Dano

Website Updates

Updated to 4.6.2. For information on what this update entails, read this resource: https://invisioncommunity.com/release-notes/

Contact me here or on Discord @Liloz01#9857

For help with anything Forum related: 

• 3 weeks later...

Implemented a shitty fix to prevent profiles from reloading themselves when you first click on them. If anybody runs their own forums and is interested, see: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/aurowora/AuroraScripts/main/ips/Fix Profile Reload.xml

71CFA5EE-923C-4740-ACF4-508B753C9AD7.png.92a0d40c0fa7773f71fea2453f581d16.png

(signature made by @Kaylode)

Previously known as Xy.

Twitter ❤️Ko-Fi ❤️Github

IMG_0248.jpg

ben_mixed_opinions.png

• 1 month later...

The websites default application has been changed to the Forums, (thanks @Aurora). This means that when visiting gflclan.com you are presented with GFL's Forums instead of the old, mostly useless home page. This is done in an effort to make a users experience less confusing as well as so GFLs new home pageTM (coming soonTM) can be worked on.

Member titles (the text that appears above your pfp on your posts) are back.

Previously known as Xy.

Twitter ❤️Ko-Fi ❤️Github

IMG_0248.jpg

ben_mixed_opinions.png

I changed the editor a bit. Shit was glitchy before, now should be... less glitchy and ugly.

Before:

Spoiler

unknown.png

After:

Spoiler

image.png

As you can hopefully tell, attachments are fixed now... they look way nicer and the editor box becomes highlighted when in focus to give a user some feedback on whether or not they are actually able to type and have it appear or not.

Edit: Found screenshots of this fix that illustrate the change way better

Before:

Spoiler

unknown.png

After:

Spoiler

unknown.png

Muuuuuuch better. It's just IPS Default again, lightly edited to match our theme.

merged a fuckload of code from the default IPS theme to our current theme because it's not shit and our code was shit

:half/:double/:sm/etc. selectors now exist and padding should now be far more consistent across the entire site as it is (largely) based off of variables - some still dont use variables, meh, problem for future me

will be looking to enforce colour variables more soon, most spacing variables are pretty O.K. now

the search thing in the top right is no longer cluttered to all hell, the text is contrasty and weird margin/padding was removed which just made it look dumb

shit update log, i know, i dont care, who reads these anyway?

press this big button to make a website bug report (if you notice anything dumb on the site) thanks

added some profile completion steps for:

• member titles 
  • pronouns 
  • signatures
  • login methods

also made the completion settings page less ugly

also made the profile completion reminder less ugly

once again heres the big button but this time its pink

press this big button to make a website bug report (if you notice anything dumb on the site) thanks

ok bye

topics without a post in the past 90 days (3 months) now have a big fat warning on them saying you probably shouldn't revive the thread, just make a new one this is to help people avoid breaking the necroposting rule outlined in the forum rules

looks like this:

image.png

cool, here's a button to report website issues BUT... this time its smaller and green

press me to report website issues

26/09/2021 1pm gmt edit:

noticed the inconsistent language ("topic" vs "thread") after seeing this for a 3rd of 4th time, lol... it's consistent now:

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Steam profile displays are now disabled because I suspect it may be related to some issues we've been having. It's generating a lot of error logs as it tries to fetch profile data for many users and fails, which indicates that it could potentially be flooding the SteamAPI with requests. We've been getting blocked, potentially as a result of this, which breaks donations and steam logins, so I figure it's better to disable this to see if that helps at all.

Previously known as Xy.

Twitter ❤️Ko-Fi ❤️Github

IMG_0248.jpg

ben_mixed_opinions.png

• 1 month later...

Forum Index Changes:

- ChatShoutbox has been moved from the front forum index, the next time it breaks (likely with the next Forum version update) it wont be fixed. Just use Discord!

- A card system has been implemented to replace the ShoutChatbox as well as serveral call to action widgets (such as sign up/sign in prompts, apply for member prompts, donation prompts, etc.)

> The card system is kind of dumb right now, the intent is to make it more intelligent in future by, for example, intregating with GFLBans in order to prompt Steam-linked users to appeal if they have an active ban.

Sidebar Changes:

- The Discord widget now appears in the sidebar of topics.

