Ben

Forum Moderator Applications is now open!

Hi everyone! As you all have seen, we posted a meeting notes that includes about opening Forum Moderators application. Well, I had a quick talk with the moderators, so our goal is to accept 1-2 people, leave it open for 30 days - we'd be deciding in that day or the day after (~Feb. 4th, 2021). We've all agreed that we'd like to have folks in region of Asia and/or Oceania, however, the regions doesn't matter.

Everyone is welcome to apply! 

Click me to apply if you're interested

76561198043643390.png

Posted  Edited by Joshy - Edit Reason: Struggling with spoilers :(

Please don't test forum mods 🙂  You get free warning points with it.

Plus it's staring at me and little ducky hat chirp chirp omg it's so cuuutttteee.

U4xZAmL.png

I'm very excited to see applications open up!

Below are just my personal opinion.

We might give some feedback on the applications.  It's doesn't mean it's a deal-breaker; targeted feedback also does not mean it's the only thing they are looking at or looking for.  For example: If you have low quality posts and we ask about it does not mean that on the Grapes of Wrath application we're going to immediately +1 it ignoring all else.  (For reference: Grapes of Wrath is a lengthy book)

Another hint I'll say on the last set of applications some people didn't make it through not because of what they said on their application...  it's what they didn't say.  If something happened or you think it can work against you try not to hide it because what happened when we meet up on Discord to discuss applications is another moderator might bring it up on your behalf... problem is you wont be there to defend it (hopefully someone will).  That was the killer for some people last time despite excellent applications.  The approach I recommend when you bring something up is try to put a positive spin on it like a lessons learned or how you are working it to improve/minimize the concern (and note that naming and shaming looks bad if you want to blame another person).  I can't promise that bringing it up on your application will save you, but finding out while discussing it will probably not be good.

Role of the forum moderator is not hard.  How can you stand out?  Throw us a bone.  Tell us why you are going to be a really good candidate.  Measurable things are helpful.  If you say that you are active, but your post count is like 40, then it's going to be really hard (for me) to tell.  As you can tell it's not always deal-breaking and some people can come in and do well, but please make your application an easy yes instead of a coin toss 😉  You might be right about post count does not prove activity, but why should they pick someone with 40 post count who says they are active over the person with 200+ post count who also says they are active?  If being a forum moderator is easy (it is), then person who says they are active with 200+ post count looks like the better deal to me and can probably do just as well...  doesn't mean that the 40 post count is bad, but tell us why you're better.

Ben is already hinting at some needs or goals (schedule/coverage).  I think that's worth mentioning in your application too if you can fulfill it or cover some of it partially.

I personally think one of the questions is a trick question.  My favourite answer and the one I used on my application is you just follow the guidelines.  If it's gray area or it's not in the guidelines, then you can work with the team or a senior/leader to see what they think and partner with them on a decision.

Edited by Joshy
Struggling with spoilers :(

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Tfw the mod application for a forum board in 2021 needs to have more work put in it than is necessary to get a real job somewhere

tfw when it's true for most GFL roles and you have a real job

f9e4c615c55da3e6328df85dc0152105b2ad35a4

It's not too bad, though, and I promise to anyone who can't see applications, that people who can't walk on water still manage to make it through 🙂 I was just meaning to give some friendly suggestions and most certainly a real job might ask you why you think you are a good candidate and a little bit about your experience.  We probably wont ask you about the electric field inside of the depletion region of a n-channel MOSFET (although candidates should be familiar with Poisson's equation and know that the electric field outside of it is zero; also that doping the channel strains it and decreases its length so brushing up on your semiconductor physics will be helpful /s)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't like double posting, but I wanted to bump up a reminder that there is about two weeks left.  It's a good time to put in an application so that the team can give some feedback and think about you if you're interested in the role.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted  Edited by Joshy

The applications were very good this round!  Two of them were outstanding and so even if you didn't get in this round I think a lot of you have potential for future openings.  Great job and welcome to the team!

edit:

I've locked and unpinned this because applications are closed.

Edited by Joshy

• Joshy locked and unpinned this topic