Roy

Global Chat Between All GFL Discord Servers

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to see if anybody would be interested in this idea. I am working on a new Discord community/brand with @Bue. and I made a couple open-source Discord bots for the community. One of the bots is called "Global Chat" and I figured GFL may be interested in this bot. What the bot does and examples may be found below.

Basically, the suggestion/idea would be to link one global channel (preferably a new channel separated from the rest) on each GFL Discord server. This would allow everybody from all Discords to chat in this one channel. Messages from other Discord servers would be submitted from a Webhook (as you can see in the above thread).

The reason I'm suggesting this is the Discord servers themselves are very isolated which is understandable of course. In the end, each division/server has its own culture/community (always have and will). However, this may be something neat which'll allow everybody from all Discord servers to communicate in.

If there is a demand for this suggestion, I will implement moderation tools into the bot. We can go about that in a couple ways.

• Set the username from the Webhook to the user + tag ID which'll allow Moderators to locate the malicious user faster or w/e.
  • Create a ban list and allow anybody with a certain permission (e.g. Kick/Ban Members) to add users to this ban list which'll prevent that specific user from using the global chat.

Thanks!

Hidden

I don't think it's a good option for a general discussions, but I can see it as a potential for global GFL Support across the Discords for folks directly joining discords, e.g., GMod Discord or Rust Discord and asking for support, which is something that I really like about it. 

76561198043643390.png

4 minutes ago, Akris said:

All I’m gonna say is it’s a good idea I personally don’t see the point in having it. No offense 

No offense taken haha. I'm suspecting a majority to be against the idea, but figured I'd share anyways to see if I'm wrong or w/e.

1 minute ago, Ben said:

I don't think it's a good option for a general discussions, but I can see it as a potential for global GFL Support across the Discords for folks directly joining discords, e.g., GMod Discord or Rust Discord and asking for support, which is something that I really like about it. 

It would be a bad idea to have it for general discussions. My suggestion was to make a new channel in each Discord server called "#global-chat" for example and link all of them.

As for the second part, I actually had an idea about that which I'll address soon (looking to use it in the new community as well). Basically, I'd like to create "streams" which are basically global chats for certain channels.

Hidden

I think it's interesting to say the least. I like the idea of letting people from different parts of GFL more easily talk to other parts of GFL without having to join another discord. Though, it isn't very hard for people to just join another discord if they are interested in different parts of the community.
I agree with Ben in that it'd be something that could definitely work with support channels.. However, I don't see any harm in having #global-chat channels as long as they are able to be moderated, and it may make the community feel a bit less separated.

1023626940_forumsignature.thumb.png.6378b8a403e329b9a4bf21267af67896.png
Made by @Clavers

Posted  Edited by Sir_Ross - Edit Reason: make it look prettier · Hidden
Hidden

A semi-alive community in GMod I am a part of (MoronYard) has a system (I assume a SourceMod plugin) they call /csc (Cross-Server Chat) where a player can type a message using /csc and it will go to all other servers after a second with [<server name>] Sir Ross : message. 

I assume it bounces off the website as the servers all share a TF2 like inventory for items, cosmetics, crafting, etc.

People use it to advertise items they are trading, selling, etc or to let other people know that a server is popping off and to join it.

In order to prevent abuse, it is only useable by donators.

Personally, I think it would work best if games could communicate to servers on their own game, but doing a CS:S - CS:GO pipeline would probably piss everyone off.

Edited by Sir_Ross
make it look prettier

CSS server Host - CSS Server Mieten - VeryGames

34 minutes ago, Sir_Ross said:

A semi-alive community in GMod I am a part of (MoronYard) has a system (I assume a SourceMod plugin) they call /csc (Cross-Server Chat) where a player can type a message using /csc and it will go to all other servers after a second with [<server name>] Sir Ross : message. 

I assume it bounces off the website as the servers all share a TF2 like inventory for items, cosmetics, crafting, etc.

People use it to advertise items they are trading, selling, etc or to let other people know that a server is popping off and to join it.

In order to prevent abuse, it is only useable by donators.

Personally, I think it would work best if games could communicate to servers on their own game, but doing a CS:S - CS:GO pipeline would probably piss everyone off.

Is this regarding in-game server chat to Discord? @Dreae made a relay which worked very well and included moderation tools. We had it enabled for our CS:S servers to the official Discord server, but the chat was dead most of the time (a big factor was our CS:S servers mostly being dead, though).

Just to clarify, the suggestion was regarding global chats within Discord and wouldn't have anything to do with in-game on our servers.

The "[<server name>]" is something I considered as well. At first, I had it like this:

RQ56llMyh7.PNG

But that got annoying to be honest. I think it'd be too long to put into the username within the web hook as well.

