BestKevin

For anyone that knows me, bye!

Hello everyone,

Don't know if there is a way to specify what server I am leaving but the only one I play on is Rotation so that should clarify it pretty quick for you.  I have only been here for 5 days so I don't expect many people to know me or if the people that do are even on the forums.  

The primary reason I am leaving is what I consider to be unjust punishment for what I saw as harmless trolling, I am sure the people that actually know me over this time knew that I was not being serious about exploiting any systems.  I believe it is unjust due to the lack of action I took (could have been quiet and just done it, if I really wanted) and also the general use of "stickers" was not banned or being punished.  I know to the higher staff like Infra, Ben, and the other guy that commented on my appeal do not have any idea who I am or what I am like so I guess it came off as a serious attempt to bypass a (at the time) less than 12 hour GIF ban on the Rotation general channel.

Unfortunately I do not appreciate bans of that sort, it was reduced from perma to two weeks with a mute, but I feel like it could have been handled differently.  I also believe that perma banning someone then reducing it ONLY if I was to appeal is not a great system, the fact it was reduced that quickly means the initial punishment was not just.

Appeal for context: https://gflclan.com/forums/topic/75777-bestkevins-general-muteban-appeal/?tab=comments#comment-350696

So anyway, for the actual "leaving" post, I am glad to have met the people I did, I am glad the admins on the server took some of my comments and jokes as the joking that it actually was when I was speaking about anticheats and hacks (since I never used any I never got punished, but I was sus, I admit).  Those admins turned out to be really good friends and stood up for me from time to time, and I appreciate that.  There are a lot of good people on the server and I had a great time playing, racked up over 50 hours in 5 days and enjoyed it while it lasted.  I do hope that Rotation continues to thrive and you guys keep having a place to enjoy yourselves, the map edits/custom maps are great and Paul is doing a great job managing the server.

Might see you guys in the future, and if I do I hope the team on Rotation is still the same, you guys rock!

Goodbye,

Best Kevin the VIP aka "Kevin".

Just now, VilhjalmrF said:

leaving me already when we just met 😞

I am sorry V(random letters) F, all joking aside you were cool too, and I could probably pronounce your name if I tried 🙂

10 minutes ago, BestKevin said:

I am sorry V(random letters) F, all joking aside you were cool too, and I could probably pronounce your name if I tried 🙂

I'm always down to play games with ya bro so I can teach ya. Hit me up if you want. Anyways cya around lad.

Average HL2RP Enjoyer.

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Joshy

I’m not a fan of people leaving and I view it as a flaw in our system, but at the same time we can’t be giving out free passes without paying the price somewhere.  The balance is admittedly difficult to achieve and a lot of times there is no exact “right” answer to go to.  I have yet to stumble upon a system that’s perfect.

When you get pulled over for a traffic violation the police officer shouldn’t have to know you in order to make a decision.  You either broke the rules or you didn’t.  It’s the same for us.  I don’t know you and I’m sure you’re a good person.  Nobody here “wants” to punish you or is out to get you, but our hands were tied when you made a bad call.  Luckily it’s not permanent and so you’re certainly welcome to revisit or stay, but if you cause any problems please don’t be surprised if we intervene just as any other reasonable person in some position of enforcement would.

Good luck wherever you may go.

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Posted  Edited by Duck.

I highly disagree with the ban, and said as much in the Discord. It seems you were made an example of while staff who were already spamming stickers get off scott free and now you've been unfairly punished and feel like you should leave.  I do believe higher ups should be able to differentiate between what's a joke or not. To punish one but not the others shows some blatant bias happening. At least he wasn't actually participating in the spam, only saying he could loophole. Note that I'm not advocating for mass bans, rather consistency when handing out punishments. EDIT: It seems he was participating in it, however so were many others.

Nevertheless, I hope you still pop up on Rotation, you're fun to play with and it sucks you just got here and are already leaving.

I'll put this here: This biased decision making is going to make people leave, no one wants to be in a place where upper management punish one person for something and not anyone else.

Edited by Duck.