• 1 month later...
Here's a bunch of stuff that I changed/added/removed in the past 5 days

Forum Banner stuff

Spent most of my time the past few days fiddling with the forum banner to get it to an "acceptable" state... it's still kind of fiddly at tablet resolutions but for mobile and desktop it's pretty good. Particularly proud of the "view all GFL Discords" button, should help users find where they want to go much faster. Would love for it to hook up with GFLBans in future to have one of the cards prompt users to appeal their ban, if an active ban is detected on their account!

Currently looks like this:

Currently looks like this:

Used to look like this (I removed the pride gradients for presentation purposes):

and uh, yeah, before that it looked like this (yikes...):

Badge stuff

I'm testing out badges, which are basically milestones for stuff like time registered, posts made, etc. These are different to "awards" which show your position in GFL and "achievements" that show your participation or winning of events. I know, it's kind of confusing for now, ironing that out soon...

View someones badges by going to their profile:

image.png

Here's what the badges page looks like:

image.png

View badges on mobile:

image.png

Badges on mobile:

image.png

Yes, right now there's a big (ALPHA) warning and information message, that won't be in the final thing if the "final thing" ever comes lul.

Added a Forum

https://gflclan.com/forum/1733-testing-ground/

"Post your tests, drafts, etc. here. Topics posted here are infinitely editable and only visible to you and higher ups."

Topic Header stuff

Looks like this now:

image.png

Used to look like this:

image.png

Could possibly look like this, not too sure, let me know:

image.png

Other stuff

Added pagination back to the top of pages, it wasn't there for like... a while:

image.png

Breadcumb should work more reliably, you know, this thing:

image.png

Look how smooth this is omg:

Old topic warnings no longer show up on pinned/featured topics:

image.png

I also changed a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember in the past month, fuck! Changelogs suck I need to find a better way to keep them.

Let me know what you think about all of this, thanks.

All banned users are now in the banned users group and should be put there automatically from now on 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Added a thing to the main index

Added a promoted topic scroller thing on the front page. I intended for this to be mobile only but, eh, it fits okay on desktop as well.

Desktop:

Mobile:

The auto scroll stops if you hover or interact with the element. I think it's pretty neat. Topics that appear here can be picked by any member of staff above Forum Moderator with the "promote" button.

image.png

There is a known bug that when changing resolutions this feature just disappears. That is kind of intentional, kind of not, it will be fixed soon enough.

Meta descriptions on topics

There's little explaination things added to topics automatically now.

Unread

Spoiler

image.png

Locked/unlocked

Spoiler

image.png

Featured/unfeatured

Spoiler

image.png

Pinned/unpinned

Spoiler

image.png

Changed topic title

Spoiler

image.png

Time between

Spoiler

image.png

I'm looking to build on this feature by including meta descriptions of:

• What the topic title changed from and to. (Currently, descriptions just show what the title changed to)
  • When a topic is moved, and from where to where.
  • When a topic is promoted/unpromoted.

But those things likely wont be added for a while.

Profile Reporting

There's now a button on profiles that leads to a form for you to reports someones profile if it is in some way inappropiate e.g. NSFW profile picture, or slurs in their name.

Desktop:

Spoiler

image.png

Does not show on mobile yet. Will add it later.

Contact Us... issues.

This one is kind of funny. 

Here's a video of the issue in action:

Lol. From now on, the contact us button only shows up if you can actually use the contact form.

Random shit:

I edited some padding, margins, colour of buttons, links and stuff. I did not note down where.

The Discord widget is also an image now too to prevent the "0 online" bug that is annoying.  

That's all for now. I'm likely not going to do much stuff for the next few weeks that will effect the way the site looks... just lots of boring behind the scenes stuff, mainly cutting out old DBs, Forums, templates, etc. and replacing them.

I'm also going to be looking through our modified templates in order to... unmodify them. I would like for our Forum to be less custom for maintainability and consistency. We have WAAAY too much that is not inline with IPS' current version of CSS/html logic.

If you want to help out, let me know! https://gflclan.com/contact/

There is now a page that contains all databases that are abandoned, here: https://gflclan.com/abandoned-databases

The "Create" menu is also now a lot less... big. Due to all the abandoned databases being made read-only.

image.png

All updates from now on will be in this Forum:

https://gflclan.com/forum/1746-forum-information/

Seeya!