Posted  Edited by Sir_Ross · Hidden
Hidden
51 minutes ago, Roy said:

Is this regarding in-game server chat to Discord? @Dreae made a relay which worked very well and included moderation tools. We had it enabled for our CS:S servers to the official Discord server, but the chat was dead most of the time (a big factor was our CS:S servers mostly being dead, though).

Just to clarify, the suggestion was regarding global chats within Discord and wouldn't have anything to do with in-game on our servers.

The "[<server name>]" is something I considered as well. At first, I had it like this:

RQ56llMyh7.PNG

But that got annoying to be honest. I think it'd be too long to put into the username within the web hook as well.

There isn't a connection with the Discord for MoronYard, it was purely for sending messages to other GMod servers. 

You could make bots for each server so that the message comes from a properly named bot, or just use tags in front of messages

Here is a different example of a bot in a minecraft community I am in where a player (I crossed the names out) is on a minecraft server (specifically they are on the main hub server and the other is on a server called SSMP) and they are talking to a person on discord as well as to each other via the relay bot.

*Yes, I use Compact mode on Discord, fight me

image.thumb.png.51ff461e4c2b74df9c1e674bf96aac3e.png

The bot communicates with a minecraft plugin on the server via IRC. It is a relic of an IRC channel that used to be where we talked until moving to Discord.

Also, the Surf RPG is alive with players constantly. CS:S shall not fall.

Edited by Sir_Ross

Hidden

In my heart I like the idea a lot and I dislike very much how segregated the different parts of the community is.

I think a lot of people might quickly go with their heart and say they would like this.  I would like this.  I think the way the community is currently put together does not have a good infrastructure to support this idea.  This would have been a super excellent idea in 2016 when we were discussing ideas like global operators and and had global admins because the same concepts and challenges would align with this idea, and we could have more easily massaged an idea like this into the direction of the community.  What instead happened is anything that brought GFL together more centrally was struck down aggressively while the scattering was nurtured, and it's extremely easy to see on Discord.  Visiting different parts of GFL is like visiting a completely different community that just happens to have GFL in its name, and so the culture clash would be very difficult to regulate or simply tolerate.  We're already doing something similar with servers becoming "official" and it's looking a little wobbly to me.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Hidden

I could see this being a good idea as long as a slow chat option is enabled, there are a LOT of gfl members and this chat could be congested far too quickly.

what the fuck are you looking at? I don't do GFL anymore besides the discord

Posted  Edited by Infra · Hidden
Hidden

I dislike the idea of implementing this, @Joshy already covered most of what I would've said anyway. I just don't see any benefit to this, and while it is a pretty cool feature, I foresee this being a giant pain to maintain and regulate.

I like the idea, I just dislike implementing it in our current state of disarray when it comes to Discord servers. Perhaps this is something to keep in mind for the near future! For now though, I don't think we should implement this.

Edited by Infra

Discord: Infra#0001 | Steam: /id/infra- | GitHub: /1zc

Executive Director & CS:GO Division Leader          

Server Manager of CS:GO KZ

image_10.png

Posted  Edited by Sir_Ross · Hidden
Hidden
20 minutes ago, JGuary55 said:

I support this idea, nothing will change tbh, its a regular chat but global, itll be moderated the exact same as any other channel, We can ask all discords if they want it or not and if they dont so be it.

We need it to be donator only, if at all. The average person on ZE will say things that the rest of GFL will be upset with and main GFL will say stuff ZE will be upset with...

Edited by Sir_Ross

Posted  Edited by JGuary55 · Hidden
Hidden
2 minutes ago, Sir_Ross said:

We need it to be donator only, if at all. The average person on ZE will say things that the rest of GFL will be upset with...

It would be a official thing. And we would have to follow a global rule set so ZE wont be excused from saying anything bad...

But no one knows what were gonna do yet, itll be some time till it happens.

Edited by JGuary55

image.jpeg.c5698c2d3670a49d660e08b65bcee65a.jpeg

Hidden
1 minute ago, JGuary55 said:

It would be a official thing. And we would have to follow a global rule set so ZE wont be excused from saying anything bad...

ZE would most likely rather opt out than have outsiders dictate what they can and can't say

Hidden

In my point of view, suggestions can be accepted, put on hold and implement at later date. Rushing on things to implement will always lead into bad things and bad results.

So with that said, this suggestion is on hold and we'll look into it at later date.

Locked.

76561198043643390.png

• Ben locked this topic
Hidden
4 hours ago, JGuary55 said:

4 hours ago, Sir_Ross said:

ZE would most likely rather opt out than have outsiders dictate what they can and can't say

Just to clarify, we do not have any intent of enforcing any major rule changes on our non-official sub-communities presently. (e.g., CSS ZE)

76561198043643390.png