Achievements

I came back to roatation recently solely because I saw some old friends on that I hadn't spoken to in a while. inadvertently I ended up meeting people like you, Kirby and Polo who had shown that despite the server just starting to come back up again that there might be potential for it to actually have a stable community of regulars once again. But it's time and time again that decisions are made by people that you or many other new ttt regulars may never have even heard of that prompts this to happen. As someone who's been in your shoes for situations like this too many times it's a shame. There is way too much of a disconnect between the actual playerbase and the people that moderate the discord / oversee everyone who is apart of the servers. This is why you end up with people getting perma banned from discord or from the community for reasons that in no sense should ever really be permanent. The apathy that is shown so often to just have no hesistation in making commited players disappear is astonishing and I've never seen it anywhere else. Of course, there will always be true bad apples and bad influences in the community, but I think it seems to be a general consensus that this was quite overboard. Granted it was reduced but the principle remains. I should be near the last person to defend this community at all, but the experience on the server and the experience many other places in the community can be quite different. Where ever you decide to go I hope you can enjoy the gamemode for what it is, without the politics, as that's all most of us simply want to do. 

See ya around man,

Achievements

This makes me very sad 😞 

I don’t want you to go…

I don’t agree with the ban at all

I think you were made an example of and your ban was because they were pissed off at the situation.. If it were 5-10 minutes later when everyone chilled the fuck out I reckon you’d have gotten a laugh and everything moved on, the fact you got a reduction shows this. 

i genuinely want you to stay and if there is anything at all I could do or say to make this happen I want to.. 

5 days you’ve been here, it is RARE someone is here for this long and already in my eyes cemented themselves as friends and potential pillars for the sever…

please don’t go :’( 

Discord: Clavers#0001 | Steam: /id/ClaversGaming 

GFX Team Leader & GFX Designer       

sigscreencap.JPG.9ee97099f113f107ecad0c110745d8dc.JPG

Posted  Edited by BestKevin
7 hours ago, Joshy said:

I’m not a fan of people leaving and I view it as a flaw in our system, but at the same time we can’t be giving out free passes without paying the price somewhere.  The balance is admittedly difficult to achieve and a lot of times there is no exact “right” answer to go to.  I have yet to stumble upon a system that’s perfect.

When you get pulled over for a traffic violation the police officer shouldn’t have to know you in order to make a decision.  You either broke the rules or you didn’t.  It’s the same for us.  I don’t know you and I’m sure you’re a good person.  Nobody here “wants” to punish you or is out to get you, but our hands were tied when you made a bad call.  Luckily it’s not permanent and so you’re certainly welcome to revisit or stay, but if you cause any problems please don’t be surprised if we intervene just as any other reasonable person in some position of enforcement would.

Good luck wherever you may go.

Generally the laws I am breaking are well known and everyone follows them, this law (regardless of who placed it) was not known to me, I was not informed of the law when utilizing the stickers, and also did not know who placed this new temporary law, and again, stickers were not banned so I don't see how in any way this was a loophole.  The ban reason on Discord was for "instigating people into getting muted" but it was never even stated that using stickers was punishable in any way.

Saying it was a director after the fact doesn't help much, I believe proper moderation would have been the removal of my message and a DM or strict warning not to do such a thing.  The trigger finger on Infra was a bit too fast and I am not sure what the intent was but again, I should not have had to appeal a permanent ban.

I agree with Pingu when he speaks of a disconnect between the community and the staff not included within it.  It is unfortunate that I was the target of this and I did not intend to make this an argument or an uproar, I just can't trust a system that operates like this.  I am not sure if you are used to people just leaving after a punishment like this is dealt but I am not one of those people.  I tried to appeal and removing the mute was unsuccessful after getting the perma removed, so it was not something that could be fixed through communication.

I had pride in having a clean record, no warns or slays or bans at all, unfortunately that is now gone over some basic discord drama that I wasn't even a part of.  I do feel that this would have been handled differently if I was more well known or part of the GFL team.

There is no good resolution to this, if things get resolved in some way and I come back it doesn't fix the root of the problem, and if the outcome doesn't change I can't just tuck tail and return because people don't want me to leave.

