climate, I think it'll be hard to go anywhere in the world at this time for work.

Sorry man, I'd suggest maybe try get into the freight industry, go on boats and travel around on them delivering things.

Achievements

7 hours ago, Waylon Smithers said:

I mean if you really want when the borders re-open Australia is desperate for farmhands.

Could you elaborate please? What places in australia are mostly noted for being farm lands? are there airports nearby? how far from the capital? How much is the average pay in Australia? What are the living costs? How many hours does a work day usually have in AU?

6 hours ago, Joshy said:

Do you have a bachelors degree?

Nope, just recently released from service. I suppose a bachelors degree is irrelevant anyways since i'm mostly aiming for an outdoor type of job

Edited by positive

Posted  Edited by Joshy
7 hours ago, positive said:

I suppose a bachelors degree is irrelevant anyways since i'm mostly aiming for an outdoor type of job

I wont press you on it although I will say that a lot of skilled jobs are outdoor too you don't have to be an engineer, medical doctor or lawyer... engineering one I'll say even that has a lot of outdoor opportunities too I've even looked at one position that asked if I'd be willing to live in a tropical jungle (sounded like a movie).  If there's any chance that it could possibly be of interest even the slightest bit I would encourage to at least look at available programs to see if something might catch your attention.  One of the cooler outdoor ones I've seen from a friend since high school is they studied geology.  Their job is to travel a lot, go hiking, look at rocks, and take a few measurements like temperature; they also get called to look at the land after there has been a landslide or sink hole.

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

I am pretty sure if you look up on Google for farmhand jobs Australia, you will find the opportunities. There are tons of outdoor jobs out there, going from farming to fruitpicking. I would suggest to do some research since I don't know a lot about it myself. I moved to Australia in December. All I know is that in case of seasonal working, your working holiday visa can be extended to 2 years.

Look into the different kinds of visas for australia, see what you can and can't do.

There is a lot of information on Google. Use words as 'seasonal work, Victoria or any other state'.

Might be harder to get in right now, because of Covid-19, but you'll see.

Good luck! 

SignautreOne.gif

On 10/11/2020 at 4:42 PM, positive said:

Hey.

So i've finished my military service a couple months back, and i'm looking for a change, I mean a big change of direction in my life right now. I'd like to put myself out there, see the world. Wondering if any of you magnificent bastards could give me any thoughts or advice, that'd be great.

The type of job i'm looking for would be overseas, temporary and mostly stress-free. I'd love to fly over to New Zealand or Australia for over 6 months and work in a farm. This is my line of thought, just stress-free, not neccesarily very highly paying, temporary job for a guy who wants to relax and earn a little bit of money and see the world.

Offer anything you'd think would be appropriate. There are no deal breakers for me. Completely open minded. Anywhere around the world is a go.

Something worth to note, I have a german citizenship, should help a lot with the proccess of visa, jobs etc.

If you're really looking for farm work, back where I'm from (Nicaragua) you can start off at a cheap price (assuming you made a lot of money in the military & didn't spend it on hookers & alcohol).

100 acres for something around 70k, which isn't bad because its 100 acres. 

I wouldn't say it's stress-free, because of the current economic situation down there, but it is cheap land, and you could probably get cheap cattle as well (~$500 per head)

If you're not looking to own your own farm, I'd say looking for it on Google like Heaven said above.

Also because of COVID, I wouldn't really suggest it, not the best healthcare there, and here's a link to the full travel advisory.

Former Gmod Prop Hunt Admin

Former Media Team Team Leader

Former Media Team GFX Member

Thank you everybody for your input. @HeavenlyAsHell, can you tell me a little bit more about the move to australia? adjusting, the entire proccess, how are you feeling about it? It'd be a great help. Feel free to message me in private as well.

I would like to reemphasize as I wasn't clear enough in the first post I guess; I am perfectly aware of the current issues about traveling in general right now. However, i'm not going to stop that from planning my plans, and if there's anything I learned from this situation it's that we all have to be 100% dynamic and be able to change, which is great for me because it's exactly what i'm looking for after 3 goddamn years of military which was tough especially in the unit I chose to get into. Although, I am absolutely grateful, as it helped me evolve from one end to another when it comes to mental resillence and physical capabilites.

This is a hard time for everybody, and i'm just starting to search for myself out there. I'm not sure I can perfectly explain it, but the military kind of disconnects you from yourself, from who you are.

At this point in my life I have no idea what I want to do, but I am going to try as much as possible and am definitely not letting a pandemic stop me. Whether it's fruitpicking in australia whenver flying there allows it, or learning to code or playing guitar. What I need right now is to taste everything, everywhere.

I'd love to hear anyone's suggestions. Like I said, 100% open mind.

Edited by positive

On 10/12/2020 at 8:45 AM, Duck. said:

Unfortunately NZ isn't allowing anyone in that isn't a Citizen or a Permanent Resident

That's not true.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/covid-19/covid-19-information-for-employers#border-exceptions

There have been dozens of cases of foreigner workers being allowed into New Zealand for Agriculture and Horticultural work.

On 10/15/2020 at 4:28 AM, positive said:

Thank you everybody for your input. @HeavenlyAsHell, can you tell me a little bit more about the move to australia? adjusting, the entire proccess, how are you feeling about it? It'd be a great help. Feel free to message me in private as well.

Well, for me it wasn't too hard. Since I moved in with my boyfriend, I already had a place to live and someone to provide for me until I find a job! 

So I applied for my visa in July 2019 and it got approved about a week later. You have to be able to show some bank statements that show you have enough money to sustain yourself for a bit. (Around 3k - 5k euro). After that, I planned my flight. My boyfriend came to visit me in Belgium first and then we went to Oz together. 

As far as bringing my stuff, I had to really look at what I wanted to bring and what I left in Belgium. I only had 2 suitcases to fill up. I also had to leave my dog behind. (Don't worry, I got him while I was still living with my parents and he loves my mum so he's with her!)

About Australia itself. Australia is a wonderful country with lots of great people. There's so many cultures together here and I love it. Coming from a country that is very judgy and all about 'getting married, get a house, have children' and have a career, it was really refreshing to come here and feel the weight of expectations fall off my shoulders. Being away from my parents, meant I could finally do what I want to do. I'm not a career person and I get easily stressed so all I wanted in my life is to find a place where I could just be happy. Once Covid is better here, I plan to find a job at a bar somewhere at the beach. That's the dream at least!

The hardest thing about moving here is missing my family. I love my parents to death and my brothers and me are very close. I have missed a lot of family time since I've moved and that hurts. And Covid is not helping. Ill be lucky if I would see them in 2021. I even missed my grandfather's funeral and I was not able to say goodbye. That's something that I feel guilty about. 

About housing. Keep in mind that Australia is very expensive when it comes to renting (at least in comparison to Belgium). For our 2 bedroom apartment, we pay about 1740 AUD a month. This apartment is fairly new and we are at a more expensive part of Victoria. 

Be sure to do research. You can ask more questions if you need! 

SignautreOne.gif