Edited by BestKevin

It really sucks that things did pan out the way that they did, and I'm sorry you got caught in the crossfire of it. I do hope that you don't necessarily associate the server just with the name on it, as I feel that the brand and the server itself are entirely two different things. I think Rotation really appreciates your presence, having gone from troll to player, and it sucks that the incident made the taste sour. There is only so much begging that we can do to bring you back, but the damage has been done, and I feel like it's out of our hands and it's too late to amend it.

Please feel free to join Rotation whenever, you're a chill guy and we had a great talk, and there's no reason for us to hold anything against you. So I wish you the best of luck in your future trolling (and then embracing) server endeavors, and I hope that you stop by again. 🤗

2 hours ago, Clavers said:

This makes me very sad 😞 

I don’t want you to go…

I don’t agree with the ban at all

I think you were made an example of and your ban was because they were pissed off at the situation.. If it were 5-10 minutes later when everyone chilled the fuck out I reckon you’d have gotten a laugh and everything moved on, the fact you got a reduction shows this. 

i genuinely want you to stay and if there is anything at all I could do or say to make this happen I want to.. 

5 days you’ve been here, it is RARE someone is here for this long and already in my eyes cemented themselves as friends and potential pillars for the sever…

please don’t go :’( 

Well with having friends and other individuals on I may stop on from time to time.  Maybe in the future if you guys are playing a different game or something we can regroup and have a good time.

I do also see you, and quite a few others as good friends at this point despite our starting point, I was surprised to have that much fun on a server in so short of a time and feel like I was part of the community, I haven't had that in a while.  The staff on the server was the core reason for that, and you guys should be proud of that.

7 minutes ago, AlphaOwl said:

It really sucks that things did pan out the way that they did, and I'm sorry you got caught in the crossfire of it. I do hope that you don't necessarily associate the server just with the name on it, as I feel that the brand and the server itself are entirely two different things. I think Rotation really appreciates your presence, having gone from troll to player, and it sucks that the incident made the taste sour. There is only so much begging that we can do to bring you back, but the damage has been done, and I feel like it's out of our hands and it's too late to amend it.

Please feel free to join Rotation whenever, you're a chill guy and we had a great talk, and there's no reason for us to hold anything against you. So I wish you the best of luck in your future trolling (and then embracing) server endeavors, and I hope that you stop by again. 🤗

I appreciate the post, I feel like we had a really good talk as well that night, I do not view rotation in any way as the cause of the issue, this was solely Discord.  I find it odd that the terminology "brand" and "just the name" is used when referring to it though, I personally had the feeling that the Rotation General chat was under the "jurisdiction" of the people on the server, thankfully it was just a Discord ban and not a game ban.  It is possible that I come back and play here and there but if the Discord can go from fun and joking and trolling straight to permabans I will probably avoid that.

10 minutes ago, BestKevin said:

I find it odd that the terminology "brand" and "just the name" is used when referring to it though

Similar to the disconnect per say of the community and staff, although we may be Rotation and we have regulars and staff, we're also still a part of a bigger thing that is GFL, which runs things differently to a degree than our own jurisdiction of the server or the overall Discord. I guess simply put, the server communities are kind of in their own bubbles, and whatever popped that bubble during the incident made the bubble wand person not too pleased. And unfortunately you were inside the bubble residue when it was wiped away (alright I'm getting a bit far with this analogy, we'll stop there). 

3 hours ago, AlphaOwl said:

Similar to the disconnect per say of the community and staff, although we may be Rotation and we have regulars and staff, we're also still a part of a bigger thing that is GFL, which runs things differently to a degree than our own jurisdiction of the server or the overall Discord. I guess simply put, the server communities are kind of in their own bubbles, and whatever popped that bubble during the incident made the bubble wand person not too pleased. And unfortunately you were inside the bubble residue when it was wiped away (alright I'm getting a bit far with this analogy, we'll stop there). 

Well the analogy wasn't bad, seems to go along with other statements I have heard.  Hopefully the bubble wand person can remain calm when the bubble is popped in the future.